Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

Jaamacadda Bariga Afrika {East Africa University}

Nomads what are your views on this The East Africa University based in Bosaso, their website is still under construction but they have a selection of pictures of the campus (intresting viewing for those of us studying in the rest of the world)

Q. Do you think it will attaract a cross-section of students?

Q. Do think it will survive?

Q. What are its implications? What does it say about Somaaliya today and its future?

personally i think its amazing maybe we could set up a partnership in the near future to get students in europe or america to help setup, teach, train or provide equipment there, anyway what are your thoughts?

Dhimbil   

lets see...

I think it has a lot of potentials. It will all depend on how they promote it. For example, somali university or puntlanlanders university. So far it looks like it will succeed in attracting cross section of students because the responce from somalis has been positive. I have been to a fundraising for this uni and all kinds of somalis were there, particularly non-puntlanders were there, that says something. I just hope admin and faculty don't change once they establish them selves.

Well, it will depend on how things play out next few years or so,political wise. Also, attemps are made for education in different parts of somalia, i think they should share resources and i think somalis abroad should do anything that is possible to aid these attempts.

Q. What are its implications? What does it say about Somaaliya today and its future?

I think it speaks volumes. After all it proves somalis are not savage animals. It says the future for somalis is getting little brighter.

"maybe we could set up a partnership in the near future to get students in europe or america to help setup, teach, train or provide equipment there"

^^great suggestion.

Here is another suggestion. The universities should set-up scholarship for student from different regions. For example, Mogadisho uni will offer scholarships to students who went to high school in different city like Bosasso, Hargaisa or kismaayo. Likewise, East Afr uni and Hamuud uni or Hargaisa uni, will over scholarship to students from different regions. I think this will make somali cities more diverse, so decades from now we don't have to deal with land claims or tribal territories.

Adios

NinBrown   

I think its an excellent project with s huge potential, for the region and the rest of somalia...and it should be us who help it along at its infancy.

I think it will attract a cross section of the community as its open to everyone, but even more so it will attract educationalist from abroad. I will most certainly survive, the hardest years of any situation is the begining, and the opening gas thus far being a success, with regional government help on the way..i see it surviving.

The implication for somalia are great, imagine youngestres when the finish high school they have no where to go...this would open the gates for them.

Keep the ides flowing

BN   

I think by Calling it East Africa University--it doesnt restrict itself to the Puntland region. It's always good to have a mix of different people from different places.

Well it was created in 2001 and survived the conflict in Puntland region. So it's a good sign that it will survive in the foreseeable future.

I think it shows the growing responsibilities regions/communities are taking upon themselves to fill the educational gap in Somalia. Before 1991, most institutions were centred in Mogadishu. Since then several educational/technical schools have been created. The future of Somalia depends on the collective actions we take. But I think it will be a bright future, Insha'Allah.

Here's an article from the BBC about EAU this week.

Puntland university seeks peace dividend

By Robert Walker

BBC, Bossaso, Puntland

A new university in Somalia's semi-autonomous region of Puntland is giving students the chance to study for degrees for the first time.

The East African University has high ambitions

And the university hopes the recent ceasefire in Puntland between government and rebels will allow it to expand further.

The ambitiously named East Africa University opened its doors to students two years ago, but construction of the new campus - on the seafront close to the port of Bossaso - is still continuing.

Abdi Weli Abdirahman is Dean of the Faculty of Business Administration. Like many of the teaching staff, he has returned from abroad.

"I am an economist from the United States. I came back to teach my people in Puntland. I am a Puntlander", he says.

Too dangerous

But the past two years of fighting in Puntland has made it difficult for the new university to establish itself.

Students know they can go to university and get a job and they can compete with the rest of the world

Abdirizak Mohamed, Unicef

Business student Abdirizak Abdullahi says many in his class stayed at home during the conflict.

"Classes stopped. We could not come to university which is 5km from town because of the fighting. Everyone went home to save themselves," he recalls.

The fledgling university is desperately short of funds.

Dean Abdi Weli Abdirahman hopes the recent ceasefire in Puntland will bring a much needed peace dividend.

"The new university is very costly to run. We do not get the funding we expect from the state, because most state revenue goes to security.

"Soon, the peace is coming, we expect more money," he says.

Future hopes

There are few further education opportunities for school leavers in Puntland.

The university offers everything from Sharia law in business studies

Abdirizak Mohamed of the Bossaso office of the United Nations children's agency (Unicef) thinks it is important for the whole education sector that the new university succeeds.

"If we have a university, we expect the enrolment in primary schools to increase.

"Students know they can go to university and get a job and they can compete with the rest of the world. It's good for the future," he says.

Back at the university staff and students say there is one key thing the university needs if it is to grow - and that is for Puntland's new peace to continue.

