Sign in to follow this  
makalajabti

Female Genital Mutilation

Flip, this is the second time I've deleted the N word from a post of yours. Cut. It. Out.

[ March 16, 2006, 14:12: Message edited by: sheherazade

like meaning? smile.gif

Khadir   

I wonder why some of you nomads think there is an epidemic Somali problem with Somali girls whooring themselves to other black races?....but Let us be honest to the subject matter at hand, FGM is a pagan practice, Islam does allow the mutilation of the human body when it is medically unnecessary, and damaging to the female in all aspects. The fact that some of you are trying to justify this as "sunnah" of some sort is uneducated and unislamic. Yes, Somalis have few backward African traditions they practice, but as Muslims we should strive to become better than the non-believers, and not join them in their devious practices.

It is possible that some Western bound Somalis are facing problems with teaching their daughters Islamic modesty and respect for themselves but there should be no reason why a Muslim person should consider FGM as a possible method of deterrence.

FGM is haram by all means in Islam. It is proper education and religious principles that teaches girls to have modesty and self-respect.

May Allah guide us All.

Blessed   

A relative of mine set up a health promotion organisation back home, which educates the locals about this issue.

She has set up educational and sewing workshops for the islaamo that carryout the 'surgery' and when they complete the course, they are given their own sewing machine - which gives them something else to stitch up and a means of making a living.

Originally posted by makalajabti:

It's few miles off Diri-Dawa. Have you ever been to Ethiopia by the way? If not why did you say I lied about that village?

Some people are FREAK.
:D

I've sojourned in Ethiopia; *** Dawa is my ancesterial homeland. That is why I knew you were lying... besides makalajabti is somali word and we somali language speakers know what it means.

Again it is highly suggestive and bespeaks to your intentions. Whether deliberate or not.

Baluug   

Originally posted by makalajabti:

My questions are for nomads here : Do you value this practice? Will you do or have you done it to your daughters? I heard that somali mothers in the West take their children to Somalia or Dubai or Egypt to get it done. Will you do the same?

Never.

Anyone who agrees girls under 15 yrs who are going to countries that practice FGM should have a full body check at the airport, raise your hand!

Imagine.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Scarlet:

Anyone who agrees girls under 15 yrs who are going to countries that practice FGM should have a full body check at the airport, raise your hand!

My hand is way up. I was disgusted and horrified to learn a distant family member did take her preteen daughters back home to perform FGM on them. I'd report her in a minute if I didn't think the attention would be more traumatic for the girls.

^Have you talked to her about it? What did she/the girls say about it? Thats horrible!

That's why I think this will save so many girls if they parents are told right at the airport after a checkup that they run the risk of deportation when they come back or a lengthly jail time + losing their children to the system if their girls come after undergoing FGM. Do u really think any sane person is going to defy them knowing the consequences? No way. But u'd be surprised at the people who violently oppose me when I bring up the subject. Citing 'ceeb, tradition, gaalo badeena ha soo galin, etc.' and a bunch more lame excuses. :rolleyes:

NaaiMa   

Khadir is right; it is not sunnah, and anything that any type of mutilation is forbidden in islam especially if it is detrimental to ones health...so umm HeLL no!

And umm to flipmode.... I googled this for you

“O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of Allah, is the best in conduct. Lo! Allah is Knower, Aware.†(Glorious Qur’an 49: 13).

With the impressive advances in modern medicine, we nomads shouldn't fret too much over FGM. Certainly it isn't too far-fetched to envisage a day when chopped off pieces are effortlessly attached back in place or artificially grown and slapped on.

Khadir   

Socod_badne =

With the impressive advances in modern medicine, we nomads shouldn't fret too much over FGM. Certainly it isn't too far-fetched to envisage a day when chopped off pieces are effortlessly attached back in place or artificially grown and slapped on

Are you saying we should ignore such an islamicaly unsound practice? and do you assume every poor girl from a badiye village is gonna be able to afford the thousands of dollars required to reverse the damage caused by FGM?....access to medical surgery is a privilege, even in Western countries like the US.