Sign in to follow this  
Business_Man

The great big question?

I have my views on this topic but i wanted to address this topic to the female audiences of this site.What do you think of female circumcision? Is it morally right? although it doesn't state anywhere in the quran that it is a must for females!.

P.S I do apologise for touching a sensitive subject but i am keen to know your views.

Thanks Millenium.

Siman   

It is unnecessary vicious torture of female children, which has no base in religion or any morally right commandment. It leaves psychological scars on the victims and which are very hard to over come.

Jamilah   

Mr.Millenuim,

I agree with Siman she has clearly spoken for a majority. I think it is revolting i mean if it's not in the Quran we have no right to make it ayah (a verse of the quran) many believe if a Somali girl doesn't get circumcised she will become sexually active. Personally i believe that "morally wrong" is an understatement.

Istaahil   

i think its our level of ignorance. maybe if somali mothers werent so ignorant there wouldnt have been people still practacing it in somalia.

and yeah jamila i have heard that one before bout curcumcision limiting a girls sexual activeness man i thats all crap :mad: and again its our mothers level of ignorancy. it all depends on the person's moral being and decency :rolleyes: .

subhanallah what bout the suffering and pain somali women that are severly curcumcised go through if they chose to have a child. ISLAM would not allow such thing. ;)

Nazra   

Y'all need to chill, it's only a SOMALIAN culture, or many other cultures of surrounding areas in somalia.

It's just a tradition that needs to be carried out, and if not you indeed face the consequeces.

I'm aboustely having my daughters circumcised, IF i can find a professional midwife to perform it.

Hey Nasra. It is not morally right to mutilate your daughters genitals. It doesn't have anywhere in the Quran that says women should be circumcised. I think it is sick, degrading and it is definetly a culture thing so plz nasra think about the health of your future children especially when they have children. Dont do it!

Mr.Millenium

Rahima   

Nasra walaaley, tell me what would you achieve by torturing your future daughters?

Y'all need to chill, it's only a SOMALIAN culture, or many other cultures of surrounding areas in somalia.

So because it is culture we should continue to participate in it? I wonder sister, do you even realise how laughable such a reasoning sounds? Allow me to ask you, since it is Somaali culture to hate and kill each other based on clan affiliations, then should we also participate in that, should we the nomads here begin to attach each other? Because it is Somaali culture for our men to sit around chewing qaad (a harmful drug, both to the physical and mental states of the human) then should we promote its consumption? Because it was Somaali culture for the girls to not of have been educated should we go back to the ways of old? We can go on and on, but I’m sure you see my point. Just because something may be culture it does not necessarily mean it’s correct, as Muslims our criterion of right and wrong should be the Quran and Sunnah, anything that objects to it, such as FGM (which is very harmful to the girl) should be left behind.

It's just a tradition that needs to be carried out, and if not you indeed face the consequeces.

So tell me what consequences do you speak of sister? Do you think it will stop promiscuous behaviour? Do you think it will prevent rape? As are the common myths. FGM will never stop promiscuous behaviour (it’s so easy nowadays for one to go and have it re-done when the wedding is approaching). Only the fear of Allah will keep one far away from such a grave sin. As for rape, I’m sure you realise FGM does not prevent it.

But as for consequences, the consequences are for some victims of FGM continuos pain when she is menstruating, to the point where some sisters I know have to get monthly injections to ease the pain and even then she is in excruciating pain for the whole duration of the period. Sure enough even non-victims have such pain, but a far less percentage, why increase the risk for your daughter? These victims may find it difficult to even go to the toilet and giving birth is a near death experience for the non-FGM woman, imagine when the passage is even further stitched, it was already small enough to begin with (sorry for the details, but it is the truth).

I'm aboustely having my daughters circumcised, IF i can find a professional midwife to perform it.

Don’t be fooled, there is no safe way of performing FGM.

P.S I speak of the Somali form of course.

OG Moti   

Nasra well said, see guys you did not actually get her point, you just jumped on her on bases of only her disagreement with your ideas...

and that is somali way and no one will blame you for it smile.gif but let me expalin her point again

All she said was that culture is not an easy thing to change actualy should not be change, culture makes others identify you as being you and respect you for that. examples

A. Latino ppl in USA, maneged to gain recognition and respect to the extent that some states second language became spanish, thanks to bringing their culture into the states and holding into it.

