Sign in to follow this  
Xidigo

So, which one of you lied?

Xidigo   

In order to appear intellectual :D

Nearly half of all men and one-third of women have lied about what they have read to try to impress friends or potential partners, a survey suggests.

Men were most likely to do this to appear intellectual or romantic, found the poll of 1,500 people by Populus for the National Year of Reading campaign.

The men polled said they would be most impressed by women who read news websites, Shakespeare or song lyrics.

Women said men should have read Nelson Mandela's biography or Shakespeare.

Among the 1,500 who took part in the research were 864 teenagers.

About four in 10 of the 1,500 said they had lied about what they had read to impress friends or potential partners - 46% of men and 33% of women.

Among teenagers, the figure rose to 74%, with most saying they would pretend to have read social networking pages or song lyrics.

HAVE YOUR SAY

I have to confess I do lie about my reading

Ken Day, Essex, UK

Send us your comments

One in five adults said they would read their chosen material whilst waiting for their date to arrive in the hope of making a good first impression.

Honor Wilson-Fletcher, director of the National Year of Reading campaign, said: "Reading is a brilliant tool for self-expression.

"I love the fact that every generation seems to know that it can help us all increase our potential appeal in the search for love and romance.

"For all the talk of our superficial obsession with beauty, it looks like underneath it all we know that brains contribute to sex appeal too."

web page

Paragon   

Lol. I never lie, but I hide what I read. It's sweeter that way. A man should guard the secret of what he reads/writes with his own life.

Kool_Kat   

Among the 1,500 who took part in the research were 864 teenagers.

Over 55% of the surveyed were teenagers, well that explains a lot! Song lyrics lagu yeh... :D

Off topic, the song lyrics part reminds me of when we came to Canada, I used to write out the lyrics of the songs (Tevin Campbell comes to mind)...Maantoo dhan, dami, kusooceli, dhageyso again, jooji, trying to make out just what the hell uu ku heesooyo with my limited English skills...Mind you this was a cassette tape (sometimes you rewind a little too much or not enough)...That used to be fun... :D:D

Malika   

Aaaw,KK was that a mixed tape laguu siyee?..Lol

Honestly looking back at some of the lyrics of songs that were so popular you wonder what in the god's name was that all about!

MZanzi   

Tevin did an interview with Jaime Foster Brown in Sister 2 Sister magazine a couple years back and he said that he is not heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. He says that he is just experimental - whatever that means!!!

Kool_Kat   

Experimental aa!!!!!! Najeynaa...Once you go that route ain't no coming back...

Malika, let's not go there...You don't want me talking about the mix tape along with the plastic red rose from the dollar store... :D:D Saan ugu faraxsanaalee hadaa ogaan leheed aaba kaaga daran... smile.gif

Cara.   

I have never heard of this Tevin Campbell fellow, so let's get back to the topic people.

Well, as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow says in Morituri Salutamus, reading gives you:

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,

And all the sweet serenity of books.

Or at least I think that's what the poem says. I only read this quote in someone's MySpace page.

Tevin Campbell was one of those wonder boys that simply disappeared. And about his sexuality, story has it that he is a gay and was once arrested while trying to allure male prostitute, could be just rumor. By the way 90s music was the best don't yall agree that?

As for the topic, of course people lie all the time especially when trying to impress to an opposite sex...meeqo gabar oo SOL joogta aa been la iska dhisay oo waliba rumeystay yaa heee, ma isku ciyaaraa :D

Cara.   

Hey there Gheelle.T. When did you say your shuttle to the International Space Station is going to take off? Have a safe trip, and thank you for the sample of moon rock you sent. I put it in the garden by the roses, it's amazing how easily it blends in with the Earth rocks.