Sign in to follow this  
LaylaSamada

Af-Soomali

Waan ku salamay dhamantiin,

Okay so here's the dilemma, I went to Somalia last february and stayed there for 6 months! yeah.. I know i'm a trooper and a half! And needless to say I LOVED LOVED it. It was that Eureka moment in my life, that insert cheesy life changing odessey of mine. I came back armed with enough foreigner tales and embarassing cultural clash moments to last a life-time. I met my grandmother(s) and grandfather(s) and half my extended sub-sub-sub-sub clan (members) exchanged phone numbers and 6 trillion cell phone messages later..and 6 zillion promises to sponsor and or send money later...I came to the conclusion that dhulka hooyo waah kaa wacaan maa jiro! I learned how to tie a guntiino properly (without my niigis showing and mooning unsuspecting people), how to properly garaac anjeero and make hilib geel muukmaad! I learned old gabaays passed down centuries ago..(lol dont ask me write it out. I had really embarassing moments occur such as---

eg 1. CEEB-of-the-century 1: Who knew you had to wear googaraad with your diirac sheed..i thought it was thick and opaque and no one would see your undies and legs--apparently not..sunlight+googar ad-la'an = really pissed of nomadfolk who think you are daqan cilis maximus. I got beat up by 12 yr old somali ciiyal suuq/girls with syringes and yelled out DIANA DIANA DIANA because i'm a bit fairer.. I learned that at the tender age of 20 yrs young evidently i'm a GUMEES. I went backpacking in Ceerigabo, saw biiyo qululeey in Bari ate chinese food in waqooyi-Toghdeer, ate camel meat/ fresh fish andddd REAL HILIB CAARI.. All in ALL I had a fantabulous trip.

:sigh: can't wait to go again. East North South West Somalia is the BEST

okay now back to my dilemma..I really really wanna learn how to speak fluent somali, I learned a bit in my 6 months but not enough to talk siyassad to my grams and recite cilmi boodheri to my moms.. so if there is anyway I can learn a condenced/ superquick/ the ****** guide to Af-somali i would really appreciate it. Hit me up on facebook..scratch that... msn and TEACH ME SOOMALI.

peace n balance- nabad galayo, Salams, LaylaSamada ♥

Aaliyyah   

lol thanks for sharing this story, its wonderful to see that you loved back home. Inshallah I actually plan to visit soon, it was suppose to be this summer. But, now I doubt it, most likely the following summer. So your feedback encourages me actually to go back and learn all the things that apparently I missed. I am not much older than you are but I do speak somali fluently (or fluent enough..sometimes I don't understand the old somali poetry etc)

that been said am more than happy to teach you somali...

salaaam

Buuxo   

Leyla,Glad to hear positive experiences from Somalia.Good luck with mastering the language,if you can find a teacher to cover the basics ,you can learn the rest by reading materials online and listen to the somali news BBC/VOA etc.LOL.You can pick up a lot of words to add to your vocab.

JB,LOL@your sig.WHo said that?

Ms DD   

Great Layla.

This is heartwarming story. I hope to have similar experience, without the mooning or diracs eposide.

CEEB-of-the-century 1: Who knew you had to wear googaraad with your diirac sheed..i thought it was thick and opaque and no one would see your undies and legs--apparently not..sunlight+googar ad-la'an = really pissed of nomadfolk...

I for one have no qualms dirac without goorgorad; in fact, I welcome it. To those who objected, waa iska reer miyi. Don't mind them. From now on dirac kaligiis ku soco, nothing else hoos ku jiraan, dadka kalena yee ku wareerin. :D

Aaliyah thanks habibti I will definetley accept your offer..no backing out now :D

Buuxo I was looking for a teacher and while googling i found out that theres one in London for 88 pounds an hr! Are they teaching me somali or how to diffuse a bomb, because with that kind of cheddar I better learn how to SING in somali!

Miskin, LOOL Diirac sheed is a bit different than a regular diirac it's really thick also called a Baati.. I would never venture outside my house in a see thru diirac, No dutch courage.

Naajmudin, I had several hundred proposals..alas marrying a man who happens to be my 1st cousin is not my cup of tea..

Blessed   

LOL. Lady Samaada, you're one funny girl. Welcome. smile.gif

Tell us more of your trip, please...

Secondly, don't you have Somali speakers in your family? La sheekayso. You got yourself a free and accessible school right there and here -SOL is full of willing teachers.

On second thought, maybe too willing, you might end up with 30 teachers who will fight over the lessons. Stick with Aaliyah and take down the vacancy sign NOW. LOL.

All the best..

Paragon   

....got beat up by 12 yr old somali ciiyal suuq/girls with syringes and yelled out DIANA DIANA DIANA because i'm a bit fairer.. I learned that at the tender age of 20 yrs young evidently i'm a GUMEES. I went backpacking in Ceerigabo, saw biiyo qululeey in Bari ate chinese food in waqooyi-Toghdeer, ate camel meat/ fresh fish andddd REAL HILIB CAARI.. All in ALL I had a fantabulous trip.

Lol@Diana. So, you have a fair skin, eh? And you are twenty? And you think you are Guumeeys in that 'tender' age?

Perfect. :D

Cara.   

^ :D Let's see, she has just the prerequisites for your course?

Welcome LS. I HAVE to ask, what spelling of Einstein's first name did you use that triggered the asterisks? I've tried out several plausible variations and none of them is a hit :confused:

For learning Somali, I suggest hanging out with the fadhi-ku-dirir at coffee shops but make sure to get a rabies shot first...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, Layla! As for improving your Somali, I agree with the ladies above, get chatting to your family and other Somalis, only don't use any English.

I think my Somali was probably at it's peak when I was doing translations, although my parents helped, it was a great learning experience. Of course that was some years ago and it's no longer as strong.