Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Do u agree with these qoutes..?

Baashi   

I got it from the "nation of poets" site by Deeqa

Here is an excerpt from a letter Margaret Laurence wrote to her friend Adele Wiseman from Somalia June 15th 1951. "I wish you could see some of the people here, Adele. The degree of physical beauty among the Somalis is absolutely incredible, when one considers their uncertain diet and the fact that sometimes they are reduced to starvation. If you search Mayfair and Champs Elysees and Fifth Avenue(fashion districts of Europe and the U.S.), you won't see women more beautiful than some of the Somali girls I have seen." Hey, is that incredible or what. I have always known Somali women are beautiful but to say this, that they are more beautiful than these women with all their wealth. But, we are also talented and inteligent. Yap. She also wrote in another letter on Feb 12th 1951"The remarkable thing about the Somalis, tho, is their terrific pride and dignity....they are , I imagine, about the poorest people in the world, and their country is about the poorest, also, but they walk erect and proud, and look you squarely in the eye, and what is more, they love their barren little land." That is right, Margaret.

Nomads r beautiful and dignified pple...nowadays u kinda doubt that...but don't! and understand every nation go through a cycle of difficulties (pol., econ., soc.) and we gonna pull this one off...we were a nation-state for about what...40yrs!!!!

Keep the faith and keep ya head up

I once had this book by the Canadian author that she composed called A Tree for Poverty: Somali Poetry & Prose A Tree for Poverty: Somali Poetry & Prose . I'm telling you it was a delight to read somali stories she gathered from across the nation. But since I've moved few years ago the book is somewhere lost in the apartment! :(

She had an insight and a deep appreciation for Somalis n' their culture.

Baashi n' Barwaaqo: Insha Allah let's keep on praying that we get to atleast retire in the Motherland. Keep the hope alive!!

Haboon   

salaams

I've always known that baashi.... one has only have to look at me as i posses all the beauty and dignity Margaret Laurence wrote to her friend about..... joking .....several mirrors have broken as they could not bare my sight

Seriously walaal it's good to know that the west has seen what a wonderful imaan we have

nuune   

true qoetes,waan jeclahay ammaantaasoo kale in ay helaan gabdhaha soomaaliyeed,xataa buugaag aan akhriyay sidaas oo kale ayaa loo ammaanaa!

Jamster   

Salamu Alaikum,

Maalin Wanaagsan

What? Chimera, doubt and some hallucination may be in place. What a Homage fitting for PR!

Beauty as the cliché goes is upon the eyes of the beholder. Having said that, I for a Somali chap who had the pleasure and also the pain would utterly, thoroughly and wholeheartedly disagree the jolly good Utopian picture this Anglo-American woman draw. To say the females look almost Elysian fields creatures that roam around Kings Road (equivalent of Mayfair in this contemporary time) are esthetical-wise is somewhat inferior, if this is not a distortion of reality dressed in beautiful attire I wouldn’t know what it is. I know this sounds wholly un-Somali of me to utter such hurtfully undignified words, but it is time the honeymoon should come to halt.

Anyhow, this is a women’s perspective, a chick saying that other ladies are ephemeral and delicious to look at! Come on there is something wrong here- don’t tell me she was appreciating the art of beauty.

Barwaaqo, Sorry to break your precious glass but surely you don’t sincerely believe in this.

Perhaps Faaraxnimadeyda ayaa waxaan iga keenooyso, haye hee waa idinkaas.

Ariadne   

Faraax a woman can compliment another woman she can also go on and on on about how another woman is beautiful its acceptable in both our society and in western society. But getting back to the point thanx for the reminder Baashi it reminds me of the book that Margaret Laurence wrote about her experience living in somalia for two years its a good book the Prophets camel bell I think its called. And the book Tamina mentioned lol (hey tamina remember the woodseller stroy ahmad hatab?) smile.gif