Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Female Circumcision Vs Abortion

Baashi   

In Conclusion,
Gudidda as done in Somalia should be banned, no girl should go through that life threatening ritual
, if on the other hand a consensus is reached by a competent Medical Professionals and Religious Scholars of the safety of a
Sunnah compliant Gudid surgery
, that will help a minor cope with sexual pressure without compromising her marital sentiments, then I am emboldened more than ever to say that I am all for it, and I stand by my statement until proven wrong.

Crystal clear.

This clarification should be on the record. I'm sure almost all of the readers who objected the Gudnin as we know it in Somalia (phroanic custom where female genitals are disfigured) can find this paragraph acceptable. On this score I do agree with you.

Originally posted by Baashi:

quote:

In Conclusion,
Gudidda as done in Somalia should be banned, no girl should go through that life threatening ritual
, if on the other hand a consensus is reached by a competent Medical Professionals and Religious Scholars of the safety of a
Sunnah compliant Gudid surgery
, that will help a minor cope with sexual pressure without compromising her marital sentiments, then I am emboldened more than ever to say that I am all for it, and I stand by my statement until proven wrong.

Crystal clear.

This clarification should be on the record. I'm sure almost all of the readers who objected the
Gudnin
as we know it in Somalia (phroanic custom where female genitals are disfigured) can find this paragraph acceptable.
On this score I do agree with you.
Hi Baashe, could you please clarify what you find acceptable? I know there is a significant difference between Somali Female infibulation and the 'Sunnah' circumcision some people advocate. When you say 'acceptable', do mean that the 'sunnah' circumcision is acceptable, or the concept that either type of circumcision will prevent pre-marital sexual shenanigans?

Female circumcision in all it's forms will never be acceptable to me. But I recognise that the Sunnah version is more palatable. However, the topic isn't about which type of circumcision is more palatable, it is about whether circumcision will prevent abortions or not.

So, could you clarify which point it is you agree with?

Khayr,

Yes. It was designed to show the flaw in that type of thought process.

^ Interesting Link

While the Prophet (P) did not explicitly ban this practice, his words project a great deal of sensitivity to the instinctive needs of females and their matrimonal happiness and legitimate enjoyment. Reference to the brightness of the face and to better relationship with the husband are clear indications of his senstivity and compassion.
They also stand in contrast to the arguments that female circumcision "controls" the woman's sexual appetite and hence contributes to sexual morality and virtue in society. It is true that Islam requires adherents of both genders to be chaste. Yet, there is no text in the Qur'an or Sunnah which requires selective curtailment or control of the sexual desire of one specific gender. Furthermore, chastity and virtue are not contingent on "cutting off" part of any sensitive and crucial human organ. Rather, they are contingent on spiritual and moral values of the person and the supporting virtuous environments

Baashi   

Aerowen,

Validated Sunnah, palatable or not, is always acceptable to me abaayo. Phraonic Gudnin is not acceptable. I condemn this practice very strongly.

In my humble opinion circumcision does not prevent abortion. I fail to see the connection. Likewise, circumcision even the phraonic one is not an effective deterrent to pre-marital sex.

Baashi,

That's more than clear, thank you. In terms of Islamic condoning of circumcision, I have not read any hadith that specifies female 'sunnah' circumcision to be compulsory.

Femme, interesting link.

Salaam,

Salaam,

I think its time we should realise not to make an easy scapegoat to the poor girls, but realise the magnitude of the problem socially we face coming to the west, and see the other side of the coin perfectly, for example when fathers can easily go home to Somalia and get married a 15yrs old girls exactly same age of their daughters or may be even younger, leaving behind a mother and many kids on their own, When Mum only thinks aboutHaGBah, and cheap Dahab , Were their children are exposed to drugs, crime and sex, and vultures are preying on them, Were no one can represent a Somali Community, because of tribal lines and clannish divide they bring into this metropolitan, mega towns, and to this new countries, were men are mostly in Mafrish, just for instance go and see who goes to the School parent evenings in schools - perhaps No one.

