Ms DD

She's A Thoroughly Modern Muslim

Ms DD   

BBC One

Weds 12 September

23:15-23:45

To mark the start of Ramadan, BBC One presents a delightful film about a rarely-heard voice of Middle England, featuring four women who are keen to show people that they are Thoroughly Modern Muslims. Haleh is a professor, Asia is a cartoonist, Maryam is a trainee solicitor and Fari is a full-time mum and qualified GP.

modernmuslim.jpg

Haleh, Asia, Maryam and Fari

Aided by a friendly commentary from actress Mina Anwar, they invite viewers to see Britain and Islam through their eyes, and show how they interpret the foundations of their faith in contemporary British culture.

The programme addresses all the issues expected from a documentary about Muslims – head-covering, terrorism and the Five Pillars of Islam – but people might not expect the spirit of friendliness, humour and warmth that these four women display, from Professor Haleh's modest rebellion against fasting, to young mum Fari persuading her daughter to eat her greens. And, while Asia tries to persuade the world that she isn't oppressed, Mancunian Maryam hopes one day she'll be a "strong enough person" to cover her head. They're dedicated followers of Islam, but passionate about the little things that make Britain a great place.

She's A Thoroughly Modern Muslim is 30 minutes in the company of four women – thoroughly British and thoroughly Muslim – who strive to meet the challenges posed by faith and British culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/misc/thoroughlymodernmuslim.shtml

Blessed   

Interesting. I just don't understand how after so many years of contributing to British society, we still have to explain/ show the masses that we are normal people, with normal jobs and normal personalities. Britain a great place? Clearly not!

Khalaf   

Maryam hopes one day she'll be a "strong enough person" to cover her head.

What does that mean? ....i know of andheard sisters that say the same thing.... if they wear hijab they won't get this job/career ect....is it not only Allah that provides for u? There is no iman there is it unless there is trust in Allah? Two what are they doing to get "stronger" in order to fufil commandment in the deen? Nothin.

They're dedicated followers of Islam,

How is someone who clearly disobeys commandment of Allah (cover yourself in modesty) dedicated to deen? She is a munafiiq to know what Allah ordered yet disobey it...sorry if u don't cover ladies...don't take it personal, but choice is either to obey Allah or to disobey Allah. Mida kale, w/out hijab as the lady in picture and many sisters today....how do you pray, there will be no salat in this case because to do so means you have to be covered.....subxanallah by default would be kufar of missing salat, all because of chasing duuyna/career/money subxanallah. this shouldn't be taken lightly.

peace

Buuxo   

^^I know a lot of women that do not cover their heads and still pray. They usually carry a custom made purse with a prayer scarf in it.

Baluug   

Khalaf

Of course a woman should follow the commandment of Allah SWT in that she should cover her head, but I think that's way too extreme to be calling them munafiqeen. That's a very serious accusation that shouldn't be taken lightly. You'd be best to re-phrase that.

Not covering the head is a sin (dembi) but praying and practising other obligations are those who can make the person stay in Islam.

We shouldn't say someone should not pray coz she doesn't cover her head .......

Ibtisam   

Khalaf go to hell (Inshallah not) but seriously what the hell is wrong with you?? People like you do my head in. I suppose just because she does not cover her head, she might as well drink, have sex, forget prayer and fast and everything else after all she is not covering herself :mad: Maybe she can start doing this all at once, and only then can she be classed as following Islam.

I have seen enough "undercover hijabs" to know it means jackshid if the rest of your actions contradict it.

I suppose you think one who covers but does not pray or fast and does whatever hell she likes is better, after all the little material shall save her.

P.s. Deen is not what you think, or feel or like or dislike darling, nor can you dictate what parts people can adopt or leave. Everything is between individuals and their lord who will judge them and punish or reward them accordingly.

P.s.s How can say someone who does not cover is a munafia and then say don’t take it personal, how personal can you get!! That is dangerous accusation.

Som@li   

Secular Muslims, Modern Muslims, what is next, How many muslims are loosing their faith to satisfy the kufars! :mad:

The Quran Says...

The Jews and Christians will not accept you until you follow their religion.

Ghanima, Do you cover your head?

Ibtisam   

And Muslims will never accept you, they always have something to pick on! Different people, we also have Sunni, shia, sufi, salafi, Ahuulu sunnah, hanfee, Shafi, Do I need to keep going?. This attitude of blame everything on kufuar is boring and sill. Muslims are lost and divided with or without the influence of none Muslims. After all it is not the none Muslims who have divided you into so many sec's is it now? We are forever barking up the wrong tree and blaming all and everyone but our own failures.

Waax kaasta kuf kuf, Munafiqa, etc :mad:

At least watch the damn thing before judging these people :cool:

Ibtisam   

^^^Lol.

Dabshid, that is not the issue, I was just pointing out how unfair it is to judge people simply because they don't cover, while assuming that someone one who covers is better than them, when they could be the devil in disguise. Only Allah knows what is in everyone’s heart and why they do certain things, we cannot judge them based on their outward appearance. Stating the Xaaq whether it affects you or not is part of being a Muslim.

Is not how a person acts or wat they wear that matters. Rather the 'terms' that people use that i personally have a problem with, anyone who defines themselves themselves asn a 'modern' muslim is oviously making a point that they are different from other muslims. We know the media is feeding the 'modern muslim' term into the system, but it sucks when a Muslim identifies themselves to that category to please others and not Allah ( swt).

Blessed   

^I agree, the British media has started off this campaign of categorise Muslims into good (modern - not too different) and Traditional (you've got to watch them!).

I'm not sure if the term is used by the sisters in question, we'll have to watch and see.

Kalaf and Dabshid

How about you obey Allah by following This Command;

Tharnee waman khalaqtu waheedan

-Lily-   

I think some people assume everyone's faith is as strong and clear cut as theirs. Instead, I suggest they pray to Allah to make it easy for these sisters rather than name calling.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Zenobia:

^I agree, the British media has started off this campaign of categorise Muslims into good (modern - not too different) and Traditional (you've got to watch them!).

I'm not sure if the term is used by the sisters in question, we'll have to watch and see.

The British media have good reason to do so. And no it's not because of some conspiracy theory. After all, I'm sure you'll admit that there are groups of Muslims who want to blow up the British Isles and everyone in them. There are some Muslims who want to run the whole world under a backwards Taliban style rule. What would you call such Muslims? Confused? Stray? Lost? Or even honourable? Whatever you call them you'll still have to apply some sort of distinctive label on them, hence the moderate, extreme, fundamentalist or modern labels that the British media applies here.

To dismiss such labels as some sort of campaign to belittle or categorise Muslims is duplicitous, ayeeyo. Don't let the myopic mullahs lead you down a blind alley.

I have not watched the program but if it shows Muslim women to be good, independent, intelligent and faithful to their religion I would honestly be the first to champion the cause of Modern Moderate Muslim Women.