Sign in to follow this  
Faheema.

Cilmi Bodheri --- Love or Lust??

Faheema.   

Cilmi Bodheri---Love or Lust??

When the name Cimli Bodheri is mentioned you instantaneously think of love. Why? Because according to many somalis “love” was the cause of his untimely death. But from what I have been told (correct me if am wrong) Cilmi did not even interact (shukaansi meesha kama dhicin) with the lady he claimed to have “fallen in love with”. Apparently has seen her on many occasions. He liked the way she looked and carried herself.

So my question is was he smitten by love or was it just unadulterated lust?

So that was the guy's name...It's the only story everyone mentioned to me be about somali love...hmm i guess i would have to find the whole story and then get back to ya...Bee bye.

Baashi   

Iyadana wadeecada aduun wiil kalaw baxaye

Wadaamii qalbiga waxa la tegey wililigteediye

Intay waaninaysan dhulbaan weel ka gurayaaye

Waa lay warramayaa dadbaan weeye leeyahaye

Waxakani wareer iyo ka badan caashaq waaxidahe

Walaalooyinoow waxan ka biqi inan ku waashaaye

Markan inan wareegaan damcoo webiga jiidhaaye

Wiirada ragiyo baan ka tegi wadhida naagaaye

Wadankeeda Soomaali waan sii wadacayaaye

Wuxu Eebahay ii waciyo waadanbe an dhawro

With that I say, the guy had mentally broken down and couldn't take the reality. His bride never rejected him. So he had always blamed 'others' for not letting her decide for herself. When he realized (he knew all along but it downed on him finally) that she had kids with another man...he totaly lost his 'miyir'..and become delusional.

Miskin   

(hadhka galey hurdadu wey xuntee hoheey maxaa iseexshey, bal-inaan habaar qabo maxaa Hodan i weydaarshey).

Based on Cilmi's poems (Songs) like this one thing is clear and apparent to all, that Cilmi Bodheri died coz he starved him self, and he starved him self coz of love. He loved this woman (Hodon) so much he couldn’t even eat or sleep properly (so I read).

One of his other songs reads like this (Hadii ili wax qabaneyso oo lagu qaboobayo, aniguba qadraan soo arkiyo qaararkii Hodane. Inaan eebahay idin qarabin qariya laabtiina). Again based on this poem (song) it is clear that Cilmi did actually seduce Hodan coz if he didn’t he wouldn’t have said (aniguba qadraan soo arkiyo qaararkii Hodane).

I could be wrong but this is what I gather from listening to his songs.

Miskin-Macruf

Isn't love and lust more or less the same thing! i don't think you could seperate one from da other...lol anyway i think iam gonna second baashi, da guy couldn't handle the fact that the woman was married to another man. He eventually lost it!

Paragon   

Love itself being a covert act of lust, I believe Bodhari's version of love was somewhat much too dillusional compared to that of Romeo and Juliet. In Boodhari's poetry, it is self-evident that he was way too lazy to manifest his words into actions.

hadhka galey hurdadu wey xuntee hoheey maxaa iseexshey, bal-inaan habaar qabo maxaa Hodan i weydaarshey

But i think his' was more love than lust..

Lefty   

I think Qays and Leyla drama make more love sense than him.....it's just my opinion!

I also heard the book called "Ayaandaran" is a true story!..Very interest love story indeed!

-------------

Blessed   

He wasn't in love he was nutsy. He was somewhat extremely infatuated and obssesed with Hodan. That doesn't make it love, just becuase you think you 'love' some1 doesn't give you the absolute right to possesing them, I mean khasab maaha jacaylku. Hadii uu qofku ku diido, mid kale ayaa la raadsadaa, you don't starve yourself to death..!! Acuudu Bilaah, that is nothing short of pure waali / madness. No human being should be given that much affection .. it's almost idolatory. :eek: :rolleyes:

Faheema.   

I can see most of you agree that he died of starvation. But wasn’t that due to his own negligence? Qadar ilaahay baa dhacay , but I mean, if he knew she had moved on with her life, why couldn’t he? You do not simply stop living because you did not get your way in life, if we all did that we would have fewer people in this world.

Ameenah. I agree with you, but when you said no human being should be given that much affection, I would say the amount of affection you give should be in balance with the amount you receive. In this situation that wasn’t the case and the result was severe.

In my opinion if you want something you go and get it, don’t waste your time being infatuated with things that you don’t have control of.

As Jamaal-11 said

“In Boodhari's poetry, it is self-evident that he was way too lazy to manifest his words into actions”

Thus, Actions = Results.

A formula which most Somalis lack when it comes to this kind of situations.

----------------------

Ama afeef hore lahow ama adkaysi danbe.

Afxumo nabadna kaa wadday, colaadna wax kaagama tarto.