To talk about Gudniin is adding insult to the injury. Question is how can we preserve our Morale,Diin,Self-esteem,Confidence and keep our kids in functioning family environment, and bring up the kids in normal parent-loving atmosphere.

Gudniin is not the solution to the illicit sex and abortion, but should we think fast before the Disaster looms large.

Originally posted by Nur:

I dont know walaalo, I need ideas from readers,

U’re right on both counts so where are u going?

wouldnt it be better to send heroff to kurtunwaarrey (ood ku soo gudid) to reduce her appetite? after all, both choices are bad and unIslamic, but, the lesser evil is (in la gudo)

and…

one must seriously consider the unthinkable

and…

Again, I said that in the science of Muwaazanaat in Islam, at time a xaraam becomes a xalaal, if two xaraams are a must to be faced, in our situation we have two grievous situations

You took us down the path of FGM being unIslamic/xaraam but a lesser evil, now suddenly u’re backtracking and suggesting yr preference for a Sunnah version. Were u meaning the Sunnah version all along and if u were why would u call that unIslamic? Are u simply confused or are you confusing us for simpletons?

U were referring to FGM. It is as clear as day. No running away from that.

For those who think that it is disgusting to talk about this topic, believe me, its helping many Nomads too shy to discuss this topic in public , we live in a time an age when xishood is dangerous, so bear with me:

U have completely misunderstood the women’s disgust. Completely. What topic are nomads shy to talk about? Both FGM and abortions have been discussed on these boards. There’s a difference between shyness and disgust. The disgust is at advocating FGM to stop abortions. Some(including I initially) were further disgusted that you would suggest this. The ‘solution’ is one that will not work for it isn’t targeting the problem! Moreover it causes harm and perpetuates injustice. How can a teenage girl that may be sexually active be punished for something she may commit(abortion)? Innocent until guilty or we have an unjust society. The method u suggest is unIslamic and ineffective. U recommend something that is unjust and oppressive.

as a male i was also genitaly mutilated in a sense, I had no choice, because my parents decided my second day that i will be done, and I was, I am thankful they did, but how about if I was hurt in the process? it would have been a malpractice,

No u were not. U don’t need your foreskin. If yr parents had removed part of your organ in case u impregranated out of wedlock or raped one day- that is the equivalent of what u are suggesting for women- u’d have been disgusted too at the preemptive measure, the medical difficulties u’d have endured and the loss of sexual pleasure. U can not compare a male circumcision going wrong to even FGM going right. FGM is malpractice every time, male circumcision is not. U’re grasping at straws here.

In Conclusion, Gudidda as done in Somalia should be banned, no girl should go through that life threatening ritual,

Looks like u’ve changed your mind. So have u dropped the lesser of the two evils nonsense? And if u have why aren't u sticking around to hear about the Sunnah procedure or other social solutions that some may provide?

Have a good rest of Ramadan. Running away doesn’t solve anything.

Kashafa   

Took a trip down to the Archives room of SOL, Peep & Ponder:

9663W.jpg

Far waa wayn: Abortion is a far more henious crime than FGM. Cutting of a hand, a foot, or a clitoris for that matter can never come close to ending sacred life.

Now that things are in perspective, I think it's time to de-emotionalise this thread and look at Nur's examination of the crisis faced by sexually active muslims ( politically correct term for lechers and sluts)of both genders and their families. From what I gleaned from his posts, this incident is what spurred him to think about the so-called "Sunnah Procedure".

"Nur, my friends 14 year old daughter is pregnant, this Jamaican teen is worthless, a drop out, now what should I do Nur? does Islam permit abortion"? an actual phone call.

I'd have the family shoot the Jamaican dude(who impregnated her with his vile najaasah) dead. It can be 'fixed' so that he's another black statistic. It's very doable, runtii. As for the girl, the only option is to take her in with wide open arms, shower her with love and forgiveness, what happened happened and there's no turning back the clock. Raise the child and give him the best education and an ironclad system of moral and values. Ditto the strayed sister.

