Sign in to follow this  
makalajabti

Female Genital Mutilation

The Female Genital Mutilation (FMG) of Somali women is a dangerous and painful practice. It has no religious basis but surprisingly somali people are reluctant to abandon the practice which supresses the woman's sexual pleasure and also the practice is seen as a mean of guaranteeing that girls will stay virgin.

Excision is a painful agony , it robs her of sexual pleasure and frequently causes medical problems, including hemorrhaging, infection, urinary incontinence, infertility, and complications in childbirth.

The World Health Organization estimates it will take a minimum of ten years to reduce the prevalence of genital mutilation, and three generations to eradicate it.

My questions are for nomads here : Do you value this practice? Will you do or have you done it to your daughters? I heard that somali mothers in the West take their children to Somalia or Dubai or Egypt to get it done. Will you do the same?

^^ How ironic ...ur name Makala Jabti and the topic ...

moving to FGM itself .. it is an area widely discussed here in UK, and some campgains have been carried against it and is now illegal to do carry out the practice here or take a young girl outside the courtry to have it done (carries a prision sentence) but it should not take man-laws to stop it .. is against our deen.

We also aware Islamically it has no basis but what really dissapoints me how low profile it is amongst the Somali imaams here and also back home ...very few have discussed the issue in the muxaadirooyin and perharbs its time the anti-FGM movement is championed not by those who know little about the deen or ex-models but by the Imaams themselves and the messege is preached from the mosques and beyond it ...

is a social stigma but the trend is clearlly against it and inshallah with time it will be wiped from our culture ...

Do you value this practice? NO

Will you do or have you done it to your daughters? NO

I heard that somali mothers in the West take their children to Somalia or Dubai or Egypt to get it done. Will you do the same?. NO

Mak

FGM has been discussed quite a lot on this board. I can't be bothered to search for specific threads, but you might find it useful to read some of the past discussions. :cool:

Makalajbti is the name of a small village in central Ethiopia, I have good memories from this place hence my nickname.

Thanks Ahura for the links, I am new here and I didn't know this subject has been debated so many years.

Still, I think the mentality hasn't changed in Somalia where they are still "cutting" and here where some somali parents prefer to perpetuate this tradition.

I don't know why after everything has been explained about this practice (religion, healthcare), people are still doing it.

There is something disturbing about it.

Abyen   

FGM is just nasty. Thank godness that my mother is differnt from somali mothers. i didn't go through that pain so i don't think my daughter will too. it is not mention in the qur'an so what is the use of it. correct me if i am wrong, but i heard that it is haram to do FGM because that is following fircon's path of torturing girls. (Allahu walam)

Janna   

Circumcision is not compulsory, it's Sunaah.

The zipment part is a Somali culture, in order for the zipped young woman to remain untouched.

Originally posted by Yahoo_UK:

^^ How ironic ...ur name Makala Jabti and the topic ...

:D:D

Do you value this practice? NO

Will you do or have you done it to your daughters? Maybe Sunnah with special advise from my wife

I heard that somali mothers in the West take their children to Somalia or Dubai or Egypt to get it done. Will you do the same?. NO

Just add only one more QODOB for me please..It's Sunnah to do it otherwise I won't do the "Fircaunis "Method.

Originally posted by ALexus.:

Circumcision is not compulsory, it's Sunaah.

The zipment
:D
part is a Somali culture, in order for the zipped young woman to remain untouched.

This is more so a good explanation of my points.I think we don't need to "Cut/slice" our girls as someone said here but "still" make sure you give them proper "Sexual and Islamic" teaching about XXX failure to which you may have so many "Wacel" generations after you..and rest assured that you will be a "Grandpa/Grandma of lots of kids from all ethnic tribes of the world. Some Jamaicans and Nigerians also.. redface.gifredface.gif

Originally posted by The Flipmode:

quote:Originally posted by Yahoo_UK:

Originally posted by ALexus.:

you will be a "Grandpa/Grandma of lots of kids from all ethnic tribes of the world.
[/i]
Some Jamaicans and Nigerians also..
redface.gifredface.gif
[/b]
Racist :(

Makalajabti:

you will be a "Grandpa/Grandma of lots of kids from all ethnic tribes of the world.
[/i]
Some Jamaicans and Nigerians also..
redface.gifredface.gif
[/qb]

Racist
:(
[/QB]

You are not, so go for them San kadudus

^^

You dude have some issues, You know councelling is free now adays, No need to hate on jamacians/nigerains man what did they do to you! or is it they arent classified as humans by your dictionary,Unless offcourse Your kind was the choosen One to breed from!

Learn to accept and love all ppl of different nations >>>> "Wacel" generations after you..and rest assured that you will be a "Grandpa/Grandma of lots of kids from all ethnic tribes of the world. Some Jamaicans and Nigerians also..

:eek: