Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

First Ever Flying Car Launced. (PICS)

Cowke   

Is this the first viable flying car? It's a question we posed back in 2006 when we first looked at the prototype Terrafugia Transition. It now looks like the answer is yes. The flying car (or “roadable aircraft,” as the Massachusetts-based company prefers), can fly like a regular plane and land at an airport before folding up its wings and hitting the road. In car mode, it can travel at highway speeds and park in regular parking spots. Terrafugia had been hoping the Transition could be classified as a light sport aircraft, as a sport pilot’s license is considerably easier to get than a regular private pilot’s license. Unfortunately, it was proving impossible to meet all the road safety requirements, while still keeping the vehicle weight under the 1,320-pound limit for a light sport aircraft. Well, it has just been announced that the US Federal Aviation Authority will make an exception for the Transition, and allow it to squeak in at 1,430 pounds. Things are looking up for this little aeromobile.

transition-0.jpg

transition-1.jpg

transition-2.jpg

transition.jpg

transition-4.jpg

transition-5.jpg

transition-8.jpg

transition-10.jpg

Cowke   

Published: 7:30AM BST 01 Jul 2010

Terrafugia Transition: How the flying car works

The Terrafugia Transition is a two-seater car that can convert from road to air in less than a minute, without the driver leaving the vehicle.

The Terrafugia Transition takes off.

The wings fold when in it is in car mode and the car can travel at speeds of up to 90 mph. The wings then unfold for flight mode in which it can cruise at a speed of 115 mph for up to 500 miles on a tank of unleaded gasoline.

The "roadable aircraft" is powered by the same 100-bhp engine whether it is on the ground or in the air.

Certified as a Light Sport Aircraft, the Transition will require a Sport Pilot license or higher to fly. It can take off or land at any public use general aviation airport with at least 2,500 feet of runway.

Before flying, the pilot extends the wings and performs a standard preflight. The engine power is directed to the propeller for flight through a carbon fiber drive shaft. Upon landing, the pilot activates the electro-mechanical wing folding mechanism from inside the cockpit, and is then able to drive away.

The vehicle was developed by former NASA engineers and built by a small American company from Massachusetts, Terrafugia, Inc.

Specifications

4 cylinder, 4 stroke liquid/air cooled engine with opposed cylinders, dry sump forced lubrication with separate oil tank, automatic adjustment by hydraulic valve tappet, 2 CD carburetors, mechanical fuel pump, electronic dual ignition, electric starter, integrated reduction gear i= 2.43.

Maximum consumption is 9 gallons per hour.

Cowke   

ilka-dahable lol. Ibtisam dadka shaksikooda ayey dhex gasha ee issueka at hand kama hadasho marka whats the point in loola hadlo.

Meeshan waxaa ka dhacey a historical event. The first flying car, meeshi laga rabay hambalyo inay tirahdo waxay soo qoreysa "puntland kama dhicin" bal maxaa puntland keenay sheekada? lol. waa iska illa muran sheekadeeda iyo the best way waa in looba jawabin kuwas oo kale!!!

Showqi   

I'm sick and tired of Hyw 401 400 & the rush houre. When can I trade my Honda Civic

Aw baalow, aw balow waa buubaa badan galaa :D

Somalina   

Flying car aa! how much would it cost taloow?

I can't wait to throw eggs at some people's houses. :D

lol@buuba badan galaa! Somalida Toronto Civic iyo Accord sey u aaminsan yihiin aa la yaabey!

Hales   

Originally posted by Nin-Yaaban:

Are they gonna let women fly this thing? ؛(

I hope not.

Hales   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

why not ........... they can fly this thing same they fly men ,,
:D

Markaa ciyaalka dugsii la gaynaayo and when the time is late in a rush of hour shel'l switch to using the flying capabillity :D and probably break a law , not to mention the parking problem she will have to adjust to.

Awoowe woman are irresponsible, emotions will get in the way.

Originally posted by Hales:

quote:Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

why not ........... they can fly this thing same they fly men ,,

Markaa ciyaalka dugsii la gaynaayo and when the time is late in a rush of hour shel'l switch to using the flying capabillity
and probably break a law , not to mention the parking problem she will have to adjust to.

Awoowe woman are
irresponsible,
emotions will get in the way.
I will let Juxa respond to this ,,,, :D