Which brings us to the FGM side of the arguement. I must second Nur and Baashi. FGM as practiced throughout much of the Muslim world has nothing to do with Islam, a pure cultural construct. The 'Sunnah procedure' isn't compulsory and I don't even think it's encouraged. I know for a fact that Hanbali school of thought doesn't practice it.

P.S. Nomads in the US & A, make special prayers that Mademoiselle Miers gets a quick and speedy Senate hearing; with her and Monsieur Roberts on the Supreme Court, it's only a matter of time before Roe v Wade is struck down as the murder-sanctioning tool it is. Macshar Al-Feminists, Thy doom is neigh smile.gif

Cara.   

In Conclusion, Gudidda as done in Somalia should be banned, no girl should go through that life threatening ritual, if on the other hand a consensus is reached by a competent Medical Professionals and Religious Scholars of the safety of a Sunnah compliant Gudid surgery, that will help a minor cope with sexual pressure without compromising her marital sentiments, then I am emboldened more than ever to say that I am all for it, and I stand by my statement until proven wrong.

1. Does Sunnah gudniin reduce sexual pleasure?

2. Will these Medical Professionals and Religious Scholars include women?

3. If Sunnah gudniin does reduce sexual pleasure, have you considered the long-term ramifications? What if this causes educated girls to opt out of marriage, since access to halal sex is no longer a drive? If our girls do go on to marry, but they lack the desire to get intimate with their husbands, how will this effect the men? Will they force their wives to have sex, or marry four of them as a matter of course? Will the men look outside holy matrimony for gratification?

Cara.   

Abortion is a far more henious crime than FGM. Cutting of a hand, a foot, or a clitoris for that matter can never come close to ending sacred life.

Followed by...

I'd have the family shoot the Jamaican dude(who impregnated her with his vile najaasah) dead. It can be 'fixed' so that he's another black statistic. It's very doable, runtii.

Strange.

Kashafa   

^^ Well, He did knock up the girl, no ? Whether she was willing accomplice or not isn't relevant. He commited the crime and has to face the music. So this is nothing more than 'honour killing' updated for the 21st century. Only this time the dogs get the bullet insteada the dames. Plus, I said sacred life, not a sorry licentious excuse for an najaasah'istic existence.

Gudniin is bad, in one extreme, but on the other extreme are people who advocate the experimentation of an illicit sex in our society through the advertisements of sex without Gudniin! These people tell us many times that the most important thing in life is sex, and therefore it has to happen through all shapes, xaaraan walaa xalaal, everything goes! Their motto in such campaigns, however, is to sell the idea of free-from-gudniin to our society, so that we take an adventurous visit to what is known as permissive society.

Ilaaheey ima gaarsiiyo xiligaas, Aamiin!

Xoogsade   

Alle Ubaahne, Caafimaadaa laga hadley and no sex. May be some up there wrote something about that and I haven't read all the posts. The main theme of the discussion as I realized turned into whether gudniin of women is according to islam or not.

Why don't you contribute if you know something in line with islam about the subject? Xadiis saxiix ah ma la haayaa? they taught us to ask questions and now we are doing that. Till I see that I am against it.

Asalaam aleykum ,

Sorry I couldnt read the whole thread, but I just wanted to share these views on this topic.

I strongly disagree with those who claim FGM is Islamic or a cultural necessity. Sexual satisfaction is a right which every woman and man has given by Allah.

Sexuality in Qur'an and Hadith

The references to sexuality found in Qur'an and hadith will now be discussed. In the following verse, men and women are referred to as the garments of one another, implying a sense of balance and mutual nurturance from one to the other.

