Sign in to follow this  
Sensual_Healing

Ladies lets exchange Recipes:

Blessed   

There are so many reasons. hada ilbaxnimaa la moodaa to not cook and I think hooyooyin badan oo gabdhohooda kibriyaana way jiraan. Like it was totally ceeb for gabadh hablo dhashay inay shaqo guri qabato, cuntada dibadana waa laga khashaafi jiray. Most of the older men I know cook pretty well too, I guess dadkii hore dantooday yaqaaneen.

Good luck with the xalwad-- it takes practice, so keep trying. Anigu, Xalwad Omaani ayaan bartay hada, they have so many different flavours and they let you taste it all before you buy-- intaas baa igu filanba. LOL.

Aaliyyah   

Showqi haha u wanna get me in trouble miya ..in la idhoho na ninkan kijada xalwada ku samenaya waayo ..ileen murqu donaya in u dhista kuma baxsanaye :P

Blessed lol that is true walaal dadka hada are spoiled...aniga growing up I never liked cooking I thought it was a chore.

Alhamdulilah now I ENJOY cooking though..so that is an improvement lol

salaam

Blessed   

^Waa kukaa ee bal natus waxaad isla haysid.

Aaliyah,

Yaa hawl jecelaa, waa laigu daali jiray aniga but cooking was always my prefered chore, I find it therapeutic somehow..

Juxa   

I could cook, clean and iron by the time I was 9. Age 11 gacan baan biyo baasto isaga rogey.

I don't think it is right for a girl or a guy not to have basic cooking skills.

It is ceeb to say saxan bariis makarin karo

Aaliyyah   

oh thats amazing Juxa lol hooyo kulul ma kusoo korsatay lol..I used to help my sisters bt I never really cooked anything on my own till I was like 14 or so..But, I agree with you it is a shame! everyone has to be self sufficient.

salaam

Som@li   

Juxa, very good, Your mother taught u well. :)

seriously, you teach and train kids at early age to learn how to work, and be independent, I have seen 20+ years old somalis, who can not cook one meal, and depend on their parents for everything, their mothers still consider them to be kids, and cook, clean for them. For some reason, I reckon some parents still want to feel young, by believing their grown up are still kids.

Some mothers think they helping, but they turning their kids into parasites.

^^ excellent point Som@li, i was taught how to cook from a young age. Anyone out there enjoy baking, my alltime favouritre comfort food is a good old homemade Pecan Pie.

pecan-pie.jpg

Baking is therapy in itself. :o when need to get a patisserie section going.

I do it the Videojug way

Pecan pie can be made with corn syrup, maple, golden or honey, whichever you decide to use they vary in sweetness. I like using golden syrup myself.

Unless you have the time I suggest you head straight for the ready made pastry crust which is available in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. Works a treat.

You can even get adventurous and add orange zest, vanilla or chocolate to the mixture before baking.

basic recipe

# 30 g of pre-made, pre rolled shortcrust pastry

# 2 eggs, beaten

# 250 ml light syrup

# 70 g sugar

# 2 flour

# ¼ of salt

# 1 of vanilla essence

# 160 g pecans, de-shelled

# 1 bowl

# 1 wooden spoon

# 1 knife

# 1 pie dish

# Greaseproof paper, pre-cut to fit the pie dish

Easy as pie;)

Aaliyyah   

Thanks I love baking too even thou im not that great at it. I do enjoy it! will try it inshallah..just came home. But I seem to have a headache it was too hot today! now I wish it was winter again *am i making much sense probably Not lol!

salaam

Don't worry about it just like everything elese in life theres a learning curve involved, let me know how it goes. One tip for the Pecan watch quite often as it can easily burn. My other fav is Chocolate Orange cake, again the videjug way. This will get your kitchen and house smelling amazing. Tip, be very liberal with either the fresh orange juice or for a more tangy orange flavour add about a tea spoon of extra orange zest. Vanilla essence is fine but if you can get the pods go for it. This cake is tantalising is every sense of the word. I personally like 70% dark cocoa, but works just the same with lesser cocoa content. However the richer and darker the chocolate the better the contrast with the orange. :)

Instruction Video from Videojug