Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Saba's Album 'Jidka'

The Zack   

Umu Zakaria lol. If that is the case you are not American/Canadian/British or whatever citizenship you hold now.

Good point Caamir.

Paragon   

Peering at her ample clevage proves more soothing than listening to her butchering of the language.

Waxay tahay, she has opened a new market for a host of wannabe singer sujuis smile.gif .

my passport says iam somali-Norwegian! my identity as a somali will always be with me regardles of citizenship.

Actually some political parties here suggest that only whites who can blend with norwegians should be given citizenship not blacks. You wonder why Iam against some girl who is half Ethiopian. She is somali speaking(better than some Solers(no offence pls) not somali according to my opinion.

Blessed   

Somalis are like Arabs in their approach to identity politics:

It’s NOT about your language, or your place of birth.. What matters is your qabiil.

Weligaaba isku dhadhaji, weligaaba u hees hees, there will come a day when your business in their country is over and they tell you to BUGGER OFF to the home country you istubidhly forgot about. :rolleyes:

In other parts of the world, there story is less sinister. You need to keep it in context Caamir , this woman and her foreign parents are NOT equal to entire clans that have deep roots in Somalia and it's history! You're being awfully disrespectful by making such a flawed comparison.

Huuwaaya, huuwaa

Huuwa caddeeya, huuwa

Habartaa ma joogto

Kal iyo koonfur aaday

Kabaheedee qaadatay

Soo socotaayaa ma'ogi

Sii socotaayaa ma'ogi

Huuwaaya, huuwaa

Huuwa caddeeya, huuwa

Maxaa malaayiin ciyaal Soomaaliyeed lagu seexiye.

NASSIR   

Blessed

Our difference is that I am a civic nationalist where as you sound like an ethnic nationalist. I conceive of our nation-state and its membership in and loyalty to it in terms of citizenship, common law, (discount Somali’s break down) and political participation, whereas you conceive of our nation-state’s membership and loyalty to it in terms of lineage and nomadic culture. Hence I am not driven by a political desire to impress ethnically defined interests on the agenda of the Somali state, and in the process deprive our Somali people of their right to political participation and citizenship. It is beautiful to achieve the collective aspiration and unity of our entire Somali Speaking community, but that is a reckless adventure and it has been a recipe for extremism, exclusiveness, secessionism, and last but but least a possible international anarchy.

Khalaf   

Source: The Economist

Title: Somalia: Breaking into even smaller bits

Never mind, ^^^Is a good thing right Camir.

[it’s NOT about your language, or your place of birth.. What matters is your qabiil.

Says what law?

You're being awfully disrespectful by making such a flawed comparison.

If anyone is being disrespectful, it is you lady. Your argument is is very narrow-minded and very racist. But you are entitled to your opinion however flawed and anti-historical it maybe.

Camiir well said sxb. She's born in Somalia, feels somali, identifies w/ somalis, sings (horrible) in somali...then cool. What matter's more is she Muslim. But anyhow you have terrible taste in music ninyahow. :D

Originally posted by Caamir:

Blessed

Our difference is that I am a
civic nationalist
where as you sound like an
ethnic nationalist.
I conceive of our nation-state and its
membership
in and
loyalty
to it in terms of
citizenship,
common law, (discount Somali’s break down) and political participation, whereas you conceive of our nation-state’s membership and loyalty to it in terms of
lineage
and
nomadic culture.
Hence I am not driven by a political desire to impress ethnically defined interests on the agenda of the Somali state, and in the process deprive our
Somali people
of their right to political participation and citizenship. It is beautiful to achieve the collective aspiration and unity of our entire
Somali Speaking community,
but that is a reckless adventure and it has been a recipe for extremism, exclusiveness, secessionism, and last but but least a possible international anarchy.

You are wrong and contradicting the constitution of 1960, approved by the vast majority of Soomaalis in a referendum.

Yes, there are two sets of Soomaalis: The Soomaali who is both ethnically Soomaali as well as a Soomaali by nationality and those who are not ethnically Soomaali, but are Soomaali by nationality. "Soomaali Bantu" [a term I don't agree with] community is the latter.