It is lawful for you to go in unto your wives during the night preceding the (day's) fast: they are as a garment for you, and you are as a garment for them. God is aware that you would have deprived yourselves of this right, and so He has turned unto you in His mercy and removed this hardship from you. Now, then, you may lie with them skin to skin, and avail yourselves to that which God has ordained for you.(2:187)

Also, by reviewing this and the verses below one appreciates the fact that sexual relations are sanctioned by God and are viewed as part of the spiritual relationship that exists between a husband and wife. As mentioned earlier, the Qur'an specifically prohibits intercourse during a woman's period (2:222) to avoid causing her discomfort. In verse 223 of the same Surah, the Qur'an says:

Your wives are your tilth; go, then, unto your tilth as you may desire, but first provide something for your souls, and remain conscious of God, and know that you are destined to meet Him. And give glad tidings unto those who believe.

Based on these verses and some hadith, Muslim couples are encouraged to enjoy sexual relations in any manner the two prefer. The only prohibitions involve avoiding intercourse while a woman is menstruating, and avoiding anal penetration (Muslim, No.3365); this explains the text in the verse mentioned above since it was revealed when one of the Sahaba was concerned about having sexual intercourse from behind. He was worried that he committed a sin. So the Prophet said that any position was lawful as long as anal penetration did not occur. Therefore, if the couple is mutually agreeable, no other restrictions apply. Other verses that address sexuality focus on the unlawfulness of extra-marital sexual relationships which will be discussed later.

Sexual Rights of the Wife

Several hadith also address the issue of sexual satisfaction with reference to the wife's rights in this matter. The Prophet advised Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As (who spent all day fasting and all night in prayer) to fast sometimes and not at other times; to pray at night and to sleep at night. "Your body has a right over you, your eyes have a right over you and your wife has a right over you." (Bukhari, Vol.7, No. 127) The wife's rights include a right to companionship from her husband and fulfillment of her sexual needs.

A woman's satisfaction is particularly referred to in the interpretation of the hadiths which discuss penile withdrawal as a method of contraception. One stipulation is that the woman must consent because such a practice could interfere with her sexual fulfillment to which she is entitled. Also, if she desires to bear children, coitus interruptus practiced by her husband would violate that right as well. This viewpoint is based on a hadith transmitted by Umar ibn-al-Khattab who said that the Prophet forbade the practice of coitus interruptus with a woman except with her permission This reference is found in Sex and Society in Islam, by B. F. Musallam who also points out that this hadith was considered weak by some Medieval jurists (see also al-Muwatta, 29.34, No. 100). Nevertheless, the position regarding the woman's right to orgasm was developed over time by several Muslim jurists during the same period (Busallam, Chapter 2 and footnotes). Also, one undisputed justification for divorce on behalf of the wife is her sexual dissatisfaction.

The most explicit discussions of sexual relations with respect to fulfilling the wife's needs are found in the Book on the Etiquette of Marriage, part of Abu Hamid Al-Ghazali's larger work, Revival of the Religious Sciences (Ihya Ulum al-Din), written in the eleventh century. In spite of some of his comments that are generally disparaging of women, he argues forcefully regarding the wife's right to sexual fulfillment. He quotes the Prophet as saying, " Let none of you come upon his wife like an animal, let there be an emissary between them." When asked what is the emissary, he replied, "The kiss and sweet words." In another hadith, the Prophet points out that one of the deficiencies of a man is that "he should approach his wife and have sexual contact with her before exchanging words and caresses, consequently, he sleeps with her and fulfills his needs (i.e. orgasm) before she fulfills hers." Al-Ghazali further elaborates on the importance of a woman achieving orgasm by stating, "Congruence in attaining a climax is more gratifying to her because the man is not preoccupied with his own pleasure, but rather with hers..."

