Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Where do we go from here?

Baashi   

It seems the reconciliation talks have reached an impasse and despite the efforts of many, the warlords and the so-called leaders are unlikely to compromise and find a breakthrough out of this stalemate.

Granted this is not a piece of cake, after all the challenges before the attendees are enormous: re-instituting a form of government that can accommodate the interest of the warlords and the foreign elements, institutionalizing power sharing scheme in which the current winners of the tribal wars are guaranteed a piece of the pie, redistributing the real state and other assets that somehow get exchanged hands during the civil war, etc. but as the old maxim had it if there is a will there is a way. Even though this is not the type of political arrangement we should endorse, we have no influence in these deliberations.

If we fail this time there is a chance that Somalia will disintegrate into fiefdoms - fiefdoms that practice feudalism where the warlords and their business associates are the neo-aristocratic class. Northwest will likely get some sort of recognition not because the unilateral withdrawal from the Act of Union by the some of the concerned parties but because the lack of partner with whom they can negotiate with. Northeast will likely follow suit. Neighboring governments will likely be vigilant about their security and use that pretext to manage the fiefdom on their side of the border by proxy.

Despite all of this, the so-called leaders who have been congregating in Nairobi have failed once again by squandering yet another opportunity. If I have to guess the reasons, I would definitely include negative tribalism, distrust, greed, winner-takes all mentality, and foreign hands. If this is not a blunder by first order I don’t know what it is.

It pains me to see this reconciliation meeting in Nairobi end up like this. I’m very disappointed!

What now? What should happen if this one in fact ends up unproductive as the previous ones? Where do we go from there? War bal ka taliya!

Baashi.....We go nowhere. As long as people like you and me just sit around, and ask endless questions, Nothing will change. The young and educated must take charge now.After all the SYL were bunch of young determined men who saw light, and rose to the occasion. Somalia needs a cultural and political revolution to rid itself off ignorance and blind obedience to tribes. Sadly I think this generation won't able to do that, and we in the west are testament to that.

OG_Girl   

Well, I knew those vampires in Kenya wont do any thing so I wasn't putting any hope there . I was wondering what is choice B or C ... well I have no solution other than keep inlighting our new generation , as Allah said Quraan " God doesn't change nation till they change them selvies" so we have to do some thing , we should show them that they don't represent us .there is no magic will come from sky that is for sure , we should work and stop talking.

Salam

Baashi   

Che sxb you have been calling a revolution for quite sometimes. Given the state of the country, how you suppose this revolution is going to take effect?

OG_Girl, sis "we" have to do something that I concur. But what is this "something" that you suggest we should do?

Salaan...

Where do we indeed go from this point to thaaaat point?

Indeed, an humble question, Baashi.

First off, the majority of Soomaalis are witty, clever, intelligent and most are amazingly skeptical about politicians, that cannot easily be misled by anybody, because since most of themselves are wanna-be politician advisers, if not politicians. Even those whose support and nepotism to their warlords know that they are wrong, but only support because of some murky, centuries-old clan allegiance system.

Those some positive signs are the ones we should commend of. However, there are others that we took granted for.

We need to evaluate ourselves, we the public masses. Let's look closely what Soomaalis are. Let's take a glance what we take for granted.

Soomaaliya, in all over the world, is blessed something unique {and this is no exaggeration} in a league few other nations in this planet are members of:

Af Soomaali being one.

Diin: Islam, Sunni, 100 per cent.

Culture, tradition, heritage, we all share it.

History, at least the narrated versions we've heard have something consistent.

When we realize that NACIIMOOYIN Allah noogu bishareeye, we can then take a step forward.

Some values when you take granted for centuries, you may not realize to appreciate, and Soomaalis are no different.

Step by step, we need to re-focus these points in these predicament times. Every Soomaali have to realize this.

It is about time the little details, clan rivalry, over-doubting each person's intention stopped. We have to bury all of these negative thoughts, cleanse it from hearts.

Just an example of this cynicism intention just happened recently.

C/risaaq Xaaji Xuseen wrote an opinion piece, advising two mistrusted large clans should not vie for power for the next five years if a government comes out of Nairobi. One clan was his. The other being Aadan Cadde's clan. He advised these two large clans should step aside from power positions for some years, as they are the fiercing opponents and most distrusted about some misgivings.

And guess what happened? He was severely criticized, denounced, slammed from all sides.

