Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Are Mosques really sister-friendly?

Gediid   

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

quote:Originally posted by Gediid:

For Islam to be even considered a dynamic religion, I think we have to have a revised or updated editions of the holy Quran that keeps up with the ever changing world or a new prophet.That will never happen since Allah has already sent his last prophet and his word in the quran is his last to us humans.What ever time it was set for is immaterial here but the underlying laws in there are eternal.

The Koran is very dynamic, as it is meant for all muslims till the end of time. Even the Koran can be interpreted in so many ways, and that also makes it dynamic.
DA I think that was exactly what I just said

Baashi   

DA,

Well, quite frankly and honestly I don’t see neither a point nor well-reasoned argument in these posts of yours. My intention is not to attack you as a person but to call spade a spade and tell it as it is. If that is not enough then accept my apology. This discussion took this long and this many pages because of someone not listening.

Back to the topic, Are there Ahadiths that you think are authentic sources for Muslims? If yes which ones? If no, where do you get the instruction that tells you how to perform your prayers?

You seem to be muddying the water. The Hadith is giving them the option all the while men are obligated to perform their prayers in the masjid for getting full credit. Having more “ajar†is what it takes to get to the ultimate destination - the paradise. The more you have it the better chance you get earning Allah’s approval and entering it.

What you need to understand is that most folks in this forum are not against the idea of women having comfortable space in the Masjid. There is no conspiracy or discrimination against sisters nor there are institutional constraints that put women in disadvantage. My wife goes there not for praying but for lectures, as there is lecture serious as well as Q&A time given by well-known Somali scholars. It is simply combination of prioritizing and financial constraints that make the Masjids what they are.

I like to see the new Masjids to have classrooms, better bathrooms, better parking space, etc. But I understand it takes money to meet all these needs.

You are entitled to your opinions but when it comes to the religion there is a limit.

It is the lunch time!

Blessed   

^^Well put.

DA,

Don't just talk about it sis, BE about it. Instead of repeating the same argument over and over to SOLers, you could use that time to write to Majid Commitees, donate to your local masjid etc, etc. You'd be rewarded for it and hopefully get what you want... I'A.

P.S

The Sunnah compliments the Quran. We get laws and commands in the Quran. The Sunnah shows us how to implement it. Hadiths about Women in the Masjid would actually support your position.

Not that I want to get involved in this discussion (I would rather eat raw eggs), but I do believe some of the male nomads are over-looking the important role the masjid plays in Muslim communities in the West.

Yes, we are all aware that we can pray at home and receive more ajar for the simple act, but masjids are not solely for prayers. They are the hub of the community, providing crucial services such as education for men, women and children alike, support and counselling, fundraising for worthy causes and overall guidance on top of prayers.

Therefore, since the masjids are the best places for Muslims to meet other Muslims (so important in areas without much Muslim populations), get involved in community affairs, follow current affairs (from the Islamic perspective), it only seems fair that the building should meet the needs of all...especially in these countries, and in the current hostile environment against Muslims. And most critically because there are thousands of vulnerable muslim women who need these services and the masjid more than anything else.

Let's not be short-sighted.

Gediid   

^^^^^A very valid point indeed.If someone had raised that earlier then the debate would have had a very different twist to it.

Viking   

Aeryn Sun,

What you are talking about sounds like a Muslim commununity centre that might be anexxed to a mosque. I don't think that that was the post was about.

Gediid   

^^^^^In most cases its actually the mosques that provide the services that Aeryn has mentioned.I know the largest mosques in Virginia for example double as community centers and as a mosque.There's just not enough funds to have both.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Aeryn Sun:

Therefore, since the masjids are the best places for Muslims to meet other Muslims (so important in areas without much Muslim populations), get involved in community affairs, follow current affairs (from the Islamic perspective), it only seems fair that the building should meet the needs of all...especially in these countries, and in the current hostile environment against Muslims. And most critically because there are thousands of vulnerable muslim women who need these services and the masjid more than anything else.

Let's not be short-sighted.

Alla yaa cizak qallanjo...warkuba waa intaas! Qaaraanka wax ka bixi yaah!

Raula, maxaa saa u yeeshay waabad yeeli jirtay e...baarid buu iga noqday oo habsaan buu ahaa :D

raula   

^^^sidee?????

*some people are stubborn and too "progressive"( u know their is ahadith that says that too much questioning and unnecessary arguments is not good/dambi? as a muslim-Allah s.w. and his messenger muhammed s.a.w. knows it best).

Many relevant points have been made all along. The responses to some posts have been geared more towards the poster rather than the content. It's a shame that online personality takes precedence over content.

Viking   

Perhaps. However, there are many areas where there arent any Muslim community centres and the Mosque is the only provider of these services.

Aeryn Sun,

When this is the case, there usually isn't any problems becasue the events are held after (in between) prayer times; women aren't confined to their quarters and all space available is utilised.