Mutual Satisfaction

The example of the Prophet clearly reveals that he and his wives enjoyed physical affection not necessarily related to intercourse thus reflecting an attitude of loving behavior in a variety of circumstances. Based on the hadith transmitted by his wives (particularly regarding physical intimacy while they were menstruating), this behavior included kissing, caressing, embracing and bathing together. (Sunan Abu Dawud, Nos. 267-273, 2376-2379; Muslim, Nos. 577-586, 629)

Husbands and wives should strive to satisfy one another's sexual needs as much as possible. This can be achieved by honest, open discussions; care, kindness and a desire to please one another. Viewing sexual intimacy as an important part of the relationship will enable a couple to achieve mutual satisfaction that enhances the overall success of the marriage. Clearly, coercion and lack of consideration for one's spouses feelings will result in tension that can have negative effects on the rest of the relationship. Unfortunately, if a Muslim woman is raised to abhor and fear any matters related to sex, then in most instances of sexual contact she would be a passive and perhaps unwilling participant, and definitely not one who derives pleasure from sex. Also, the general view of sex as a shameful and dirty act contributes to inhibitions of both men and women, preventing them from enjoying an act sanctioned by God.

Another thing is FGM doesnt or shouldnt be a factor to cause chastity in females. We all know that its the Islamic ruling of fear of Allah which should make our hearts strong enough to protect our private parts.

Female Genital Mutilation

Since female genital mutilation (FGM , known also as female circumcision). is a custom among some Muslims, the Islamic position must be made clear. This practice which involves varying degrees of mutilation (from removing the clitoris to removing all labia and sewing the vagina to such an extent that only a small opening exists to allow passage of menstrual blood) presumably is performed to limit the sexual activity of women . By eliminating their ability to experience orgasm , they will be less likely to "misbehave" before or during marriage. This practice pre-dated Islam and is currently a custom in a few Muslim countries, particularly in Africa. Only one hadith exists which specifically addresses FGM. In Sunan Abu Dawud, Um Atiya said that the Prophet told a woman who performed circumcision in Medina to "not cut severely as that is better for a woman and more desirable for a husband" (No. 5251). According to Abu Dawud, this is a weak hadith (mursal). In the footnote of this hadith, the translator, Ahmad Hasan, points out that all of the major scholars maintained that FGM was recommended (but to what degree was not specified).

A review of the previous discussion of sexuality, exposes the unIslamic nature of this practice. Sexual responsibility in terms of chastity and fidelity is required of both men and women. As mentioned earlier, there is no reason women need physical evidence of virginity and men do not. Each individual is responsible for her/his actions and is accountable to God. A woman is expected to follow the guidelines of Islam because she is capable and does not need to be physically impaired to do so. Also, the importance of sexual satisfaction and pleasure is applicable to both men and women; there is no way a woman who has been mutilated can feel pleasure during sexual relations. Also, the same hadiths mentioned above which advise against cosmetic surgery would further argue against FGM. Because this act is so contrary to Islamic principles, it must be outlawed and resisted by all Muslims, particularly those in positions of influence who can impact the behavior of large communities where this custom is practiced. Muslim leadership must take a strong, unapologetic stand to convince the community of Muslims that FGM is totally unIslamic, with the hopes of eliminating it altogether, at least among Muslim groups that continue to practice FGM.

AND

Although there is no reference to circumcision at all in the Qur'an, there is a well-established tradition of male circumcision in Islam as a "sunnah" act (i.e., one following the practice of the Prophet and his companions). There is no mandate at all for female circumcision, however. Although female circumcision is not mandated, one tradition of disputed authenticity permits (but does not encourage) the removal of a minuscule segment of skin from the female prepuce, provided no harm is done.
Permitting such a ritual constitutes an act of tolerance by Islamic law for pre-Islamic practices, and may be overruled by the Islamic prohibition against harmful acts. Consider, for example, that Islamic law protects a woman's right to sexual enjoyment, as demonstrated by the fact that a woman has the right to divorce on the grounds that her husband does not provide sexual satisfaction.
It follows that Islamic law prohibits clitorodectomy (partial or complete) or infibulation, or any genital mutilation which impairs the woman's ability to enjoy sexual relations.

Its a cowards cry if you ask me, to have your daughter anatomically hindered instead of enlightening her with the religious knowledge and basic commonsense regarding sexuality.

