Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Need your Sponsorship!

N.O.R.F   

I will insha allah run the Dubai Marathon on 12th January. I'm cutting it fine as i havnt even started training yet.

A) Are you prepared to sponsor a brother?

B) Any Idea on what charities? I'm thinking of a Somali Charity for the Blind.

I will update this thread with more details as time goes by.

Your help will benefit others. Thanks

Dubai Marathon 2007

king_450   

You are brave enought o ask! Tell us how can we raise the funds, do you have specific account where you want our donation to go.In this site alone there are about 3,000 of us who are members and we can forgo a cup of coffee for a day!So please help us help you , Where i personally can send the cup of coffee cost?

N.O.R.F   

As soon as i get confirmation of my participation i will post the account details or give it to those who pm me IA

Serenity, it simple, just put money into the account (when i post or pm it)

Zafir   

I am with King on this one. Help us help you help others brother.

PM?? What for? No need for secrecy in charity contributions, post the account information right here for all. It will stay anonymous however way you look at it, right?

Ps: Just don't quit on us Northerner, its only 3KM make sure you finish it :D:D

N.O.R.F   

3km? no no. I will be doing the Marathon (not sure but i think its 26 miles). It will be a grueling morning and IA i will be well trained by then.

I will try to open a charity account but things take so long here and need so much paperwork its better to just send to my Barclays!

Needless to say that all contributions will go to charity (which i'm still looking into).

Norf, that's very impressive, but less than 3 months to train? Yikes.

You can't really make your account details public, if you're using your personal account.

There is an alternative but it might restrict the type of charity you can fundraise for. I used to work for a cancer charity and sponsors would usually send in cheques or pay by card directly to the charity on behalf of the runner/fundraiser. It's really easy because they only need to jot the name of the fundraiser on the cheque as a reference. Cash used to be sent in the same way, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be a lot less hassle for you, if you were able to do it that way.

In terms of which charities you could support, do you have any specific charities in mind? There are a lot of deserving ones out there and a few of the large charities have active programs and appeals running in the Horn of Africa.

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a fantastic charity and they are active in Somalia.

Islamic Relief is working with Somali victims of Famine in Mandera, Kenya and the Somali region in Ethiopia.

Oxfam had several programmes running in Eastern Africa, some within Somalia, earlier this year. I'm not certain but I think the programmes are still active.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is also an excellent organisation and the Somali Red Crescent Society a most deserving one. The only problem is if you want to donate to the Bisha Cas, you have to do it by branch and region.

I have been out of the field for a year and half now so I'm not up to date but I can do a bit more research if you need more specific info.

I think it's fantastic of you to do this. Best of luck and you can count on my sponsorship. :D

Intel   

North fair effort mate..

good luck with it all sxb & may allah reward you for your good intentions ..if iyo aakhiro ba.. ameen.

we shall do our best insha'allah

You can count on my support too. But you better start training your feet off, Ramadan is almost over and January is just 'round the corner.

Just don't work with a Somali trainer. Last one I had, literally whipped me for drinking water, because she thought it was slowing me down.

'Cause you know, only fat people drink water. :rolleyes:

Saabir   

A/aleikum:

North. that's very nice of you thinking of helping others in need. Let's know how to donate and If I'm free on that day I will be there to support smile.gif

Formerly known as Silent_Guy

North,

Why not do us all a favour, drop the pretense and come out with the real purpose of this appeal. Isn't true this appeal is subterfuge to snare unwary few to adopt you as derelict. I'm thinking of queen of hearts Amelia. Word around has it she's on the look for a child to adopt.