With their dubious guesswork and thoughts, they focused unfounded, baseless, speculative ill-intentions of his heart. Some even revilled him personally by going far being the orchestrator the assassination of C/rashiid Cali Sharmaarke. God forbid. How can you deal someone that have conjecture thoughts like that?

And why all those negative thoughts? What would've happened if he said those things about other clans? Oh, I don't want to hear.

To some, it is not easy while they have some grudges to settle from what happened God-knows-when.

As long as some bad apples in Soomaalis exist, they will always try to mess up the majority, seasoned, peace-loving citizens.

We will not despair, and insha allaah maalintee ahaato waa ka bixi doonaa masiibadaan.

And if the honourable men of SYL did overcome something greater than this, we can surely then.

Paragon   

Che wrote:

The young and educated must take charge now.After all the SYL were bunch of young determined men who saw light, and rose to the occasion.

MMA wrote:

And if the honourable men of SYL did overcome something greater than this, we can surely then.

Amen to that! I have been saying so for so long.

dawoco   

"What should happen if this one in fact ends up unproductive as the previous ones?"

I can not say that I have great intrest in these meetings, nor do I have an insight as such into the whole Somali peace proces meetings, as I find the men sent to negotiate peace terms to be of questionable characters.

I find it ironic that the same warlords that have kept the war going are the ones that represent their clans in the meetings.

"re-instituting a form of government that can accommodate the interest of the warlords and the foreign elements, institutionalizing power sharing scheme in which the current winners of the tribal wars are guaranteed a piece of the pie"

This is indeed a challenge. The simple way of going around those that stand in the way of progress? Kill em all! I am very much radical as I believe these warlords to be the evil-doers. They need to be removed so that Somalia can reconsiled as a country instead of clan ruled devisioned state based entity.

These men have a greate intrest in keeping the clan wars raging, as they stand to profit from them. As long as they are alive, no one can move forward as they will keep things clan based and thus keeping individuals becoming part of a whole "my country, my people" state of mind.

These men have their own armies and don't shy away from using violence to keep their interests save gaurded. And ask your self this, would they have any kind of power if they couldn't hide behind the shields of their clans? What will happen to them once that shield is removed?

I seriously am unaware of what is happening in Somalia, so do forgive me if I am jumping to some conclusions.

I just can't see anything good happening as long as the war lords are around to sabotage it..

ya'll watched Malcoml X movie right, remember at the end when he is about to go give his last speach, and he feels the end is near, but regardless

he says, " It's time for martyrs"

well its time for our martyrs

as long as we r not willin to put our necks on da line nothing will improve.

Baashi   

MMA, amico mia SYL had it easy back then when one considers the challenges we face today. The wind of independence were a force to reckon with everywhere, the new imperial powers Soviet and US were willing to take a calculated risk so they can push over the old powers aside and put the new independent states in their column, UN had then became a hub to air the grievances of the subjugated indigenous activists, Somalis were chanting in unison Waxa aan la ooyaayaa, ilmadu iiga qubaneysaa, istikhyaar nin loo diidoo, la adoonsadaan aheyee - moving words indeed, etc. The brave and honorable youth of SYL were operating in this context. The foe was known: white Europeans and less formidable Habasha. The goal was clear-cut: independence by any means necessary.

Today we find ourselves in very different context. The independence they fought and many died for had become a curse in a strange and ironic way. Leaders of the newly found state had betrayed the unsuspecting masses by making the highest office like a private business owned by them. Nepotism had become a norm; justice needed a political support, etc. Somalis today as you put it are inventive, business entrepreneurs, but clan conscious. They mistrust any political deliberation without their clan being the chairman of the proceeding. They kill for revenge, for pride, honor all in the name of their sub clan. Never again is the motto because the manner in which previous regimes managed the public turf.

To institute a new paradigm one must realize what we one is up against. FYI I’ve seen students, youths congregating in a meetings to make a difference someway or another just to see their effort evaporating in front of their eyes because someone decided to exploit this wound by scratching it.

Dawaco, Jamaal, MMA, Vanquish_V12, Che, and OG-Girl what to do is a billion dollar question and out of box idea is what’s needed here if we are to find our way out of this mess. Practical ideas that is.