Friday, 23 May, 2003, 08:43 GMT 09:43 UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3050481.stm

Its great to see such a possitive outlook for the EAU from the somaliaonline nomads, going back to your posts

Illmatic:

Here is another suggestion. The universities should set-up scholarship for student from different regions. For example, Mogadisho uni will offer scholarships to students who went to high school in different city like Bosasso, Hargaisa or kismaayo.

a great suggestion, like wise a great point from Bari_Nomad:

I think it shows the growing responsibilities regions/communities are taking upon themselves to fill the educational gap in Somalia .

maybe its time for those of us outside of somalia to take serious intrest in helping to maintain such institutions i.e. by regular fund raising for somali universities to help insure as nino said youngesters have an opportunity. After all, education is a way out of poverty, more of your thoughts please i.e. what do you think are the most crucial challenges for institutions such as this to overcome today?. smile.gif

Paragon   

Whatever view I intended to bring forth has been expressed by the nomads above.

I am just plain happy that such an institution has been set-up/or under progress to carter for all those who need its services most, East Africans. It is a beacon of light.

Coloow   

Hold on there!!! do you think higher education is significant in shaping the future of a country? I get this feeling that most of you are overwhelmed with joy at the mention of university.

Indeed somalia has many universities and the one in bosaso is not unique. I think what somalia needs is lower level of education- perhaps some vocational courses- somali universities would only contribute to the loads of bogus Dr(dottore) that has shaped our landscape.

Infact, when I looked at the picture about EAU and could not help but think how many people the invested money would have fed in a day. .........or how many children it would have helped through primary education!

Let us not celebrate in earnest about the establishment of a university!

king_450   

caano you are asking a hypothetical question , the answer to your question yes, it certainly will attract me as an individual, and i am glad to lend hand in the future , cause the likes of Bosaso University is what we want back home so here is my thanks to the organizers of the east afr univ, in bosaaso, i as a somali student who is studying to become a doctor would like to thank them for their dedication, and if there is anything i can add to their strive i am happy to participate, so here is my profile.

i am in my third yr of medical school,

studying in USA,

faysalfarah@hotmail.com

if there is any suggestion i can add to the faculty plz feel free to email me, and job well done/.

Haneefah   

I think this is a great step towards success and mobilization...they sure have my support as long as it will serve the purpose of a "university" and represent everyone equally!

Haashim   

Everything is prefect except Location, Boosaaso is very hot city, they should choose other nearby location, that's my view because i've been to boosaaso lately, it's very hot redface.gif

Gediid   

This is a monumental step that needs to be encouraged.It brings hope to a whole generation of youngsters who would otherwise have not had the oppurtunity to become something.For those of you who are currently pursuing higher education help by going back at least one summer and contributing academically in any field.They need that much help.

An interview - Dean of the East Africa Univeristy

Axmed Kismayo ayaa waraysi la yeeshay Gudoomiya Jaamacaddaas Dr: C/qaadir Max'ed C/llahi, waxana uu ugu horrayntii waydiyay inuu faah-faahin kooban ka bixiyo waxyaabaha horumarka aah ee la oran karayo jaamacaddu waa ay gaartay muddadii ay furnayd, waxana uu ku jawaabay:

Dr:C/qaadir: hourmar badan ayaan gaarnay ALLAH mahaddiis, waxa ka mid ah inaan u soo guurnay xarunta jaamacadda waxana dhihi karaa waa jaamacadd kaliya ee Soomaliya ku taal ee deggan dhisme ay leedahay, waxa kaloo ka mid ah teeramkii shanaad ayaannu maraynaa oo hal sano iyo bar ayaa ardaydii ugu horaysay uga harsan qalinjabintii,laba kulliyadood oo kala ah kulliyada maamulka iyo kulliyadda shareecada iyo daraasaadka islaamka ayaa furan, waxannu diyaarinnay maktabad ay yaallaan in ka badan 20.000 oo buugaag ah.

Waxa kaloo ka mid ah inaan ku dadaallay in macallimiintu ay noqdaan kuwo heerkooda aqoontu uu aad u sarreeyo oo hadda macallimiinteennu waxay u badan yihiin kuwo shahaadooyinka PHD,iyo MA wata ayay u badan yihiin, waxannu ku dadaallaa had iyo jeer in dadka aqoonta leh ee dibadda jira ay noo yimaadaan oo haddii ay noo soo go'i Karin oo halkan aysan soo degi Karin inay marmar noo yimaadaan.

Haddan tusaale ahaan soo qaato Eng: Cali Cige oo network system jaamcadda u sameeyey iyo Prof: Muse Max'ud oo isagana Multi Media aplication tababar ka bixiyay waxana xusid mudan in labadaba ay si lacag la'aan ah hawshaas u qabteen.

Axmed: C/qaadir Jaamacadda waxay furan tahay muddo ku dhow saddex sano ilaa haddana waxaad taagan tihiin laba kulliyadood kaliya, marka taas ma kuugu muuqataa inay tahay dib-u-dhac?

