Sign in to follow this  
Kamaavi

Music Thread [ Wat ar u listening 2]

Aaliyyah   

Jacaylbaro lol@ balayo! ..she was a sweet lady alhamdulilah I'm happy that I have met her!...qofkasta wuxun baad ka baran. No one is perfect..but it is all about striving to better yourself...Some people just accept their flaws and continue with that path, others correct it..that's the important difference..

salaam

Aaliyyah   

it is not about what I think, not at all. I did enough research and realized that most scholars have agreed that it is haraam.

At the end of the day even if some people were to say music isnt haraam, and others are saying it is..it is something that people are doubting and have different sayings on..and the prophet csw did say leave anything that is doubtful.

I mean when you think about it if you left something that you doubted alhamdulilah u have nothing to lose even if that thing isn't haraam. But, you have a lot to lose if it is..

not to mention what do we really gain out of listening to music..not much! we just waste our precious time and think we are feeling good when we listen to it (when in reality it is all about what you belief) music cant make u feel better, unless u believed in it. Like you can find comfort in reading quran if u taught ur brain and heart to enjoy it, but most of us run to music to feel better..inshallah we can try to change that!

AND im in no way a position to preach or even want to preach..just answering your questions

salaam

What Scholars agree should not matter, far more important should be why they believe this right?

I have no doubt that music is good, many studies have shown it be and I see no harm in it.

But What am getting at is, why on Earth it should even be Haram, is it the content? If it is the content then why not say bad music is bad rather then give a blanket statement about an art.

Lastly, imagine if we stretch this theory to its logical conclusion, would it not then be haraam read, walk the streets lol. I fear sometimes that modern muslims have perverted this religion and its followers into thinking the only way to lead a decent life is to become a hermit when it is the only religion I know of that continuously asks its followers for moderation in everything.

Aaliyyah   

Walaal, you can't say it shouldnt matter what the scholars agreed on... Cuz they happen to be more knowledgeable abt Islam, and have looked at it in more depth than we have. Also, what many scholars have issue with is the music. Of course the content should be good (that is why nasheeds are encouraged since they sing good lyrics)..so singing is haalaal as long as it has good content. But, music or should I say specifically music instruments those are the issue...most scholars have agreed that it is haraam. N what is allowed is duff..and even that should be used only on weddings :)

either way, you are entitled with what you believe. However, do as much research as you can insha'Allah and ask yourself what you are getting out of music ( ie when u said music is good? good for what??! do you feel more relaxed and serene? and then ask yourself is it because of music? or just cuz u adjusted yourself to feel good at the beat of the music? imagine if you could feel the same listening to the words of Allah oo aad dhagesatid quranka and u could be just as content?!..)...

salaam

How Music Affects Us and Promotes Health

Music is one of the few activities that involves using the whole brain. It is intrinsic to all cultures and can have surprising benefits not only for learning language, improving memory and focusing attention, but also for physical coordination and development.

Of course, music can be distracting if it's too loud or too jarring, or if it competes for our attention with what we're trying to do. But for the most part, exposure to many kinds of music has beneficial effects:

1Music heals

Effective therapy for pain

Overall, music does have positive effects on pain management. Music can help reduce both the sensation and distress of both chronic pain and postoperative pain.

Listening to music can reduce chronic pain from a range of painful conditions, including osteoarthritis, disc problems and rheumatoid arthritis, by up to 21% and depression by up to 25%, according to a paper in the latest UK-based Journal of Advanced Nursing29.

Music therapy is increasingly used in hospitals to reduce the need for medication during childbirth, to decrease postoperative pain and complement the use of anesthesia during surgery30.

There are several theories about how music positively affects perceived pain:

1. Music serves as a distractor

2. Music may give the patient a sense of control

3. Music causes the body to release endorphins to counteract pain

4. Slow music relaxes person by slowing their breathing and heartbeat

Reducing blood pressure

By playing recordings of relaxing music every morning and evening, people with high blood pressure can train themselves to lower their blood pressure - and keep it low31. According to research reported at the American Society of Hypertension meeting in New Orleans, listening to just 30 minutes of classical, Celtic or raga music every day may significantly reduce high blood pressure.

Medicine for the heart

Music is good for your heart. Research shows that it is musical tempo, rather than style. Italian and British researchers32 recruited young men and women, half of whom were trained musicians. The participants slipped on head phones and listened to six styles of music, including rap and classical pieces, with random two-minute pauses. As the participants kicked back and listened, the researchers monitored their breathing, heart rates and blood pressure. The participants had faster heart and breathing rates when they listened to lively music. When the musical slowed, so did their heart and breathing rates. Some results were surprising. During the musical pauses, heart and breathing rates normalized or reached more optimal levels. Whether or not a person liked the style of music did not matter. The tempo, or pace, of the music had the greatest effect on relaxation.

Speeds Post-Stroke Recovery

A daily dose of one's favorite pop melodies, classical music or jazz can speed recovery from debilitating strokes, according to the latest research. When stroke patients in Finland listened to music for a couple of hours each day, verbal memory and attention span improved significantly compared to patients who received no musical stimulation, or who listened only to stories read out loud, the study reports33.

Chronic headaches & migraine remedy

Music can help migraine34 and chronic headache35 sufferers reduce the intensity, frequency, and duration of the headaches.

Music boosts immunity

Music can boost the immune function. Scientists explain that a particular type of music can create a positive and profound emotional experience, which leads to secretion of immune-boosting hormones22. This helps contribute to a reduction in the factors responsible for illness. Listening to music or singing can also decrease levels of stress-related hormone cortisol. Higher levels of cortisol can lead to a decreased immune response23-24.

