Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Will there ever be peace in Somalia?

peasant   

^^Ninkow have a firm position and flip flopping is the last attribute you would want to have, that is if you wish to be taken serious.

Aaliyyah   

Peasant loooooool yarka dhaaf dee

We shouldn't lose hope that easily ye all, insha allah peace will be established again.

Somalia ha noolaaato!

ha noolato indeed.

the problems are so many and varied with each of a different nature, cause, and proposed solution that it does seem hopeless at times.

I hate A/Y and geedi as much as the next guy but we were having these problems before they entered the picture.

let's keep the hope up......... (I dont have a proposed solution ) :(

I agree Geel_Jire,

I don’t believe that blame A/Y or Geedi will be the end of the problem. Those who succeed them will probably be just as tribalist. I think the problem with Somalia is much more endemic that it’s political leaders. All Somalis seem to have an opinion on Somalia’s political crisis and each one advocates a different solution to everyone else’s. I think we need to compromise and have deference. While it’s good that everyone has an input on the decision making process, it’s equally important that we compromise and come to a general consensus on the all political issues.

Reading thro' this thread you get a picture of somalis as a peace-loving society, people who are more than eager to unite and love each other. This has been the case for the last 15 or so years. So hypocritical of us! Every Somali(on Somalia issues)always talk of peace and unity but their actions depict otherwise.

Peace in Somalia? Very skeptical! And mark me, hope is futile in Somalia's case. I doubt that we'll ever rise up as one. Not in our era of extreme distrust.

i was reading the latest edition of the Anglo-Somali Society Journal and came across this amazing article about Tribalism. It has changed my perspectives on the whole tribalism quagmire.

Are any of you members of the anglo-somali society?, its been around since 1962.

stoit   

Eventually there will be peace ,if not by compromise and cooperation then by total annihilation of each other. Ours is of course to choose which way to peace. Is it peace and life albeit the discomforts of compromise and the natural struggles that all living things must in order to survive ? or is it total peace of all somalia as in resting in their graves ?

We have been hijacked by the insecure and the incompetent who are affraid of life and who believe not in discipline and hard work as the formula to a better life coupled by a system that will protect civil and property rights.

What is brilliant is that we can all work towards the creation of a society that will truly be harmonic. That will allow each to become who they wish to be without any preconceptions, prejudice or harm to their self or property. To get there all we need to do is act on the maxim that wish for others as you wish for yourself.

I think if we all refrained from letting the tribe be the judge and jury we should all be fine. I like many individuals on these somali websites non of whose tribes i know. In fact i would rather be friends with a different tribe somali who is bent on furthering their lives than my own tribesmen and family members who are lazy and whose intentions are dubious and whose actions are counterproductive.

A significant number of somalis who choose justice and fairness is ,in my opinion, enough to change the course of our entire nation. Of course they must first find their voice, learn to speak freely for their stance and be targeted in their approach to solution.

Congratulations to you for your you tube videos and to all those bloggers, article writers and to all those who actively debate ideas. You are already that force for change whether you all know it or not and posterity will be indebted to you and not to the Politian’s and warlords.

Most somalis think that tribalism is cosy-it is warm, loving and life enhancing. Well it may have been once when nature was almost entirely unknown and unpredictable, but all it is now is a source for great evils and structural weaknesses in our national organisation that can not and will not stand the pressures of modern living and the new geopolitical climate of the world. The sooner we outgrow tribalism and restructure the better we shall become.

Outgrowing tribalism is not the only solution for our problems but it is first and the most important step forward. Take a look at the work today , in general the most tribalistic ones are also the least progressive or the most backward. India would have been far ahead of china ,in my opinion ,if not for their cast system (tribalism). Corruption is of course rampant in tribalistic societies than it is in those societies that don’t practice tribalism. Tribalism is of course the fertile grounds on which corruption breeds and we all know that corruption and related problems are the cancer that eat away on most of the third world countries.

Somalia belongs more to the young than it does to us the old and you must then learn to claim back what is yours and be vocal about it not violent.

NASSIR   

Lack of peace in Somalia affects the whole of Horn of Africa region and that is why we are so behind than the rest of Sub-Sahara Africa.

We have to learn how to live together and reassure one anothers' fears.

Originally posted by marcassmith:

i was reading the latest edition of the Anglo-Somali Society Journal and came across this amazing article about Tribalism. It has changed my perspectives on the whole tribalism quagmire.

Are any of you members of the anglo-somali society?, its been around since 1962.

Never heard of Anglo-Somali ,,,, can you provide links, sources, etc ???

it would be interesting .....

J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o,

We are currently working on a new website and this will be launched in April 2008 Inshallah.

You can find the journal of the society which date back to 1962 in the British Library and the School of African and Oriental Studies library. The Society is in decline unfortunately due to the lack of and apathy of somali members. We intend to increase membership by relauching and rebranding the society's image to the next generation of somali people, particulaly young people.

The society is probably the most powerful advocacy organisation dealing with somali affairs in the west today. we have a branch in america, i will forward you the details inshallah.

Thanks ,, plz lemme know when you launch the website ,, it is interesting.

I don't know the libraries you talking about ,,, are they online ? coz i'm not in the UK :D

I don't know much about Somalia/Somaliland, politics, qabils, Abdullahi Yusuf, Ethiopian troops iyo balayo :confused: but I've seen enough images of innocent somali civilians being killed and sometimes an image can speak a 1000 words.

And I also believe that us 'somalilanders' should step in and give a helping hand, some individuals need to snap out of it, 'cause i doubt 'somaliland' will ever achieve any international recognition as an independent country. Anyway the prophet (saw)said 'none of you have attained complete faith unless you love for your brother what you love for yourself'.

Inshallah I think there is hope for Somalia, and I would like to believe that Somalia /somaliland will one day unite as 'ONE' and only then can we restore civilisation.

After all ISLAM should unite us all.