Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Need your Sponsorship!

Originally posted by Dabshid:

quote:Originally posted by sheherazade:

^ An Emirati came first in the 10km? Hmm.

why surprised, they have good athletes.

That wasn't surprise.

N.O.R.F   

The alarm went off at 5.30am, after praying fajer at home and having my ready break i made my way to the starting line.

I parked up and started my stretching routine to the sound of 'eye of the tiger'. It was a carnival atmosphere at 6.30am with the music and adrenaline pumping. The east african croud made the most noise; everywhere we go, people wanna know, who we are and where we come from, so we tell them, we come from AFRICA was the noise

You can never underestimate the number of Brits and Westerners in Dubai, all comeplete with their ipods and irrelevant chit chat (they make me cringe :mad: )

Anyway the race went well, i managed to run 5km before deciding to walk (my calf started getting tight :D ) for 1 km. After that it was a combination of run, walk, run, walk. Whenever i see an 'oversized' person running past me i would start running again :D . I finished in 1hr approx.

All in all it was a great day, we had fun at the carnival afterwards. I saw a family member who finished before me :confused: but he is a keep fan fanatic. We were the only two somalis :rolleyes:

i will post my pics (not of me) tomorrow IA.

Dabshid, i expect to see you there next year IA.

Castro, stop doubting me man. I will be doing Everest next year!

NG, i hear you will be doing the London Marathon saxib? ps you have never been to Burco mate :D

until tomorrow

12_sp_marathon5_5.jpg

N.O.R.F   

13_sp_marathon_wanyoike_4.jpg

Wanyoike shows the way

By K.R. Nayar, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Henry Wanyoike of Kenya may be blind, but that did not prevent him from finishing second in the 10km race.

"I am blind but my love for running beckons me to compete," Wanyoike told Gulf News.

"I turned blind on April 1, 1985. A minor stroke damaged my optic nerve and blinded me for life. I was a good sportsman before I went blind. I refused to confine myself to bed and continued to train. I went on to win the 5,000-metre Paralympics gold medal in Sydney," said Wanyoike, who broke four world records and had been nominated twice for the Laureus Sports Award. He also won the United Nations Personality of the Year award.

"It was my dream to be a champion and I am happy to show the way. I have inspired many blind people to return to sport," said Waynoike, who travels to marathon events as a goodwill ambassador

"My partner Joseph Kibunja runs behind me and guides me. That is how I run despite not being able to see," he said.

N.O.R.F   

I finished within the first 1000 (just), eat humble pie Castro!

The after effects are not as bad as i thought.

Burco University account No: D2789 - Dahabshiil The guy just got back from Hajj so no blame on him for providing info late.

Som@li   

Well done bro, it is not about winning, it is about the cause.Indeed I will take part next year with you,IA, in the mean time will get my body in shape.( Though, I now run abt 8k, 4 times a week, :cool: )

N.O.R.F   

Someone else took them ninyo. Do you think i would carry a camera around taking pics while running?

Xagaad kadacday? How was the honeymoon? :D

^^^LooL I know...nin ordaya oo masawir isla dhacaya..ha ha ha.

Dayax-malabku wuxuu ahaa istori la iga sameeyey...sxb... I have been roaming the streets of London...ask the Londoners, they might tell you something!..my tracks all over London

<---Back in Melbourne, Altho I feel like going back to London for unspecified reasons...I believe I have left something important there... :D

Cheers

N.O.R.F   

^^ :D

how was London? How were the nomads you met (if you met any but i'm guessing you have) and did you transit through Dubai (stay)?

Impressions of London/UK? How was that accent of your received?

^^^ Well am planning to post some pics i took and write a review of my time in London with special tribute to the lovely and the wonderful solers i have managed to meet.

Er'..about the accent I was condemned and later on told I have a farax-ised aussie accent (don't know what that means). I didn't pass Dubia...It wasn't part of the plan.

Cheers