Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Missing Somali Girl

Does anyone have any info about the missing girl in MN? What is the somali community doing about it? Any new leads? I can't seem to find her in the news.

Castro   

Concern over missing Somali rises

A sandal found near the Washington Avenue Bridge might belong to the woman.

Myron P. Medcalf, Star Tribune

More than 100 members of the Somali community gathered Thursday at the Brian Coyle Community Center in Minneapolis to question city and police officials about their efforts to locate a 24-year-old woman who disappeared early Tuesday.

Lt. Jeff Storms of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office said that a man called authorities about 3:15 a.m. Tuesday and said he saw a woman go over the guard rail of the Washington Avenue pedestrian bridge above the Mississippi River. The witness looked into the river but saw nothing.

University of Minnesota police found a sandal near the bridge that Sudi Bashir Abdi's family said might belong to her.

Her brother contacted police a few hours later when the family woke up and realized that she was missing.

Many at Thursday's meeting wondered aloud whether Abdi had been kidnapped or forced into the water, and asked Storms and Minneapolis police Capt. Rich Stanek if they were using every available resource to find her.

Storms said the Sheriff's Office is using the metro area's only sonar-enabled boat to search the river. He said that no foul play is suspected and that a recovery team has been searching the river from 7 a.m. until sundown daily.

He said the Sheriff's Office has expanded its efforts for this investigation, which "has a lot to do with the community" responding the way it has.

Stanek said that he would gather more facts about the case once he left the meeting but that until something leads police to believe that a crime led to Abdi's disappearance, it won't become a criminal investigation.

Abdi attends medical school at Hofstra University in New York. She returned to Minneapolis for a visit late Monday, her family said.

Omar Jamal, a community leader, facilitator and translator at the meeting, said the missing woman has been a role model. He said the best way to reach a resolution is for community members and police to work together.

Fartun Abdi, the missing woman's sister, said her sister would not take her own life. She had told Fartun Abdi that she was excited to come home and take care of their mother. She was stressed a bit about medical school, but had detailed plans to spend time with family members.

She said that it would not have been unusual for her sister to be near the river late at night, but that if she's in it, it's not by choice. "If she's in there, she's in there against her will," she said.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Sudi Bashir Abdi should contact the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office water patrol division at 952-471-1300.

Myron P. Medcalf • 612-673-4092

Source

Thanks - I was typing in the wrong spelling of the name. Very sad - Inshallah, they come across good news.

Abdi attends medical school at Hofstra University in New York. She returned to Minneapolis for a visit late Monday, her family said.

Castro   

Aamiin. A medical student? Why can't we lose a bum drug addict or two instead of a medical student? I hope they find her alive and well.

Wakaalada maxaa-la-sheegay news waxee lee yihiin, though very unreliable and untrusted, she apparently took her life because of difficulties she had at her school in New York.

Hadee taas run tahay, it is very unfortunate.

Abaadir   

I hope they find her a live. Her pictures are all over Minneapolis today. Police think that she jumped over the Bridge into the river. We have been searching her all day Saturday, but no luck….. walaahay It’s very sad news. Ilaahay Janada ha geeyo hadii ay dhimatay

If she did in fact take her own life, this would be the second Somali girl in the news for committing suicide over school issues. Harvard Student Maryan committed suicide in 2002 because of difficulties she was having at school.

I hope they find her well and alive.

^^Why are you misleading the people, old man? I live near Harvard Area, and I never heard any news,(at any point in time over the past 10 years), concerning a Somali student from Harvard taking his/her life out of the deluge of suicide impulses.

Never, my friend, unless there is another Harvard around somewhere. Now, I feel good for catching a walking lie in probably several years! :D

Geeridu geel jire iyo nimaadan aqoon bay ku fiicantahay baa la yiri. This tragedy hit home, and very close at that. Keep her and her family in your prayers, dear nomads.