To those who are ethnically Soomaali, but live the occupied and neglected Soomaali Galbeed or NFD, they are automatically Soomaali by nationality as well, as per set by by that constitution of 1960. That is why many residents of Gaarisa, Mandheera and Wajeer, as well as those who were born in Jigjiga, Diradhabe and Qabridahare travelled around the world carrying Soomaali passports, obtained in Muqdisho no questions asked.

You naively consider Soomaali Galbeed to be part of "Itoobiya." It is not. It is occupied, regardless how long or decades it is. Reer NFD as well, which never was part of so-called Ingiriis isku kab kabay Kenya in colonial times. As the very name itself suggests, it was a remote frontier post, controlled separately from other lands that became later part of Kenya. The residents of this region also approved overwhelmingly to be part and parcel of Soomaaliya. Gumeysidoon Ingiriis refused to recognize.

Blessed   

^Mahadsanid!

Caamir,

I admire your stance but even when limited to ethnic nationalism, the Somali political arena is the playground of a few select clans. The rest are often sidelined socially, politically and even culturally.

As for the lady, I read her bio again and she doesn’t seem to be making the claim your making for her. She has a cultural and linguistic association with Somaalia and off course, that’s part and parcel of her identity, it’s not for me to refute that. However, she seems comfortable with her Italian - Ethiopian national identity. She also said that they were asked to leave Somalia because of their none Somaaliness. Whilst, there has never been a question of the Somaliness of clan you’ve mention. It’s not comparable markaa, even in the civil nationalist context.

Khalaf,

LOL. Anti-historical? Yes, you could describe my views of the historic Italian and Ethiopian connections with Muqdishu as an anti...but I digress, if you must jump in and speak for Caamir, please read, comprehend then respond before you make an ar*se of yourself. ;)

Khalaf   

Now we are resulting to name calling? That is ceeb madam. ;)

Listen, I was following the discussion, but there wasn’t much until the claim you made, though racist and narrow-minded and using the arabs as an example for back-up on an ethnicity topic doesn’t much help your case, however it was nonetheless an interesting assertion, though I disagree with your assertion. So do not disgress, and explain to me if you do not mind. I am not speaking for Camir, and the topic is beyond this lady. I didn’t read her biography nor is it relevant in my view, but its your claim that I am interested in.

You said:

It’s NOT about your language, or your place of birth.. What matters is your qabiil.

Do you believe the above on principle and why so, or are you as I suspect now judging by your answer to Camir: “the Somali political arena is the playground of a few select clans. The rest are often sidelined socially, politically and even culturally.”, only stating how it is in an tribal apartheid society as Somalia? Help me understand IA, um not kidding you or want to annoy you, but I find it this baffling.

The reason, is because if we are speaking on principle, say Somalia was a “normal” country, with constitution, laws, legislation, and so on then language, place of birth is what would matter and not “qabil”. I am not following MMA’s argument or what the constitution of 1960 approved. But if one is born in Somalia (imagine I know it maybe difficult that it’s a normal country here w/ laws ect), they speak the language, have the culture, pay the taxes, serve the country, loyal to the country, then this would trump “linage”. Don’t you agree? For example, there are Somali Sijui that for generations have been living in Kenya/Tanzania and have loyalty to there place of birth, and Oromo (and others) for generations that have been living in Somalia, share the language and culture with the indigenous somalis. Don’t they have more right in the country, then the Sijui for example who may have the “linage”. (Again imaging this is normal country w/ a constitution)? I would believe so. That is only a snap shot.

RedSea   

Remind me of what we are talking about again?

Oh yeah that guy claiming non somalis of being Somalis. :rolleyes: :D

NASSIR   

MMA, you are steering this topic to the politics section. I would very much love to discuss with you on that topic in a new thread.

Blessed, I like that pic in your profile.

Reread her biography, it says Saba still adheres to her Somali roots. The reason her family was persecuted is what we basically are talking about right now.

Libax, I have heard of Kola Boof but knew nothing of her. Of course Saba is more Somali than her. Thanks for the link