Sign in to follow this  
ProudSista

Qabiil..Is it taken over the new generation today?

I normally I would say No, but i have come across some pepole that made me doubt deeply..!

Just so i can come to my finale conclusion i would like to know how some off you nomads reply to this post.

I am a somali and no doubt i belong to a clan myself but question can a clan have power over someone?

What is this competition between clans?

How can a clan come between two loved once? Can it separate Them?

Would you care less or more for someone cause off his/her clan?

I need some off these answer´s for a research that iám doing about clan....

And some are just for the curiosity

So feel free to speak out your mind and no hate speach plz!

over and out!

Sophist   

Qabiil is deep-rooted Somali enigma; most people who have been close to thier families have the tendency of falling for such a disease.

Miriam1   

^ How true, its not really about the clan, as i would really careless about someone who claims to be my fifth million cousin to a complete stranger.

As to the question about clanism (um not sure if it is a word lol :D ) coming between two lovers, it simply comes down to this if u these two individuals belong to traditionalist families it will be a decision between choosing the family over their loved one.

Sakariye   

I think the answer to this question remains msyterous, but the way I see Qabiil is that it is traditional way of identifying one another, SS#. I believe that Qabiil is powered becuase of that it is the only insurance for those who live in our homeland, when all your life is insured by your so called KAABA QABIIL, the fact is that you fight and Breathe your last for him and his qabiil.

Peace ********

king_450   

Baloony, for once i wish the "somalis" speak the truth. We "each one of us" whether u want blv it or not we belong certain Clan"Qabil" call it what ever u want. And specially nowdays, one must deeply feel in conncection with their own kind, .But if you have committed a horrible crime against a specified clan, then i think you feel little bit depressed .It is not about Qabil that needs to be condemned , but the individuals who betrayed their own kind. I for one will always be in support of my Clan, regardless.! If you don't your own clan, there is always alternative, join a desired group that you can relate. I think the Torch has been passed to the new generation of each Qabil, and Qabilism must stay alive, to be identified. It is the Finger print of your Being .

Baloony, for once i wish the "somalis" speak the truth. We "each one of us" whether u want blv it or not we belong certain Clan"Qabil" call it what ever u want. And specially nowdays, one must deeply feel in conncection with their own kind, .But if you have committed a horrible crime against a specified clan, then i think you feel little bit depressed .It is not about Qabil that needs to be condemned , but the individuals who betrayed their own kind. I for one will always be in support of my Clan, regardless.! If you don't your own clan, there is always alternative, join a desired group that you can relate. I think the Torch has been passed to the new generation of each Qabil, and Qabilism must stay alive, to be identified. It is the Finger print of your Being .

Feeling Deeply with your own kind is that not, somali your talking about or is it your clan that you are refuring too king?

Who betrayed their own kind?

Are you talking about mistakes some off our somali ppl back in the civil-war have made...Are you going to judge a person who´s clan did wrong to other´s but is born after the civil war is that person to blaim?

Qabilism must stay alive...in what way?

In a way so you know who is your family member, or in a differant sort off way?

Casue sadlley the whole idea off belongin to a clan is being wrongly misused nowdays..I am sure that was not the way the prophet (may pëace be upon him) would want it to be!

Just a view more replays plz

over!

N.O.R.F   

I think we here on SOL are mature enough with relevant experience to know that ppl are differednt, doesnt matter what tribe u are, the guy closest to u (tribe0wise) can be scheming against you. I think it is inportant to be able to recognise good and bad ppl or else we shall all be lost.

Knowing yr qabil is a good thing in terms of knowing where yr from, yr family tree, yr parents tree, yr cousins tree, yr freinds tree, this is just somalinimo, it our culture, heritage etc etc.

We all have freinds/family from all sides. However i have noticed that often the ones using qabil in a negative lately are the younger 'fish' boys and girls, especially in London.