And with FGM we cannot forget the psychological, physical disability a woman attains. Nobody knows how much psychologically they suffer but we do know the implications the wound has on the womans health.

The physical and psychological effects of female genital mutilation

Physical effects

The effects of genital mutilation can lead to death. At the time the mutilation is carried out, pain, shock, haemorrhage and damage to the organs surrounding the clitoris and labia can occur. Afterwards urine may be retained and serious infection develop. Use of the same instrument on several girls without sterilization can cause the spread of HIV.

More commonly, the chronic infections, intermittent bleeding, abscesses and small benign tumours of the nerve which can result from clitoridectomy and excision cause discomfort and extreme pain.

Infibulation can have even more serious long-term effects: chronic urinary tract infections, stones in the bladder and urethra, kidney damage, reproductive tract infections resulting from obstructed menstrual flow, pelvic infections, infertility, excessive scar tissue, keloids (raised, irregularly shaped, progressively enlarging scars) and dermoid cysts.

First sexual intercourse can only take place after gradual and painful dilation of the opening left after mutilation. In some cases, cutting is necessary before intercourse can take place. In one study carried out in Sudan, 15% of women interviewed reported that cutting was necessary before penetration could be achieved.1 Some new wives are seriously damaged by unskilful cutting carried out by their husbands. A possible additional problem resulting from all types of female genital mutilation is that lasting damage to the genital area can increase the risk of HIV transmission during intercourse.

During childbirth, existing scar tissue on excised women may tear. Infibulated women, whose genitals have been tightly closed, have to be cut to allow the baby to emerge. If no attendant is present to do this, perineal tears or obstructed labour can occur. After giving birth, women are often reinfibulated to make them "tight" for their husbands. The constant cutting and restitching of a women's genitals with each birth can result in tough scar tissue in the genital area.

The secrecy surrounding FGM, and the protection of those who carry it out, make collecting data about complications resulting from mutilation difficult. When problems do occur these are rarely attributed to the person who performed the mutilation. They are more likely to be blamed on the girl's alleged "promiscuity" or the fact that sacrifices or rituals were not carried out properly by the parents. Most information is collected retrospectively, often a long time after the event. This means that one has to rely on the accuracy of the woman's memory, her own assessment of the severity of any resulting complications, and her perception of whether any health problems were associated with mutilation.

Some data on the short and long-term medical effects of FGM, including those associated with pregnancy, have been collected in hospital or clinic-based studies, and this has been useful in acquiring a knowledge of the range of health problems that can result. However, the incidence of these problems, and of deaths as a result of mutilation, cannot be reliably estimated. Supporters of the practice claim that major complications and problems are rare, while opponents of the practice claim that they are frequent

Effects on sexuality

Genital mutilation can make first intercourse an ordeal for women. It can be extremely painful, and even dangerous, if the woman has to be cut open; for some women, intercourse remains painful. Even where this is not the case, the importance of the clitoris in experiencing sexual pleasure and orgasm suggests that mutilation involving partial or complete clitoridectomy would adversely affect sexual fulfilment. Clinical considerations and the majority of studies on women's enjoyment of sex suggest that genital mutilation does impair a women's enjoyment. However, one study found that 90% of the infibulated women interviewed reported experiencing orgasm.2 The mechanisms involved in sexual enjoyment and orgasm are still not fully understood, but it is thought that compensatory processes, some of them psychological, may mitigate some of the effects of removal of the clitoris and other sensitive parts of the genitals.

As for abortion, it is only halal when a mothers life is in danger and if the fetus is less than 120 days. And it isnt an easy thing either like FGM with it it carries psychological trauma. As for the doctor who performs it he/she has to pay fidia if he/she is a Muslim as its still like killing a soul.