Dr:C/qaadir: dib u dhac maahan waayo marka manta loo fiiriyo awoodda dhaqaale ma aannaan boodi Karin waxaannu haddana ku dadaalaynay tayada tacliinta iyo macallimiinta mar kastana waxanu rabnaa inay noqdaan kuwo taya leh manhajka jaamacaddana uu noqdo mid xoog leh,marka waxaasoo dhan markaad raadinaysid ma degdegi kartid.

Axmed: manhajka Jaamacadda ay ku socoto ee aad sheegtay halkee ku sargo'an yahay mise idinka uunbaa wax isu keenay oo sidaas baad ku waddaan?

Dr:C/qaadir: manhajkeennu waxa uu waafaqsan yahay kan jaamacadaha ama ha noqoto jaamacadda Somaliya ama jaamacadaha kale ee caalamka,iyo baahida ummadda soomaaliyeed ayaynu ku salaynay.

Axmed: ilaa hadda ma leedihiin wax aqoonsi oo caalami ah ha noqoto Jaamacadaha caalamka ama hay'adaha waxbarashada adduunka intaba?

Dr;C/qaadir: waa jiraan waxannu la leennahay xiriirro badan, Jaamacadaha aannu iskaashiga la leennahay waxa ka mid ah jaamacadda Latarop University ee Australia, Jaamacadda Kuwait, Jaamacadda Imaaraatka kuwo kalana waxa hadda noo socda xiriirkoodii sida Jaamacadaha Ururka Africa iyo kuwa dalalka Islaamka, meel fiican ayayna noo maraysaa.

Axmed: Jaamacadaha aad xiriirka la samayseen suuragal ma tahay marka ardaydu ay ka qalin jabiyaan Jaamacaddiina inay tacliin sare siiyaan?

Dr:C/qaadir: haa heshiika ayay ka mid ahayd tacliinta sare inay ardaydeenna siiyaan, sidoo kale in aannu qalab iyo macallimiinba isdhaafsanno, waxannu jecelnahay inaanu la yeelano dhinaca iskashiga cilmi baarista.

Axmed: waxad ogtahay in marka la eego Puntland ay dugsiyada sare ay aad u bateen waxana la qiyaasayaa inay dhowaan soo bixi doonaan arday aad u tira badan marka maxaad u haysaan ardaydaas mustaqbalka dhow?

Dr:C/qaadir: waxannu u haynaa labadii kuliyadood ee hore iyo kuwo kale oo aannu rabno inaanu September-ta soo socota furno oo ay ka mid yihiin Computer Saynis,waxanna isleennahay dugsiyada sare baahidooda way ka badan tahay.

Axmed: ardayda Jaamacadda fasallada wax baan ka arkay markaan eegayna waxay iila ekaatay inay u badan yihiin dad waawayn marka maxay tahay cilladu?

Dr/C/qaadir: cilladu waxa weeye muddo dhowr iyo toban sano ah ayaa Somaliya waxa ku dhacay kala go' waxbarasho,oo dadkii dugsiyada sare ka soo baxay ma aysan helin jaamacado,marka markii jaamacadda la furay waxa soo galay dadkii hore dugsiyadii cusbaa xooggoodii wali nama soo gaarin,hadda ayaannu sugaynaa diyaar banana u nahay.

Axmed:marka la rabo in hawl jaamacadeed la socodsiiyo waxan filayaa inay u baahan tahay arrimo fara badan gaar ahaanna xagga dhaqaalaha oo culayskiisa gaarka ah iska leh,marka hawshaas inaad u bareertaan waxyaabaha dhaqaale ahaan idinku dhiirrigalinaya maxaa kaa mid ah?

Dr:C/qaadir: waad ogtahay jaamacadaha miisaaniyaddoodu aad ayay u culus tahay, annagu waxannu isticmaalnaa ardayda lacag ayaannu ka qaadnaa,jaaliyadda dibadda ee Puntland iyo Somalidana dowr wayn ayay ka qaataan, dad badan oo dareen leh oo ka mid ah ganacsatada gobolka ayaa iyana kaalin ku leh, waxa kale oo iyana aad ugu mahadsan maamulka Puntland oo isna waxyaabo badan oo kaalmo ah jaamacadda u gaystay.

WAREYSI AXMED KISMAAYO

shyhem   

Did u guys say university,i mean institutions like U oF michigan,U oF minnesota,harvad university,oxford university........I don't think any institution in somalia today can be called a university........Ploytechnic or community college is a better term.

By the way who on earth come up with the name east africa university,do u they actually know anything about geography.The place is not even located in east africa but more on horn africa or to some extent we can say on the eastern african nation of somalia,key word here is eastern which includes somalia,ethiopia,sudan and the east african nations of uganda,kenya,tanzania and the island of zanzibar