Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

What Would You Do?

underdog   

Originally posted by Nephissa:

As Dr. Phil says, "I'm not responsible for how you perceive me, I'm only responsible for how I present myself." Therefore, Mr.Coloow, if they can not "see" me for the "princess" I am, maybe it is time for some new people in my life?
icon_razz.gif
. Anigoo Tiffany's ka shop gareesto sidee calal la ii siiyaa???

Indeed you are responsible for how you present yourself. So lets take a look at how the impression you've given in this thread:

*I get the impression that you have a refined sense of style.

*I also get that you have a sense of entitlement which reminded me of an article I recently read.

Here's the relevant excerpt:

A Sense of Entitlement In psychiatry we use the term "sense of entitlement" to describe the outrageous attitude of some of our more narcissistic clients who believe that the world "owes" them and they want to collect NOW. Patients with this type of attitude always want more. Whatever you do is never good enough for them, and they also generally show no gratitute or express any thanks--even when someone goes out of their way for them. Like the most spoiled of royalty, they merely expect that they should be the center of your world at all times. This attitude is normally seen in toddlers, who want what they want and they want it now. Every parent has had to deal with this kind of whining. When you see this attitude repeatedly in an adult, then you know you are dealing with psychopathology. Many adults whimper at the slightest inconvenience, delay, or restriction. Why? Because, like toddlers, they are convinced they deserve what they want when they want it. They are "entitled" to it.

I'm not trying to be rude, that's just how you come off when you not only show no appreciation for a gesture from somebody, but you also bring it to a public forum to see how much support you can get for being ungrateful.

Coloow? really?

Oz   

^^ Whoa :D UD That last paragraph wasn't meant to be really'

my take on this ~ " Gift-giving is one of the good manners that maintains and strengthens relations between the giver and the recipient" full stop!

Nephissa   

If knowing what I deserve, and expecting too much from life and from those around me, makes me a psychopath and a narcissist so be it! @Coloow.

Goodir   

I once got $5 gift card at Starbucks Coffee. A five dollars doesn't buy you a lot at the Starbucks and I stopped going their years ago. But that is not the point. It was a good and welcoming gesture so I accepted it with gratitude and put it in an empty drawer.

A friend lost her cellphone few week later and cadaan guy in the mall found it and called me as I was the last person she dialed. The friend and I went to pick up the phone. We met him at the lobby of his hotel, a five star hotel. He was well dressed, wearing what looked like $5000 suit, probably business man or NYSE broker. But that didn't stop me to extend my sincere $5 gift for him. He said we didn't need to get him any gift. He said he did not call us to get some reward in return. I said I insist in giving the card to him and he smiled and gladly took it.

Image if that were a nomad or any SOLer? Would they accept a $5 Starbucks Coffee gift card?

Check this youtube video. Gift exchanging Fast forward to 4:50

Cara.   

^But it's all about context don't you think? A $5 Starbucks card is fine to give to someone for finding your cellphone. But imagine if this man was given that card by his older brother, who's the CEO of a fortune 500 company, and it was a birthday or wedding gift. Or at the other end of the scale, imagine if the brother got him a Lexus sedan, but when asked why says "oh I had my personal assistant pick it out and order it for you. I'll ask her why she chose it."

Like you said, if it's a sincere gift, it should always be welcomed with gratitude, but there are clearly situations in which the social rules dictate what is or is not a sincere gift.

My 6 year old niece once gave me a drawing of me. I'm not sure how much a single piece of printer paper and some crayons cost. But she spent a lot of time drawing in the crazy hair, the lopsided smile and the giant glasses and I treasure it to this day.

On the other I'm a lousy gift-giver so none of this applies to me :D

P.S. I wanted to watch the video but that's way too much Tom Cruise so soon after lunch.

my brother gave me this blinging watch once. I don't know why they approve the manufacture of such hideosity. You can see it and the Great Wall from outer space, I tell you. I shuddered and said thank you. I may have even lied about how I felt about it. I've left it in its box. It'll come out if there's ever a London blackout.

Haneefah   

Underdog, I think my favourite Xiin's phrase is called for here: Waad shideysantahay, walal! (I was looking for an opportunity to use it :D ). Kolkii lagu arkaba qof umbaad ku kacsanthay. I have yet to see you smile/laugh/joke on these boards. smile.gif

Nephy, speaking of gifts, there's this wonderful white dude who has helped me a great deal with something, and I wanted to get him a small gift to show my gratitude but I simply can't think of an appropriate gift. Any ideas?

chubacka   

^ hahaha, too much of a gesture that.

Han, a simple, well made card to say thanks goes a lot way I think. Its always hit or miss with presents.

Aaliyyah   

Che you forgat to ask if the white dude is old and into academia. If I recall correctly that's what Haneefah finds quiet attractive.

salaam

Cara.   

Aaliyah, he didn't ask because it's irrelevant. Old or young, academic or athlete, a date with Haneefah is the holy grail of white dudes :D

Aaliyyah   

lol Cara am sure that's the case. I was merely referring to what Haneefah previously posted. She said she was into old white men who were educated..

Just being helpful here :D

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Haneefah:

Underdog
, I think my favourite
Xiin's
phrase is called for here: Waad shideysantahay, walal! (I was looking for an opportunity to use it
:D
). Kolkii lagu arkaba qof umbaad ku kacsanthay. I have yet to see you smile/laugh/joke on these boards.
smile.gif

Nephy, speaking of gifts, there's this wonderful white dude who has helped me a great deal with something, and I wanted to get him a small gift to show my gratitude but I simply can't think of an appropriate gift. Any ideas?

L0L. Ma ila aragtay? yarkan bilaash "coloow" uma oran! Markaan arko magaciisa waxaa ii sawirmo nin gaaban oo saliid murtuf intu isku soo siiyay macawiista soo duub-duubtay..adaale aadee :D . Waa lagu shukulaa maa tiri mise..due-zero aa lagu diraa kkkkkkkkk.

Haneefah, yarkan cad ha ii dambeeyee, yar Somali ku caawimay horta gift ma siin lahayd abbaayo? :D . Wallee inaad miciyo siibatay.