All the more reason as to why we need to educate those who have been misinformed/influenced/under-educated in terms of somali clan culture,,,,,,

nice topic

I beleive clan can seperate 2 loved ones

heres lil story

2 ppl loved each other so much they were even getting merried. the girl is from my clan and the boy is 4rm another 1, in somalia the 2 tribes r fighting..2days b4 da weding the guy hears about it n decides not to marry the girl coz of that.

"dad ey qabiilkeyga is neceb yihiin maxaan ka guursan" that was his answer.

anyway to cut it short...the girls family were so furious they decided that the wedding should go ahead and calaa foorjo the girl merried a man 4rm her tribe.

now they r happy n she has kids for him. happy ending, ey. gabadhi marki la aroosay kii hore wuu aamini waayay qalad ka uu sameeyay, shalaaydii ka raacday Ilaah un buu u sheegdaa.

N.O.R.F   

Well stories of marriage break-ups due to qabyalad is not un-common. It really depends on the individuals who are looking to wed-lock. We are encouraged to go for ppl from good family backgrounds ie well known to yr own family, which often means same tribe/extended fam freind or close.

Things like the civil-war should teach us a lesson, not encouraged us.

Knowing what the reason was to all the millions that got liked for no reason, and being not able to be Home should open our eyes.

We are already losing so many off us back home...

& now We´have got somali-christians

We´have got so many off us wanting revenge for lost once, one Qabiil against another

It hurts cause seeing my little cousin´s only a couple off month i want a save environment for them inshallah, don´t we need to do something about the future?

If we sleep from it some off our dear brother´s and sister´s will be poisoned with the hatred off Cabalism!

Thanks for all your reply´s fellow nomads

One love

over!

Zaylici   

Proudsister, as an incurable optimist, I beleive your search would benefit from contribution, so sit back and read carefully what I am about to say, for it is a product of long meditation, research, thought and empirical observation.

Look at the map African horn where Somali people dominate, one of the things that captures your eye is the relationship between land and clans, moreover, the clans do not inhibit the land randomly( exception can be made in parts of the south which was subject to migrations from northern clans), rather they live and occupy a given land based on how they are related from genealogical standpoint, thus clan prior modern age provided the individual with economic assistance such as help during hardship by offering the individual a means( such as livestock, land or money) to relieve the burden of the unfortunate poverty and enable him to survive in the harsh environment of the African horn. Moreover, the clan provided the individual with physical security, if a man is killed or injured or some how aggressed in any shape or form his clan were always there for him, revenging from those who aggress or violate the basic rights of the individual in question.

The clan did had a role in love and marriages ( which is relevant to your question regarding the role of the clan in love and marriages) the reason being fewer clans were self-sufficient, in other words fewer nomadic clans did indeed had territory that meets their needs during all seasons or during hard times and droughts, for instances a given nomadic clan may need to use the water and grazing resources that are outside of their domain, to do so the clan would benefit from any relationship that they have to those who control control access to the much needed resources, one way to make connections was through marriages, thus clans were usually connected through marriages and thus become Xidid. marriages therefoer were the beginings of formal contracts and friendships, thus clan played role in the love affair and marriage of the individuals in question, marriage was indeed a means of politico-economic freinship and cooperation. Thus, using genealogy( abtirsiinyo) and Xeer ( contracts) and reinforcing them with marriage and war time alliances enabled Somalis to survive in an environment where the prevailing political order was might is right, whoever is stronger( numerical superiority) is always right, whoever has connections( married to the clans who control wells and grazing lands) always gets what he wants , whoever has more alliances his livestock survives and gets postures and water. It is clear from what we have said that survival necessitates the clan phenomenon, marriages and alliances.