Baashi...I do understand the situation, and I for one wouldn't aim for unrealistic solutions. We obviously can't return to Somalia, make little noise, and expect everything will fall to the right place. Any solution in Somalia won't come easy. The least we could however is set fire on the feet of these warmongers(warlords) by trying to bring the somalis abroad under one umbrella organization which hopefully will advocate justice for Somalis at home. I believe those of us abroad do have means and capibilities to effect changes back home. Uniting Somalis won't be an easy task since those abroad have the same tribalism problem, but we could make an effort to atleast try to unite them. Besides, Somalis abroad know what life could be, and how other countries have progressed. They also understand regardless of your qabiil, no Somali other than the warlords is benefitting from the current situation. Whether you are from Bosaso, kismayo, Baidio, Beledwyne,or mogadisho, all Somalis face the same reality, no future, no education for their kids, no security or no protection against diseases. Those issues can unite us since every Somali is in the situation. But agian it will be difficult.

Salaan...

Baashi, what do you think about the following abridged post I copied from baidoa.com?

I obviously don't agree with some basis points, including the issue of federalism and a government based on clans, mainly the infamous 4.5 formula. However, some detailing points need to be considered, and any suggestion that can resuscitate the Soomaali nation should be listened too.

As the Kenyan-hosted Somali National Peace Conference enters its final and uncertain stage many Somalis are asking themselves what settlement can provide a lasting solution to Somalia’s seemingly insoluble tragic civil war?. Although there is no magic formula for resuscitating Somali state out of its coma the following settlement proposals outlined in this editorial will compliment the provisions of the Transitional Federal Charter already endorsed by the delegates attending the Somali National Reconciliation Conference in Kenya and could pave the way toward political equality for all Somali clans and cast iron guarantees against the domination of one clan by the other.

Political equality and Guarantees against domination is ensured through collective Presidential Council with rotating Presidency and Vice-Presidency. The Powers and Office of the Head of State will be vested collectively in a five-member collective Presidential Council with rotating Presidency and Vice-Presidency. The Post and Powers of premiership will be scrapped. Hence, the Collective rotating Presidential Council will exercise the supreme executive power.

The Presidential Council:

The Powers and Office of the Head of State shall be vested collectively in a five (5)-member rotating Presidential Council. It will exercise the supreme executive power.

The President of the Council will represent the Presidential Council as Head of State.

Members of the Council will be elected by Parliament for a fixed period of 5 years. Once elected members of the Council must not occupy any other public office or private position.

Composition:

The five-person Presidential Council will be composed so that it reflects the clan balance in Somalia. Thus, there will be an equal number of members from each of Somalia's five clans in line with the 4.5 formula.

The President and the Vice President:

• The Offices of the President and Vice-President will rotate every 12 months amongst its members.
  • No more than two consecutive Presidents will come from the same clan.
  • The President and the Vice-President must not hail from the same clan.
  • The Vice-President will assume the duties of the President in the absence or temporary incapacity of the President.
The five members of the Council:

• Will be equal and any member will be able to place an item on the agenda of the Council.
  • Each member of the Council will head a Department. Departments will be attributed by decision of the Council.
  • The heads of Departments will prepare and execute decisions of the Presidential Council relating to the Department.
Functions, appointments and international representation:

• The President of the Council will represent. the Federal Republic of Somalia as Head of State.
  • The President of the Council will represent the Federal Republic of Somalia as Head of Government.
  • The President of the Council will convene and chair the meetings of the Council.
  • Heads of the relevant Departments will represent the Federal Republic of Somalia at meetings of government ministers.
  • The Presidential Council appoints the members of the judiciary and independent officers: the Supreme Court Judges, Central Bank Governor and board, Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General, Auditor General and Deputy Auditor General.
  • The Presidential Council will will suggest candidates or appoint members for international bodies.
  • Any representative of the Federal Republic of Somalia at international meetings will be bound by decisions of the Presidential Council.
Decision Making Procedure:

The Presidential Council will try to reach decisions by consensus. Where that fails, it will take decisions by simple majority of members. Neither the President nor the Vice-President will have a casting vote.

Sophist   

Long term Social Engineering programme is what we need mate. LST is about to launch one; perhaps it would be advisable to rally behind this programme. :cool:

Miskiin Macruuf Khiyaanoole smile.gif hey may you be kind enough and pass me the link of that paper written by the Old man Sir C/risaaq Xaaji Xuseen?

Cheerio