Afar waa afar: Noloshu waa Niyad; Naftu waa qaali; Nacaybku waa olol; Nabsigu waa qaraar.

Kool_Kat   

I don't know the whole story...But from what I heard, I think he was one of the best, if not THE BEST love poet in the history of Somalia...

I hear some of his poems turned into songs, and I am like woooow, what a love song...

My fav one goes something like "Hogay ba'ay hurdadu way xuntehee, hogay maxaa i seexshay...Bal in aan habaar qabo maxaa Hodan i weedaarshay..."

Everytime I hear that song, waan jiriricoodaa...

My conclusion is whether it was love or lust, he was a damnnnnn goood POET...

Miskin, why did you sing with Miskin Macruf...hmmmm!!!

He sounds to me like a guy who was in love with the idea of loving someone...Sort of putting a person on a pedstol without the intention of even trying to abtain them...Maybe, him being in love with her from far is what gave him the inspiration to write those hit songs or poem or what not...And if he expressed his feelings and got her, it would have ended whatever he was tapping into at that time...So to me i think it wasn't lust and neither was it love...I guess when reality intruded on his life or he realised his inspirational time would end soon...He just wanted to go out in a way that would give him immortality in this world...That's my opionin...Bee bye

Baashi   

It was pure love without partner...I don't know what causes his untimely death but, according to his own poems, he was delusional no question about that...sometimes he would claim he had heard voices...classical delusion symptoms.

Here is an example of his delusional dreams:

Sida ubadku hooyada u tabo kuu hafeeftamaye

Haddii aanan ku lahayn yartaay kuma haleeleene

Habeenkii yimaadaba lix jeer kuma horjoogeene

Hal abuurka kuumaan tirsheen heeska caashaqa e

Bal hor joogsi daayoo anaan haynin aragaaga

Hareertayda ood joogtid baan ku hami qaataaye

Markaasaan humaagiyo cidlada ku hambalyeystaaye

Hilinkaynu maridoono iyo hooy ku taamaaye

Hagaageena iyo khayr ayaan ku hindisoodaaye

If u think he was crazy...u are not the first one who said that...pray your lover won't reject u or his/her gaurdian will not make it impossible the relasionship to advance...his answer to u:

Markaan keligeey haasaawayeen aan isla-hadlaayo

Ayagoon wax hubinoo ogeyn waxa i heeteeyey

Dadku waxay u haystaan inaan dhigay hugaygiiye

Hadaaqa ay wax sheeg-sheegayaan uma haboonayne

Haabkooda may gelin cishqiga hawsha dabataale

Inta uu hadhuuudh-laha ku daray ama hed soo gooyey

Hal-hal tirada waan lagu heleyn tan iyo haabiile

He was a gifted Poet who broke the love taboo in nomadland.

Faheema.   

“It was pure love without partner”

Baashi. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

How can you call it love if he didn’t even experience it? Yet you say he was delusional.

You can’t possibly LOVE without going through the process with a partner. I believe love develops with time, the more time you spend with the person, the more you fall in love. Is not something you form in your mind, that’s just pure illusion.

All I am saying is that a figment of ones imagination cannot establish the basis for love.

No doubt he was a gifted poet and I would certainly say she was an inspiration.

Baashi   

Cawo,

I'm not contradicting myself...it may be that we are making different assumptions here..or perhaps we don't agree the definition of Love. To me love is a blend of feelings toward someone. That feeling might be a deep affection or it could manifest in strong fondness or enthusiasm. I have my own view on this…and by any means I’m not pretending to know the universal definition of Love. Cilmi, the legend has it, had seen Hodan several times. His first impression of her was so deep that he used to wait all day long for her to buy bread from him…BTW he was a bread seller and she was his customer. His feeling was not a secret from her but her aunt didn’t wanted her niece to do anything with this guy. She marry her off to another nomad. It was prearranged marriage. He never lost hope and deep down he believed that the affair was a forbidden love. I think I said he was a delusional guy…not because he was nuts but because he had engaged in a forbidden Love with no partner. As a result he lost his ‘miyir’.

I wanna share his pain with the nomads..here is another poem:

Soomaalida caado xune iguma caydeene

Oo ima canaanateen sidaan cuud ka iibsadaye

Kuwii ii calaacalayey baan camal tusaalayne

Sida weelka caanaha hadii laabta loo culayo

Bal aan soo cidaadee maxaa cunaha dhaafaaya

Curuuqdiyo maxa kale dhex geli cadaha hoostooda

Ma cidaamkanaan jabinayaa cunaya dhuuxooda

Inaanse cadaydo mooyee waxaan calalsho lay diidye

Caqliga yaa ka biin tuu Illaah ku cir-cadeeyey

Cimrigayga oon jirin intii lagu cirroobaayey

Mugga inaan caddaadaan ka biqi canab daraadede