Without being a member of a given clan genealogically( or decent) or through client( sheegad) you can hardly survive in Somali society, moreover, similar logic applies to the people of the south who persue agriculture as opposed to the livestock breading. It does not seem to me, therefore, that the economic conditions of the Somali society have changed, consequently, there is no reason to expect that clan does not influence love and marriages in the same as it used to be, I believe that clan permeates every aspect of the Somali society, this is to be expected so long as the social and economic conditions that necessitated the clan phenomenon exist, if these economic conditions that necessitated the clan change, clan as living forces would cease to exist in the same way as ethnicity has eased to be social force in the west especially in America. To be Irish or English does not matter when it comes job and marriage in America, however, to secure a job and marry in the African horn, your clan or ethnicity matters.

You asked why clans compete, they compete for resources, in the same way as they used to compete in the jungle, the reason is for survival, is there any other way to survive other than compete for small resources and kill one and another, yes but that requires work that has not been done in Somali territories; that is a revolutionary change( through writing, thinking, acting and engaging relevent conditions) in every aspect of the society, whether that be social, economic, cultural, religion and political.

Finally, as urbanization and independence from the clan resources increases the role of the clan in love and marriages would decrease, thus it is not surprising if clan is not a big issue among the younger generation in the west, however, it seems to me that they cannot escape from the socialization of the immediate families who may propagate potentially hostile narrations of the past and local Somali stereotypes.

I recommend you to proceed with your research and for it is good approach to our unfortunate fate in the twenty first century. However, we the young in the Diaspora have choices, the choices that we have include fighting back, but to do so we need the power of knowledge and tendency to struggle as those before us did who had struggled against the odds that we are struggling against.

Long answer to your question I suppose, end of the discussion Proud sister.

Long answer indeed but interesting Zaylici..

I believe that i was not aware off the possitive things a clan can provide for it´s member´s though in this case it´s nagetivity seems to have more wight!

ok i will be back i think...

gotta go now

one love!

x_quizit   

I think it's all about how u use ur clan membership/tribe...does u use it to see urself as superior to another or do u use it as an identification tool, as God has already described in the quran, stating that clan is there for us to recognize each other, but it was never intended to divide ppl/country.

The pitfalls of tribalism we've already seen in the civil war, where ppl are killing each other until today, just because one belongs to this clan and the other to a rival clan. Since some somalis have shown that they use tribe as a means to put themselves higher than others, in the end, let's all ban together under the cloak of islam, rather than let petty clanism divide and further rupture our society, especially opening up the minds of the next generation.

Personally, i dont believe in tribalism/clanism, simply because it has been misused/abused so much in the past and still today, compared to what it was intended for, therefore, id say to the next generation, of course know where u came from, but dont let it interfere in ur society, as to who u'll marry, have as a friend, etc.... see each other as muslim brothers and sisters, and let clan hatred and bitterness reside in the past.

Peace

SaMaaH   

Salam Aleikum

Very Sad walaahi everywhere you go, SOL, Somalinet..EVERYWHERE they use qabiil indirectly I just observe the politics section and I leave the place with disgust. We left somalia and the war here we are still talking about qabiil. We can never destroy Qabil ohh only if I had some sort of power Ya rabi oh well I dont. redface.gif

but i have come across some pepole that made me doubt deeply

Back in high school, I thought hey It's only the older generation who can't let go of the "qabiil talk" maybe the new generation could really make a difference and put a stop to this nonsense qabiil but I was WRONG. When I went to univ, it was a different story people asking each other "Hey what region are you from? or Hey back in somalia where did your family live?" in other words can I know your qabil :rolleyes:

I've even seen young people who say 'I would never marry so and so cause he/she is not from my tribe.' There's never going to be a "Somalia" until we change "Allah does not change the situation of people unless they change themselves first"

i gotta say this piece about nasty ole qabiil!

run away when u see it! it will only pull u down.

one thing about la is that nobody cares what u r period! u got your buddies and u hang out with them! i quit my qabiil folks long time ago, cuz they are selfish, ****** and never appreciating bunch of morans! so do they pay my bills!Nope! so if they aint showing me no respect, why should i!!