B. American Arabs: again because of culture they are recognized as being american Arabs

C. Indian American

D. Jamaicans

so Rahiima_as-Somaali do not make culture sound like an old shirt needs to be changed and try to immitate other's culture, no respect will be gained for there..at least Mr.Millenium stated his point in sensable way, and he is right, thou he putted into hash words and difficult cretizism. It is not in the Quran yes, but it is a tradition and men has nothing to do, women want that, dont tell me they dont cause I havent seen a somali man who cuts females, it is done by females and if it gave them pain why should they let their daughters go through the same proces, do I make sense???

dont you fooled by what those westerns say about their culture, all they are doing is make your look bad and make theirs the right one, it give them the opportunity to be superiors and the better race..

I agree it should not be the way somalis, sudanese and Egyptians do, but we should approach the topic in a wise way and try to educate our people not cretizise their culture and telling it is wrong..BIG MISTAKE in doing that...

let me repeat of some of your words...

Siman

It is unnecessary vicious torture of female children, which has no base in religion or any morally right commandment. It leaves psychological scars on the victims and which are very hard to over come

my friend a part of the religion part your words are far from truth, are the females in your family have psychological scars?, did they complain and showed any kind of psychological illness? The answer is no, so what are you talking about for god sake, dont repeat what gaaloos are saying or judging other people for, it did not happen to them so how they know it leaves psychological scars and I am sure no somali female compalined to them except this iman who said what she said to get attention, and only attention nothing else

Istaahil

i think its our level of ignorance. maybe if somali mothers werent so ignorant there wouldnt have been people still practacing it in somalia.

Weard calling your parents and people ignorance, will that make you know better, and more educated by believing what others say about your culture? think again sis, ignorance is not the word..

Jamilah

many believe if a Somali girl doesn't get circumcised she will become sexually active. Personally i believe that "morally wrong" is an understatement

you are right and so many others do it just because it is tradition not for sexual activities limiting, "morally worng?" Ethics and moral is something that is judged by traditionand culture, if a group of people agree on walking naked in the streets, you cannt just get into their lives and tell them it is morally wrong just because it is morally worng in your culture but not in theirs, so dear circumcision "morally wrong" is words of others with different culture than us.. please read about the meaning of morally wrong..

Rahiima_as-Somaali

So because it is culture we should continue to participate in it? I wonder sister, do you even realise how laughable such a reasoning sounds? Allow me to ask you, since it is Somaali culture to hate and kill each other based on clan affiliations, then should we also participate in that, should we the nomads here begin to attach each other? Because it is Somaali culture for our men to sit around chewing qaad (a harmful drug, both to the physical and mental states of the human) then should we promote its consumption? Because it was Somaali culture for the girls to not of have been educated should we go back to the ways of old? We can go on and on

dear first it is not somali culture to hate each other, but any way if what peoplecall tradition or culture comes against religion then it is wrong and it is not culture, that is for killing each other.. Qaad is tradition and if it is so damaging why did western countries allowed people who eat Qaat to bring them to their countries? makes sense?

somali culture of not educating females, where did you get that? for your information more somali females are educated than males.. search again...

so brothers and sisters, I am just a brother who is trying to make you understand that changing your tradition and culture will not make you a better person, and as we all know, only those who kept with them their culture whereever they go gain respect and become successfull, only somalis always think others culture is better than theirs and not all somalis, I have to be fair and say some somalis..

remember I agree with you circumcision is not in the quran, but it is a culture which was going on thousands of years and never met a girl who complains, I wish if they did it in the Islamic way no cutting....

Nasra well said, she is right guys, never understimate culture, values and tradiontions

peace

Nazra   

lol, i mean forgot about what AMEN and WARIS put in YOUR MINDS, if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be talking like this.

Thank you, OG_Moti for highlighting my point, well said and well explained.(i couldn't have not, said it better)

Rahima, sis you need to define culture and tradition... that is carried out in a spefic race before you use examples such as qaad and tribal fights..what the??? those do not fit into the categories of culture nor tradition.

RAPE...where u get that silly idea from? and who said it prevents rape? i must say sis, i was not with you there, you have completely changed the aim of my point of view.

