Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Dance/hobbies

Ibtisam   

Hello ppl

Has anyone every checked out the prices for dance lessons.

anyway i never make use of my gym membership so this year I didn’t rejoin, instead i thought I’ll do something fun that i enjoy. I miss dancing as I use to have 3lessons a week in college and i though I’d join dance school/studio and have 1/2 lessons a week to keep fit, relieve stress and just chill. only to find out that one lesson cost £59 :eek: :eek: like a broke student can afford that and even if i could why would you pay £59 for couple of mirrors and a hall fully of sweating people :mad:

so i though I’d come on here and rant/ let some steam off. redface.gif

Any Londoner know any places that holds cheap dance sessions, and please no pubs or night clubs.

And does anyone know any other things that i can do as a hobby, that is fun, helps keep fit and relieves stress. I’m thinking horse riding or swimming now :D

Cheers

:cool:

Blessed   

Ibi LOL. Your cute when angry :D

If your're near East London, try The Round Chapel near Mare Street. They used to do copiera (not sure about spelling) classes last I remember. One of my colleagues used to go on and on and on about so I checked it out...It is fun, definitely keeps you on your toes.

Also try out those African dancing classes - I remember seeing adverts at work (usually 5gs) a class. Can Africans move or what!? Damn! You might get numbers on the voice news paper.

Or at zero cost, gather up your girls, throw an Arabic CD on the player and do some belly wiggling. It's major enjoyable.

Ibtisam   

^^are u laughing at my distress, laughing at my expense. :(

cheers for the suggestion. smile.gif might check it out if worse comes to worse, although hackney/Islington is bit far.

As for Arabic music and friends. only time i see Somali/ Arab people is at weddings and even then you have to attack respectable and not dance too much :rolleyes: unless it is women only, which means no music :( and i just eat and sit and watch islamoo jump up and down :D

^The buraanbur and ladies jumping like the masia is pretty entertaining. But u missed out on alot girl. A somali wedding aint officially over till you see people wiping their gabasaar tied a$$'s on the dancefloor. :D

I dont like people watching me; so for about an hour a day the music (hip-hop, good beats) is blared up high in my room and I dance alone. Sweating and panting by the time I'm done. Pretty good workout I must say. icon_razz.gif And Blessed is on to something; grab your girlfriends and just let it all out!

Ibtisam   

Kooleey :D:D i do that, but not everyday just when i am trying to think and pretty soon, someone will start knocking on my door, or put a quran tape outside my room so that i trun my music off or down redface.gif the guilt trips they put me on, so cruel. I need something I pay for, with fix times that requires someone else teaching me or at least making me feel like I have to go. But for now I will check out your suggestion

Ahura; sis that’s terrible.

All i seem to do these days sit in front of a computer, at work and at uni and even when i get home. no wonder i feel like a nerd, which i am not use to. :D i use to go running in the morning until some farah across the road decided he will join me redface.gif :rolleyes: so until i find another route, can't even do that and i feel so abnormal and lazy. lool

i will let you know if i find anything

cheers girls for all ur suggestions. appricate it smile.gif

J.Lee   

Me and my nuccas don't dance, we just pull up our pants and do the rock-a-wave-now lean back! wha? lean back! :D

I used to love to dance (c-walk and the Heel-toe) but due to old age and bones, I'm not flexible as I used to be: I just two step.

Writing and reading (pleasure reading people) are my stress relievers: nothing says stress free like a caramel macchiato and a John Grisham novel.

How about Fox Hunting? Is it still legal in the UK?

tuk tuk tuk-a-duck and tally-ho!

Here in Canada we're super friendly to animals. It is the law to feed animals, killing an animal for recreational purposes has longer sentence then murder.

We love all of God's creature here so much that we're, by law, forced to feed dears every weekend and adopt a squirrel for a year. Naturally, dears always have the right of way.

Nephissa   

Are we dancing? Boom cha boom cha boom cha.. woot woot!! I don't dance to this type of music. - I don't like this song - Maybe later - Do I know you? Sorry, I promised my boyfriend I would dance with him when he returns from the restroom - umm I have no one to watch my purse. :D How many times have you girls used those lines? L0L.

Ibtisam, take martial arts. They do a variety of things ie; kicking, punching, alot of self defense. Rest assured no Pharax will mess with you, or even pretend to run with you in the Park. :D

Haneefah   

You should try fishing come summer, I assure you nothing beats it's ultra-tranquilizing effect, given of course you pick just the right lake. Oh and do try horseback riding, it's absolutely fantasticos though it's been like ten yrs since I've tried :( ...I've heard there's great trails in central/southern Ontario which only encourages me to sign up for some lessons this coming summer Insha'Allah. :cool:

ps: SB, lol...most Canadians follow Islam, they just don't know yet!

Urban   

martial arts is probably the best i say. keeps you fit and u can kick @$$ aswell.

i practice it 5 hours a week, for only £4.

try it for a coupla weeks, i'd recommend to look for an all female one cuz there quite alot of close physical contact, but i doubt you'll find any.

Ibtisam   

^^^what do i care about physical contact :D even better i get to beat some people while pretending to be learning which reminds me i use to do kick boxing and in training you were allowed minimum contact, which meant when you were paired up with some you sort of dislike, you use full force and say "sorry was that too hard, ouch are you ok".

and where do you live that you can do that for £4, i might move near you then.

fishing in the River Thames, there are no fish and the whale died :(:( so that’s out of question and it sounds relaxing not challenging, killing fish for the sake of it since i don't even it fish (unless its processed and in a tune tin)

Bishaaro

:D good old days haah

SB :rolleyes:

Arawella   

Horse riding, fishing and fox hunting? :eek: Axudubillah, I have not lost my identity, give me gaal iyo adhirax and I’ll say yeah otherwise nay to the above. Honestly, born from a Somali family keeps you busy and occupied that both mind and body are screaming fatigue and any stolen moment of peace is a bliss. Who needs dance lessons or hobbies when simply running after dozens of nieces, nephews, doing errands for never ending aunties and uncles do the job effectively living room for nothing else!

However since you, Ibtisam, seem to be a girl who can juggle few tasks effortlessly, I’ll say try Salsa lessons or African dancing (Sukki, not sure about the spelling). The dance in particular Sukki would do not only wonders for your figure and health but also come to birthing this torturous muscle flexing exercise is very useful.