Sign in to follow this  
Curly

English or Somali

Som@li   

SOOMAALI,waxaan hubaa qofku hadii dadaal saaro,,soomaligu in uu aad u fudud yahay. Waxaan xusuustaa beri aan inan saacad gudaheed ku baray sida loo qoro,loo akhriyo soomali,waayo waxa uu yaaqaaney luuqada ingiriiska.....

Baashi   

Somali 41 % (12 nomads for it)

English 59% (17 nomads for it)

I took a note! I of course voted for Somali and yet I'm writing in English what's wrong with this picture...add that my ESL is not up to par :D

War kale yaan idiin sheegayaa waxaad ka eegtaan dhanka kale. Sida aan u aqaan ama Illaaheey ii baray luqada af Soomaaliaga xubnaha nagula sheekeysta halakan uma wada yaqaanaan. Sidaa aawadeed waxey ila tahey in tixgelin aawadeed loo isticmaalo af Ingiriiska.

Sida D&D tidhi hal leysku wado. Geel-Jire yaa hada ka hor dood ceyn kan oo kale ah soo bandhigey.

Halkaa ka sii botoriya!

raula   

I mostly write and speak English (or Sawaxiili :D ). However, I can read and write in Somali smile.gif . But the problem comes in when someone like Baashi(just like above) speaks the HEAVY ones-then Iam lost redface.gif . But Bravo to myself, no one taught me how to read and write and Iam a pro(compared to some real somali-luqat born, Iam in heaven). ;) waa sidaas-yep!

i understand Baashi's lingo w/o any problem! its just i dont understand when i come across ppl who develop thier af mali!

ruala lemme break down what baash said 4 yah sista!

the ebonic version:

yo check it on the flip side! niggaz, dont be talking no kinda af mali so cut de your shyt out and lay on me in ebonic!

sorry sweetie, i am af-sawahli deficient currently!!!

Qac Qaac   

waraa Darbi sawirkaaga wuxuu i xasuusiyaa the picture on the males washroom.

Caramel thanks sis, waan ka helay sida quruxda badan oo aad ii difaacday. waraa Rudy asbax yaho, afsoomaligayga ma fahantid miyaa, jiq hakugu ahaato.

caramel & rayaana, sisters don't feel so let down ok. this is the sad story we are in, we lost our mother language, and not even ashamed of it, we still saying excuses like it is too long, did u ever see the chinese thing, or Hibrew, come on ppl. practice your own language how to read it and write it.

I prefer Somali, if no Somali then Russian. i would like to live in Groznia in chechnya....

Rudy, i can't understand ur english... most of the time. is that how they talk in San Diago man.

underdog   

I probably write better english than somali but I spend the whole day speaking english and I come in here to chit-chat with my peeps. Baasaboor iyo doolar aan karabey, afka waa kumahadsanyihiin lakin midki aan horay uwatey aan kusiisoconaa.

A7LA-SHU   

Originally posted by Qac Qaac:

caramel & rayaana, sisters don't feel so let down ok. this is the sad story we are in, we lost our mother language, and not even ashamed of it, we still saying excuses like it is too long, did u ever see the chinese thing, or Hibrew, come on ppl. practice your own language how to read it and write it.

I prefer Somali, if no Somali then Russian. i would like to live in Groznia in chechnya....

Rudy, i can't understand ur english... most of the time. is that how they talk in San Diago man.

Qac Qac are u willing to teach me dude? if yes then i sure wouldn't mind.. but seriously thou i was telling my cozin the other night.. i wish if there was somalian class at colleges n Univer.. i mean there is arabic, chines and all the other lang.. but somali? i have yet to see. so wallahi if there was one i would go for it..

n to correct ya mista Rudy is from LA not SD.. he wish to live here lol ;)

Blessed   

^^^ babe, Somali is so easy to learn. It's phonetic so if you know the alphabets, than you basically write it as you say it - with very few exceptions.. it's like writing arabic in latin...except instead of replacing some letters with numbers i.e 3 in 3ayn - c = 3 so 3ayn in Somaali is cayn - easy, eh?

My friends joke that I don't know my Somali from my English. I switch between the two languages - markaa anigu waxa maskadeyda kusoo dhacuun baan qoraa. Hadii aan report laiga sugeyn ooo rayiga aan dhiibanayo la fahmayo kama warwaro luuqada aan ku kalaamo.

Laakin, mar mar dadka qaarkood lahjad aan lafahmayn ayeey wax ku qoraan - so hadii af-Somali lagu hadlaayo let it be the standard version - ama u jajabiya dadka kale lol

Ani I am fine with both but i have a problem with tuujiye and qaacqaac's somali dialect. you guys have somehow gotten that dialect from your own pockets or so i thought.

MD   

Salam,

I prefer english, although i could read and write somali it takes me longer to read especially when it's more then one or two lines.

Curly   

Sure I see what you lot mean...If you can't speak and write english then Somali should be no problem. But with me I can easily read what is being written, by sounding it out but it takes me hours to figure out what it means and I won't pronouce it correctly either.

So when I see Somali on SOL I quickly get fustrated and bored and skip it.

And when I try to write Somali, I'm faced with the problem that I'm not actually pronoucing it correctly in the first place so people are left asking WHAT!??

So maybe some day I'll be able to read and write Somali but I'm too lazy right NOW!

raula   

"Baasaboor iyo doolar aan karabey, afka waa kumahadsanyihiin lakin midki aan horay uwatey aan kusiisoconaa." Lol Underdog...suubisiska makaheshey..me too in the same boat :D .

Ameenah-what is considered standard to you gal?? kada ba igayabiiyoba mar mar...bisinko :D;)

Rudy-thx for the translations.. ;) LA-style.

Iniga af somali wa'aqanta :D