YES, IT SAYS IN THE HADITH THAT GIRLS SHOULD BE CIRCUMCISED IN A SUNNI WAY. NOT IN THE QURAN, I REPEAT, IT SAYS IT IN THE HADITH.

***AND IT SHOULD BE FOLLOWED.***

yes, i will get my daughters circumcised in the way it says in the hadith.

This islamically RIGHT.

Pain: period pains, child births pain...what the??? i ain't compalining, nor many sis around me.

I believe if it was done right then there would be no pain. :D

Siman   

OG_Moti,

obviously being a male, you have not endure this trauma yourself and not in a position to command on whether it does have psychological impact on people or not. We are talking about someone who went under a major surgery and most cases without any type of anesthesia on their most private parts and don't tell me that would have no mental effects on the child life, even if as the physical pain might fates a go away.

Rakim   

Nasra

You're right that's what the hadith said but you're missing the aim core of the Hadith.

It said Girls circumcision is just a Sunna it's not Farathl or necessary. Therefore, it's avoidable.

However, The major dilemma of somali girls is another one which is Fircooni and they're both different. This fircoone circumcision has nothing to do with religion or the goods for any females and it's the one somali practices. IT should be terminated by any means and let girls enjoy their body parts.

Yeniceri   

Asalamu calaykum,

To my understanding, the Hadith only states that a tiny incision be made whereby a drop of blood could be mustered. After that, nothing else. This is called a 'Sunni' circumcision. And as Somali/African/Arab culture has it, female 'circumcision' involves a severed clit, i.e. a woman's feelings. This is known as a 'Fircooni' circumcision and the religion DOES NOT allow it! Please bare in mind the distinction.

I also want to add and support Nasra's viewpoint. Although I DON'T agree with her view that just because its our culture we have to follow it, I do see the hardships in overcoming something that has lasted for centuries and has inherently become so natural to us. On my behalf, I would have my daughter go through the painless 'Sunni' circumcision. Simply because its Sunna!

Sidaa iyo nabadey!

Rahima   

Narsa:

Walaal, because of your reasoning that it’s “SOMALIAN culture”, I was naturally inclined to conclude that you were speaking of the fircooni way since that is the form practised by Somalis, not the Sunni form which is mentioned in the hadith.

There is a great difference between the two sister, one is mutilation, hence the title FGM (rightly named) and the other is nothing more than a small incision as will nugaal already stated.

As for my points regarding the purposes of circumcision (preventing rape and promiscuous behaviour), these are common excuses used by many individuals, if you haven’t heard it before, well believe it. I’ve personally heard people try to substantiate the barbarism of the fircooni way with these daft excuses.

You obliviously haven’t had FGM performed on you, for those of us like you and I we should count our blessings, alxamdullilah Allah saved us smile.gif . I have a very good friend who whenever her monthly period comes around, she needs to be taken to the hospital to have an injection to ease the pain, recently she wished to go to Somalia and the doctor advised her to have herself unstitched simply because she could not receive the treatment in Africa. You see the suffering of some individuals, it happens abaayo.

OG_moti:

Some points walaal:

There is no imitation of other’s cultures going on, just stating the facts. Our culture like all cultures has it’s its good and bad. There is no need for us to be over zealous in our patriotism to the point we become blind to adhering to the truth.

Who was blaming men? :confused: I blame society as a whole that is the reason that mothers do it, because they were fooled into thinking that no one would marry their daughters, no more of that alxamdullilah.

Mind you my viewpoint is based on Islam walaal, believe you me I would never take the words of the westerners blindly. The Somali way (as you’ve agreed) is haram and that is what I was speaking of, I already stated that.

Qaad is haram and like I said I don’t care for the western viewpoint, its haram because our religion tells us all harmful things are forbidden. And yes, Somali woman (in the past, like I specified earlier, the past) were not allowed to be educated.

If my tone was harsh, it was not my intention.

shyhem   

To hell with FGM,who said this shi-t is gonna stop somali women from becoming H**s,many of 'em i know i've undergone Fgm ,AND YET ARE STILL SLEEPIN' around.

It ain't a culture thing,its a primitive thing.All i know is that those old women are making our sex life harder by tampering with our future wifes.