2Music even makes you smarter

Music enhances intelligence, learning and IQ

The idea that music makes you smarter received considerable attention from scientists and the media. Listening to music or playing an instrument can actually make you learn better. And research confirms this.

Music has the power to enhance some kinds of higher brain function:

Reading and literacy skills11-13

Spatial-temporal reasoning14-15

Mathematical abilities16-17 - Even children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder benefit in mathematics tests from listening to music beforehand.

Emotional intelligence

Earlier it has been thought that listening to classical music, particularly Mozart, enhances performance on cognitive tests. However, recent findings18 show that listening to any music that is personally enjoyable has positive effects on cognition.

Music improves memory performance

The power of music to affect memory is quite intriguing. Mozart's music and baroque music, with a 60 beats per minute beat pattern, activates the left and right brain. The simultaneous left and right brain action maximizes learning and retention of information. The information being studied activates the left brain while the music activates the right brain. Also, activities which engage both sides of the brain at the same time, such as playing an instrument or singing, cause the brain to be more capable of processing information.

Listening to music facilitates the recall of information19. Researchers have shown that certain types of music are a great "keys" for recalling memories. Information learned while listening to a particular song can often be recalled simply by "playing" the songs mentally.

Musical training has even better effect than just listening to classical music. There is clear evidence20, that children who take music lessons develop a better memory compared with children who have no musical training.

Note: For learning or memory performance, it's important that music doesn't have a vocal component; otherwise you're more likely to remember the words of the background song than what you're supposed to be recalling.

Music improves concentration and attention

Easy listening music or relaxing classics improves the duration and intensity of concentration in all age groups and ability levels. It's not clear what type of music is better, or what kind of musical structure is necessary to help, but many studies have shown significant effects21.

3Music improves physical performance

For more including References, you can to

http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/music.shtml

Aaliyyah   

meel baan xasuusta in aan ka akhriyey madow iyo nal isku meel ma galo yacni heestu qalbiga way madobeenasa quranka wa nuur. So one cant listen to quran and music back and forth without coming across as confused soul and we all are confused souls believe me lol ... It is two things that can't go hand in hand..just like you can't pray and go clubbing. It wouldn't make much sense for someone to pray five prayers and then find himself/herself going to clubs and doing things that allah swt prohibited..

Likewise, even thou there are those of us who doubt whether music is halaal or haraam. It is still distraction (it even says that on the article u posted to back ur point of view lol)...so why do you want to listen to something that distracts you from what allah swt brought you here for ..it says in the quran wama khalaqna alins waljin ila liyabuduni (oo ah in ilaahay waxkale no khalqin aan cabudno moye) of course at the same time we can go and look for our risiq and work to support ourselves and our loved once and as u said earlier islam is a religion of moderation...(n there was a hadith im sure u heard before abt three guys who each wanted to do one thing in extreme way like one wanted to fast all day, the other wanted to never marry, and I believe the third wanted to pray the whole day) and the prophet csw said I fast, I pray, and I marry..but do them all in moderate fashion. so the point being ilaahay nuguma khasbin wax nafteena ka badan qaadaso. Laakin music uma maleenayo in ay khyr ku jirto.

But, you decide for yourself. And, just like you googled "the health affects of music" bal google why music is haraam :P and believe me ull find so much research done by scholars and what they have to say..

n then make up your mind!

salaam

Naxar u are alone in u'r statement.

If u wanna listen to music so be it, laakiin dont make this an excuse of why "music is halal", that's wrong sxb.

U'r logical thinking will not change of what the scholars of Islam, and what there have been narrated to us from the salaf said about music.

Music is haram, whether we have the knowledge for why it is or not. And adoo daacad ah, have u read why the scholars say it's haram in detail?

The religion is not based on "LOGIC", if u really want to know why music is haram, and where the scholars have this idea from, you could easily find this in the books of the scholars.

last but not least, the loong article u have found, dosn't change anything walaal. We are talking about Islam, and not what some random non muslim expert have written about music. If it did count, that would mean that If I found an article about why "alcohol is soo good, and healthy", miyaa ayadana la banayn?

U are using an ayah from the koran, in u'r signatur, which is good, but try to follow the rest of the religion too bro.

Waa wajib dadka saaran to clarify this kind of stuff, even if u do listen to music. One thing is to do the act, another thing is to say "waa xalaal", this is a far greater sin.

This is a sincere advice from your brother.

Some reading on why music is haram:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5000/music

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/50687/music

Maskin, to be honest, before today I have not looked into why Music is Haram because the idea is very Alien to me. I am not saying that what the Scholars should not be considered, that would be foolish but that the why is more important then the what they say, because I do believe that logic, unlike what you say, is very important. When there is no clear guidance, we must use logic after all is that not what the scholars themselves do. After some search, I have found that the quran bans idle talk and that some scholars think this includes, personally, I find the interpretation a little crazy, Talk of any kind does = singing. Others have pointed out that the pagans used singing, dancing, clapping in the ka'ba and that to listen to music is amounts emulating them but again, far too simplistic connection. The Pagans read, are we not also to read? what is the use of our intellect we can determine between good and bad?

Aaliyyah, you should read this http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/hh/music.html

Strongest case against Music: “And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

Two questions, how did they come to the conclusion that Idle to is Music and Singing? Second, if the intention is not "to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah", does it still apply?