Sign in to follow this  
Dhubad.

Somalia in 1978 - Pics

Castro   

Nice. Compare this to today where tents are the fashion du jour and schools, well that is too much of a luxury. We're well on our way to becoming Neanderthals.

Rahima   

Those 'tents' castro are part of our religion.

We should not mock the hijab irrespective of how women chose to wear it.

Jacpher   
Ololaha Horumarinta Reer Miyiga. Couldn’t they come up with another name. The development of Reer Mudug :D Oops……..I meant Miyi. The third picture reminds me of how I missed Cadey. SOL is slowly becoming a place for random disparagement remarks of Islamic values.

Castro   

^ Maya atheer. No disparagment at all. Either we were doing something "wrong" then or we're wrong now. We can't be Islamically correct in both cases. That's all I'm trying to point out. Xaasha lilah inaan diinta wax kasheego ninyahow. Dhaqan iyo deen are not one and the same thing good Ducaqabe. However, this topic has been discussed ad nauseam here so I'll bow out.

Originally posted by Afromali:

^Tent maxaa laga wadaa? :confused:

The pyramid shaped Islamic apparel that is neither Islamic nor Somali. And if its proponents get their way, they'll literally whip every women to wearing it. A whole nation of Hijabed muslimahs; they'll give a whole new meaning to the saying shifting sands of arabia.

Rahima   

^ Little you know my dear ;) , then again it would be silly to take your thoughts on Islam seriously smile.gif

Castro,

The hijab has always been part of our religion; it just so happened that our people lacked this knowledge. Those pics above Castro in terms of the lack of hijab are not something we should be hailing for, similarly we should not be referring to the hijab as a ‘tent’ or state that because of it we are ‘well on our way to becoming Neanderthals’. When it comes to the hijaab Castro it is very clear that our people were doing something wrong before, likewise on the issue of tawxiid- we have a much better understanding now. On the flip side though we understood the meaning of brotherhood better before. Nevetheless walaal, this is very dangerous thinking and equally dangerous terminology. We must never belittle or mock that which is part of our religion.

Castro   

^ Fair enough Rahima. Neanderthals was inappropriate, I admit. But a tent is not a far fetched description or label, however disparaging you may find it. Obviously, my contention is that it's less Islamic and more cultural and geographical in nature. If not, how do you suppose then, that within 2 short decades, we've suddenly become more faithful and more Islamic? Is the "tent" not a response to trauma (civil war, displacement, etc..)? A symptom of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome?

I'm outta here now. Will return later.

The pyramid shaped Islamic apparel that is neither Islamic nor Somali. And if its proponents get their way, they'll literally whip every women to wearing it. A whole nation of Hijabed muslimahs; they'll give a new meaning to the saying shifting sands of arabia

Hay!!, you mean the hijab?, the beautiful dress attire that our wonderful sisters have CHOOSEN to wear?

And why the hell did castro call it a tent? Castro marmar waan kaa yaaba walle :(

Originally posted by Rahima:

then again it would be silly to take your thoughts on Islam seriously
smile.gif

Of course, same for you as well. Ditto for the billion and one other self proclaimed Allah's interlocutors.

The only thoughts that matter are that of silent masses. What do they want, the somali women that is, what do they think?

Fact1 : if Sharia law was to rule future Somali state, every woman will be forced by threats of violence to wear the Hijab. Just look at Iran and now toppled Afghan Taliban ragime. That is what Sharia law at practice will look like. And don't you dare deny it!

Fact2 : when somali women had the freedom to dress as they liked, they choose to wear the dirac instead of the sand pyramids. There was no threats of violence (to the best of my knowledge) if they dressed otherwise. That should give you a hint as to how somali women would dress if given the freedom.

^ Not necessarily. The wadaad wannabes may like to order them around, but Somali women generally tend to be independent-minded. Those who want to wear the Hijab (in all its forms) will. Those who don't want to, prolly won't. Threats or no threats, cay or no cay.

Brown,

Castro may have meant ---->

2060.jpg

It does resemble a tent, doesn't it?