Abortion

Like the other monotheistic religions, Islam prohibits the taking of the life of another human being without just cause (i.e. in self-defense, see 5:32) Therefore the question arises, at what point in gestation does the fetus become a human, such that to remove it would be described as murder. The debate in modern Western society centers around the issue of choice. Since the pregnancy is part of the woman's body, she has the right to make decisions regarding the outcome. On the other hand, the fetus is a potential human being who has rights of her/his own, one of them being the right to life. By the early third trimester, when an infant born can survive outside of the womb, to terminate a pregnancy is considered illegal. Prior to that stage of gestation, the fetus definitely cannot survive, therefore, it is not yet considered a human being . Others believe that the fetus's status as a human begins at conception.

The Qur'an describes the stages of embryonic development (22:4, 23:12-14) and states that at a certain point during development, the fetus is given a soul. According to the jurists and their interpretation of a related hadith, the ensoulment occurs somewhere between 40 and 120 days of gestation (Musallam, p.53-4). Based on these references all of the major jurists agreed that the fetus did not become endowed with a human spirit until at least 40 days of gestation had occurred. Some felt that this did not occur until 120 days of gestation. In reviewing historical documents of Medieval Islamic jurists, Musallam argues that abortion was considered a form of birth control which was essentially allowed by all of the major juristic positions (p.69).

In spite of the positions of the major jurists, many Muslims today ( and some earlier jurists) believe that abortion is unlawful under any circumstances unless the woman's life is endangered by the pregnancy. Modern technology (not available to early jurists) enables the physician to see the beating heart of a 21 day old embryo; whether the embryo qualifies as a person is really only known by God. Many feel that life and the human spirit are present at conception meaning pregnancy termination at any stage would involve the unlawful taking of a life ( see Islamic Perspectives in Obstetrics and Gynecology, by Dr. Hassan Hathout, pp. 61-78 ). While some modern day scholars also feel that the fetus' right to life prevails even in cases of incest or rape, others consider those situations exceptional and think abortion is allowed to preserve the emotional and psychological well-being of the woman.

As mentioned above, some Muslim scholars have interpreted the Qur'an and Hadith as explaining when the fetus becomes a human being (between 40 and 120 days of gestation) therefore, termination would be lawful during that time. The appropriate circumstances for termination would then be considered. Today, women often terminate pregnancy because they are sexually active and not yet married; pregnancy in those circumstances is undesirable for many reasons. If individuals avoid extramarital sex, they would not be faced with making such a difficult decision. For married couples, unwanted pregnancy most often occurs as a result of contraception failure. According to the jurists cited in Musallam, (namely Hanafi, Shafi'i) abortion is permissible if the parents fear hardship, physical, psychological or other. Economic justification is generally not considered sufficient since the Qur'an says "Do not kill your children for fear of want."(6:151) even though this verse is referring to living children. Also, if a woman is nursing a young infant (who relies solely on breast milk for sustenance) and she becomes pregnant, she can terminate the pregnancy in the interest of her first child as pregnancy decreases milk production and would thus be harmful to her baby (Qardawi, p201-202).

As for the case, girl impregnated by the jamaican boy.

First thing to do is she has no right to terminate her pregnancy. She did the act knowingly and they are equally in trouble.

Two, the family should find the male member and if he is willing marry her off to him. End of story.

Articles I have quoted from relating to this topic.

FGM and Islam

Islam and FGM

sexuality

Islamic perception of sexuality

Physical and psychological effects of FGM

Back to the qn: FGM Vs Abortion.

Both of them are evil. FGM islamically isnt haram(sacred law) neither is Abortion if the shariah ruling is followed. But still both are frowned on and something to be avoided.Commonsense and matter of necesity should be applied ot Abortion as for FGM avoidance and condemnation should be in order.

NB: All the wellwishers Jazkhallah kheir, May Allah keep you and your loved ones safe too.

Kashafa

Honour killings are not Islamic, and in all cases women, the weaker individual are killed. Even if you think the jamaican guy deserves it, noone has the right to do so.

He or she can only be punished when 4 eye witnesses are available or if they confess to their sin. Kaput, they arent entitled to the death sentence and you also have to put into account they are single thus their punishment should(assuming being in an islamic state) 100 cannings.

honor killing