Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Will there ever be peace in Somalia?

I have never been the pessimistic type but lately it appears the situation in Somalia is getting out of control. Somalia is probably in a worst state today than it’s ever been and I can’t help but feel the situation will get worse in the building to the elections in 2009.

Do you guys believe there will ever be a time when we can live side by side and in harmony?

Without any hatred or discrimination? What can we do to change the situation? And can anything be achieved? And mostly importantly will there ever be peace?

No sarcastic comments! No diverting from the topic! Just personal and honest opinions!

Brother Marc

Faynuus   

Iam hopeful. I never lost hope and will never loose hope. yes we will, we can and we must find peace.

Peace was taken away by us and only us somalis can restore it.

What can we do to change the situation?

Asks good Mr Smith!

Change your political attitude toward Somalia, I say. Instead of seeing them as warring clans, consider them as internally imploded, externally exploited, politically divided communities. Don’t celebrate those divisions. Celebrate unity, adeer, on the basis of religious conviction and regional convenience! Borrow the diversity and coexistence that you’ve witnessed in Europe to heal some of the mistrust that resulted from Somali civil war. If they tell you what you preach is impractical given the political reality on the ground. Tell them that you can! If you even need a slogan to drive that unity point home, steal Obama’s ‘yes-we-can’ motto…

I sincerely believe there will be peace in Somalia. As far as living side by side in harmony, of course we can. However this task might not be easily done, if we take into consideration the many issues that are dividing our people today.

The positive thing is we can certainly change the situation together as one, united and stronger then ever. This starts from every individual who is tired of seeing his country crumble and his people murdered everyday in their own country or in the diaspora as unwanted refugees. I think we should come up with some kind of process that enables us all to be part of the election that will come up in 2009. Whether its putting in place a voting system were every Somali national in or outside of the country can vote, or demanding a transparency in the voting system and its futur candidates.

Those abroad should seriously work together and be part of the solution. We can not waste anymore time debating on which qabil killed which other innocent qabil. WHO CARES! our people are dying as we speak!

Last, indeed we can achieve greatness like we used when we believed in Somaliniimo.

^^^ Walaal the parasites can be taken care of in half a second if only Somalis worked together and believed in the strenght of their unity.

At this point fighting or getting rid of the ethiopian army when we arent even together as Somalis is never going to happen. Rather it will only bring more death to our country.

And I am frankly so DAMN! tired of seing the death of another Somali man that looks like my brother, my cousin or hearing of the rape of another Somali women who bares the same name as me or as a friend of mine. Really what matters and what will bring hope is for Somalis to finally understand that together we are the strongest. So whatever hatred or steoreotype you have against another Somali break free of it for the sake of your country!

Baluug   

There was peace in Somalia. At least relative peace, and Somalia seemed to be turning a corner in 2006. But it seems qabiilism is still way too imbedded in some peoples' hearts. Ethiopia and USA used that to their advantage to oust the ICU.

Coloow   

I share your pessimistic view. Almost everyone somali wants to leave somalia; The so called educated are worse than tribal leaders; the wadaads give fuel to the hatred (they attempt to justify tribalism); on top of that every somali wants to become a president. The divisions are just too large to bridge.

Unless we reverse the moral decay that has characterised our people peace is going to elude us.

I have been also hopefull as many here portray but the moment I check websites (see the political section of SOL), I lose hope.

I hope time proves me wrong but we are doomed to be those who love power, easy leaving, passive welfare earners, abusers of every word...

N.O.R.F   

The problem with Somalis is not tribalism. Its the false ascertion that we have progressed as a nation whereby we have tried to adopt the political structures of others thinking its the only way.

Until the traditional form of leaderhip (clan elders/suldaans etc) returns to be 'the' political form, Somalia and Somalis will continue to suffer.

Coloow   

Northerner, mmm.. Could you tell us what is good about tribalism? I have read every book on the subject; I have talked to every tribalist on earth; I have consulted wadaadod iyo waranles.

Somalia's only problem is TRIBALISM. Our tribe has become the god we worship.

This is usually disguised as a region, a town, a village etc.

Tribalism is eating the brain cells that we could use to think of a better life, a better county and a better people.

The ONLY THING THAT IS GOOD ABOUT TRIBALISM IS TRIBALISM!

Insha Allah there will be peace in Somalia but i believe it will be a long long process.

The Somalia's problem doesn't depend on A/Y or Geedi or whoever ,,,, it existed before them and nobody can assure the 2009 election/negiotiation/nomination will bring a better leadership. This guys will always switch sides one becoming the ruler and the other one becoming the freedom fighter.

peasant   

^this was a pervious response of yours whether somalia has a glimpse of hope and that its situation will ever improve or not. remember you are being watched... :D

Improve ???

Allah ha ka dhigo but i don't think it will improve sxb. A whole generation was raised in a war and it is difficult to bring them back to the normal life.

Now i still believe we're more violent thant the others. Don't tell me we're not coz you can't find the Somali wars in Wikipedia.

Insha Allah
there will be peace in Somalia but i believe it will be a
long long process.

And this is what i said ...........

I'm generally hopeless sxb ,,,, But Allah is here to change ,,,, I believe it is not easy at all.