Sign in to follow this  
Farxaaan

AHMAD GUREY FROM AWDAL

Sayid Mohamed was from a certain clan that we know him coz his history was recent and his family are still alive (some of them) ,,,

As long as we don't know the exact clan of Ahmed Gurey then let's say he was SOMALI and that is it.

Yaan la kala jiid jiidan uun baan leeyahay ,,,

Som@li   

I wonder reerka sheeganaya waxa ay ka faaiidayaan? is it for chauvinism?,and moral boost?

Ahmed Gurey Soomaali weeye, halkaa in loo dhaafa maaha.

Chimera   

Thank god his qabiil is unknown like Hawo Taako, now he is immune from insults(of course you have those who are Somali but are anti-Somali themselves and who would rather attribute something to a foreigner than share it with their own people), but there is no doubt in my mind that he was a Somali

He is only one individual in Somali History we have dozens of Sultans,Generals,Admirals that could overshadow Ahmed Gurey's career but they continue to linger in the shadows of ignorance,descendants of court historians from different time periods have never been approached, the whole interior has never been excavated, basically the clannist government declared there is no History without even looking

I'm currently reading certain biased books and internet debates that argue a biased non-Somali origin(all pan-ethiopianists btw), this enables me to focus on which weak points to destroy once and for all, so in a way i think these Ahmed Gurey debates are good.

^ i agree with adam..... not being 100% sure of his qabil makes him a national hero....... then no qabil can clain. they are the descendants of Ahmed Gurey and it also makes him immune to insults that would otherwise be directed at a specific qabil.

Chimera   

I'm working on it brother, still lots of info i don't have my hands on, but it won't be long before the website is up, it's going to be great Insha-allah.

me   

Originally posted by GJ_Goate:

Some Somalis tried to reconstruct the image of Ahmed Gurey as Somali Nationalist( in the modern sense), or a clan hero for their respective clan; neither are true!The nonsense above is a good example of that. Also, Richard Burton's writings on Somalia are misleading, inaccurate and fanciful.

ps. you're not allowed to mention clan names On this forum!

^Oromoyahow naga aamus!

Farxaan, the clans that live in Awdal today haven't always lived in Awdal. So Ahmed Guray can be a member of several clans.

Also clans did not exist in the time of Axmed Guray or they were just starting.

Fabregas   

wats wrong with Oromo? Can u dispute what I say?

Clan existeD at that time and way before. I belive some 13th/14 century Arab travellers named a specefic somali clan as inhabiting 50 villages near the city of Marka. So the clan system was already developed at the time of Ahmad Gurey.......

me   

No it wasn't. Clan was developed around the 16th century.

All the major clans came into existance after the 16th century.

The simple abtirsiyo test proves that. The Arabs brought the clan system to Somalia. Clan is an Arab cultural phenomenon and is not Somali.

Fabregas   

Whether or not Arabs constructed the clan system in Somalia can be hardly proven, due to the lack of real written evidence. I would probably say the clan system existed before the Arabs came to Somalia.....but it might have been accelerated and further engraiend in Somali culture by them. Either that or Somalis were maternalistic people whom took lineage from their mothers( seems highly unlikely).

To say the Somali clan system came into existence in the 16/17th century, is a bit late and it ignores the prior references to Somali clans by Arab travellers, as early as the 13th century.

Al Idrisi's writings and travels around 1150 names the influence a specific Somali clan that lives around 50 villages, centered around Marka. The clan still lives there today. Ibn Said also attests to this fact as early as the 13th century! As you can see below:

quote :on the seacoast is found Marka whose inhabitants are Muslim. It is the Capital of the country of the Hawiya which contains more then 50 villages on the banks of the river branching out from the Nil Maqdishu 69 degrees 30 min longitude 1 degrees 10 min North latitude It is placed on the side of a river that comes out of the Nile of Magdachou and has its mouth at 2 marhala to the east of the town.Out of that river comes an arm that forms close to Meurka a sort of gulf. At the east of Meurka is the Muslim town of Magdachou (madinat al Islam) celebrated in this region whose name Maqdishu occurs frequently on the lips of travelers.... 72 degrees longitude, 2 degrees latitude at the Indian Ocean shore, its harbor offers little security.

You can also see during the time of Ahmad Gurey that the clan system is fairly developed, thus making it's development far earlier then the period you claimed. Most of his influence stems from the wide support and allegiance of Somali leaders and their warriors. Subclans of the major clans that you said only came to existence in the 16th/17th century are mentioned by the Yemeni writer of the Futuh Al Habasha. How can those subclan exist before the 16th/17century and the major clan come into existence in the in the period you mentioned?

me   

There are other ways of finding out how old the clan system is in Somalia.

The clan system could have had other function. Clan could have started of as a way of organizing the population of regions for the war against the xabash.

Horta which one was first islam or clan in Somalia?

me   

Jbro fudeedkaaga meesha uu ku geeyay arag....ma islaam iyo qabiil baad leedahay ayaa is dhalay? :D