Sign in to follow this  
ProudSista

Qabiil..Is it taken over the new generation today?

Zaylici   

Jeele Qaxooti has point, but he needs some freindly amendiment, clan in Somali contexr is product of two forces, geneology whic is finite only 30 generation back( no body knows beyonds that even somali tradition, and contract or xeer, the latter as Lewis,, asserted in his book the call of kinship.

Somali clansmen are not genetic kinsmen per se, but rather a product of historical contracts and blood relations, thus one cannot with confidnce that Somali clans are blood groubs, similarly, one cannot say somali clans are product of convienient alliences and contracts conditoned by their material conditions. Modern psychology provides ample evidence which suggest tha a groups like the Somali clans are a product of nature( genetics) and nurture( contracts and politico-millitery conviniences. This thesis is well supported by the fact that many Somali clans are in fact related not along the farther side but also along the mother side, many somali clans, no offense, gratify their matrilinial ralations as attested by the word HABAR which signifies motherly ralations, ironically this downplays the gratification of furthers as the progenators of Somali clans. What then makes the Somali clans powerfull in Somali context, this is the tough question that needs the help of the sceince and social sceince.

Coloow   

Zaylici, I agree with all you said!

But I don't think one needs to consult science to reveal the shortcomings of the somali clan structure. A simple litmus test on two somalis who claim to descend from the same clan (I am not talking about 7 generations) would reveal discrepencies.