Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Af-Somali Vocabulary

Except for the word Hami, I use the other terms regularly.

I pronounce it as dabnaha, not dubnaha.

Interesting choice of words. They all seem like strictly reer waqooyi terms.

Shoobaro sxb choose words that are more common next time. Cause I don’t even know more than half of these words, let alone in using them.

“They all seem like strictly reer waqooyi terms.â€

You are right there 7 of 9 and hence why I don’t know them!

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Sue:

Oh and I was wondering how many people use the word Bacbaca, I'm sure I've spelt that wrong. It means the palm of your hand.

I can’t say I use that word often, but I do recall my mother using it once when I asked her if I could go to a trip to Butlins when I was in year 7, this was her exact words… “Ba’bacadaa timo may kasoo bixi? Xaaja!†in other words not in your life, :(

Mind you, I still had the Refugee stamp on my forehead :D Hence her response

Does anyone know the term Dumaal in english?.....Ina Hebel, heblaayo hebel buu dumaalay

posted by justcause

Shoobaro sxb choose words that are more common next time. Cause I don’t even know more than half of these words, let alone in using them.

“They all seem like strictly reer waqooyi terms.â€

You are right there 7 of 9 and hence why I don’t know them!

Hadaba 7 of 9 and just cause, let me explain something to you guys, There is NO such thing as "reer waqooyi terms or reer koonfur terms". What we are discussing here is the "somali language" it just so happens that the perfect and purest grammer somaali is spoken by the peaple that live in waqooyi,bari and their surroundings, and i far am concearned that's what every somali should be speaking.

Young People in Koonfur (muqadisho) have adapted new ways of speaking af soomali over the years.they have created alot of new ways and words in the past 30 years, which i sinserely say contains the usage of other languages at most times. their whole dialect is slang, kinda like what black people in the states use today, and that's what most of us adapted since we were all born and raised there.

insha allaah i will be back with more, gotta run now

asxantu

Rahima   

You may think I'm joking, but I use 7 out of the 9 words you posted, on a everyday basis.

These are:

Harraad = oon/thirsty

(as in wan Haraaday)

Hubaal = being sure of/tultulaaro miyaaa

(Ma Hubo or ma hubta...is that the same?)

Dubnaha = lips/bushimaha (we also use dubin)

Fiid = right after sunset/habeenka intuunan gudcur noqon

(fiidka)

Habsaamid = soo daahid/being late or being lost

(wan habsaamay or wa habsaamtay)

Haleelis = helid/raadis/to find or to look

(wan heelay or ma heeshay...is that the same?)

I'm surprised you lot don't use these.

Exactly what I was thinking smile.gif !And my Somali ain't crash hot either.

They all seem like strictly reer waqooyi terms.

No, I know they’re used in Mudug also.

Does anyone know the term Dumaal in english?.....

Would they even have it, considering the concept is probably unheard of in the west.

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Does anyone know the term
Dumaal
in english?.....Ina Hebel, heblaayo hebel buu dumaalay.

Shayma inabti lets say adigu wad gursadaay, sanad dhabadeed ninkagi baa si ilahaay oo dhintaay. After your Islamic waiting period, walaalki oo heer sare aah aya ku yimidaay....markasu kula hasawaay (Xalaal of course)...kabacdii wuxu ku yidhi...inabtii ilahay dariddi igu guurso.....THATS DUMAAl, when your husbands brother marries you after his brother is deceased. smile.gif

P.S. AF-somaliga reer SOL ayan ka helaay walee.

Completely agree SHOOBARO. But hush! Ha isku dirin reer koonfureed. They just seem so sweet when they talk in that xamari dialect. Who cares if I dont understand! ;)

Faheema.   

Originally posted by
Rahima:

Would they even have it, considering the concept is probably unheard of in the west.

You’re probably right sis… but the reason I asked was because I remember hearing something similar being practiced during the days of the Romans…. Perhaps it was just another one of those myths. smile.gif

Originally posted by
Silence:

Shayma inabti lets say adigu wad gursadaay, sanad dhabadeed ninkagi baa si ilahaay oo dhintaay. After your Islamic waiting period, walaalki oo heer sare aah aya ku yimidaay....markasu kula hasawaay (Xalaal of course)...kabacdii wuxu ku yidhi...inabtii ilahay dariddi igu guurso.....THATS DUMAAl, when your husbands brother marries you after his brother is deceased.

Aad iyo aad baad ugu mahadsantahay sida cajiibka leh ee aad iigu fasishay erayga “Dumaal†lakiin waxaan raadinaayey the english translation. smile.gif

BTW, isn’t that a bit too perfect for a dumaal scenario? Normally he would be old and married with children, atleast from what I’ve seen and heard. It’s highly unlikely for a young single man oo “heer sare aah†to be put in that predicament. ;)

Taqwa   

Shayma,

You know what inabtii, Abahay aya bari ii waramay...wuxu yidhi....1950's magalada allay'baday ila arabsiyo (Where you claim) odayashu intaay isku imadaan ayeey odhan jireen...."Ina hebel ayo ninki ka dhintaay"... kabacdii inanka ku higa kii dhintaay ee weli guursan aya lagu dharaa gabada geriyoday. So in VERY extraordinary cases it does take place and if I was put in the equivalent predicament, I hope my sister in law is also heer sare.

English version of DUMAL...Hmmm I know it was practiced in the Byzantine Empire but then the latin word for it was Emirona if I do recall. Lakiin wouldn't it fall under the category of Incest in todays age. Just a thought!

Malin Wacan Walaalo

^^^you are killing the topic that Shoobaro started and it ain't fair on the brother.

the topic has already been covered but hey you can start that again....would love to read about soomalida murunkooda

no offence!

intresting topic.

How Often do you used these words in your every day somaali, when you are among friends or family.

Halis

Haraad

Hubaal

Hami

Dhabanaha

Dubnaha

Fiid

Habsaamid

Haleelis

midna maka siticmaalo sorry.

Shoobaro and the rest of u i have problems with these words: dumaashi, seedi, sodoh.

mexee ku kala duwan yihiin?? :confused:

maxaa ladhahaa aabaha, hooyadda , walaasha & walaalka?

i know dumaashi in la dhoho walaasha mase walaalka waaye???

help kii iga roon, thnxz