Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Saba's Album 'Jidka'

NASSIR   

Don't ask me how I first came to hear of her songs, but honestly one of her songs took me by surprise at the Starbucks. I mean it is really a sensational, great song with great music and with captivating Somali and English lyrics. I listened with perfunctory smile on The first ocassion. But on another ocassion the same song's turn came in sequence and fall familiarly and enjoyably on my ears. I started to find out who this singer really is. I asked one of the cashiers to find it for me the name of the artist and album. She asked me to hold on for a second and went to the private studio. 'Her name,' she said 'is SABA and the name of this song is called 'Manta'. If you listen to the song, she says like "Maanta aniga waa ku rabaa, maanta aniga waa ku maqlaa, maanta ninkeyga aan maqlaa." :D And the music is so great.

This is her Biography. On closer acquaintance with her biography, i find her exceptionally elegant for her connection with the motherland and speaking out for the plight of our country in the form of artistic expression.

Jidka (the Line)her musical debut, she explores the divide between Somalia and Italy with a rare sensitivity and gentle humour; mixing acoustic guitars and koras with traditional African beats and contemporary percussion. The result reflects both one woman's search for her identity and what it means to be alive in the 21st century, when so many people live in more than one culture.

http://www.worldmusic.net/wmn/news/item/saba

Listen to a sample of her songs. Esp Manta

Huuwaaya huuwaaya Hooyadaa ma joogto , kabaheedii qaadatey. lol

Originally posted by The Zack:

^true. Per the link you provided she is Ethio-Italian.

Caamir considers an Ethiopian-Italian woman a Somali? This fits perfectly well with his politics. :D

RedSea   

:D

now we claiming other people or perhaps from his prespective Somalia and Ethiopia have emerged.

To heck with her...>

Caamir ma hadaad ethipoaana soomaali nooga dhigtay.

why the heck is she singing in Somali. Heestiinii caruurta maxaa u geeyey. Xataa naagigii Etoobiyaankuna miyey na bililiqaysanayaan.

NASSIR   

Nomadique

Quruxleyda, there is a difference between Somali speaking people and Somali people

I hope you research and understand where I am coming from.

She is Somali under the legal context of Somali people.

Some of your ideas reflect why we mistreat some sections of Somalis (like the "Bantu") and have deprived them of their right of Soomalinimo to the point of no return.

Zack, ma aragtey , waa igu goobteen kuwaan.

Originally posted by Caamir:

Nomadique

Quruxleyda, there is a difference between
Somali speaking people
and
Somali people

I hope you research and understand where I am coming from.

She is Somali under the legal context of Somali people.

Some of your ideas reflect why we mistreat some sections of Somalis (like the "Bantu") and have deprived them of their right of Soomalinimo to the point of no return.

Zack, ma aragtey , waa igu goobteen kuwaan.

Adeer,you are the one who made a fool of himself by saying that she is a Somali. This is what you said....Waa Soomliyad luntay. She is in search of her lost identity. biogrpahigeeda maad aqrisid.

All she did was casually point out your love for all things Ethiopians. Your political views and now your taste of music.