Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

My gay work colleague

Ibtisam   

Our receptionist is a little gay Portuguese man, I just say hello, thank you, is the next patient here, send this or that or type this, your usual work related staff. Then one day he said he loves my Cabay and could I get him one, he will pay me. I told him this one was for ladies.

Him: Yes but I have seen men wear

beautiful similar one

Me: Oh you like it?

Him: Yes, it is quite lovely, I want one to wear at home, my boyfriend wants one too. It looks really comfortable. Where could I get one?

Me: Erm at the mosque, (I direct him to baker street)

Him: Can you get me one? I will give you the money.

Me: I will try

I did not feel comfortable getting him one, I don’t really know why, maybe because I felt he was misusing the damn thing. So I conveniently forgot about it. Then a while later after he off for a week, he came back to work.

Him: Oh Ibti guess what? Me and my boyfriend went to Tunisia, it was lovely, everyone was fasting so everything was closed for the whole day and opened in the evenings, it was good, we did shopping…. Yad yad yad. I got the dresses, yeah I got beautiful black one and my boyfriend got one with designs.

Me: Why would you wear it?

Him: I really like it, if fact I would wear it outside but I’m scared, you know bad people will shout at me and beat me up. But I think it is beautiful, maybe in the summer I’ll be brave enough to wear it to the park.

Me: Hmm

This conversation happened during Ramadan. Then today he came in to bring me my post.

Him: Hello Ibti, here is your post.

Me: Thanks I muttered, trying to find something at my desk,

Him: How was your weekend?

Me: Good, and yours

Him: Yeah it was good.

I look up, he is still standing there,

Me: Hmmm

Him: Ibti can I ask you a question

Me: Yeah sure.

Him: Why do you put the rag down when you pray (He’s walked into my office a few times while I was praying and the two other Muslims in my building use my office to pray)

Me: Because the floor is dirty as people walk on it and we have to pray on clean surface

Him: Oh okay, makes sense, why do you face south East?

Me: Well it depends on where you are and what direction Mecca is. (He looked a bit confused,) so I said Mecca is in Saudi Arabia, the black dome, all Muslims pray towards it.

Him: Oh yes, yes, I understand.

Him: I’ve been learning how to pray (he demonstrates, saying Allahu Akbar)

Me: Oh okay

Him: So in total how many times do I say Allahu Akbar (He demonstrates again, but he conjoins the adan and the Allahu Akbar’s within the Rakah’s)

Me: Aah one is the call to prayer and ends here (I demonstrate the Athan) and then the prayer you say Allah Akbar each time you change posture.

Him: I’m learning what to say in between the Allah Akbar’s but I’m finding it a bit hard, but I will know it in a few weeks.

Me: Okay Fantastic

Him: I’m always asking Mohammed questions. [ He opens his mouth to say something else and then my phone starts ringing, he smiles and waves and goes out]

Also recently he's been saying the Salam now and again when I come in.

Anyway I’m thinking I should give him the Quran to read, the only reason I’ve not done it a long time ago is probably because he is “off the gay” [as Russell peters would say] I know if he was not I would’ve given him a copy long time ago redface.gif But my own prejudice made me feel uncomfortable about giving him a copy, who knows Allah can guide him. Or should I give him a little book, a introduction to Islam. Or should I just leave it and answer his questions when he asks, after all he has not asked me for a book or explanation.

NGONGE   

^^ Who is the Mohammed in the story? Another fellow worker or [shock horror] his boyfriend? :D

Be grown up about it and go with the flow, Ibti.

Ibtisam   

^^^No Mohammed is a fellow receptionist.

What does go with the flow mean Ngonge, I gave three options, which one?? redface.gif

JB, it is not a story you silly, waa iga daab, I'm stuck.

nuune   

Ibti it is so simple, take him out, well ofcourse with his boyfriend for a late evening coffee, and then after that bring them to the mosque in Baker st, in there some series wadaado would bombard them few khutba iyo some shawaarma.

I think since you interact with him or her, you will need to tell and educate him or her more step by step, yesterday Allaahu Akbar, today Salaam, tomoroo give the Quran, they need guidance.

Fabregas   

quote:Him: Yes but I have seen men wear

beautiful similar one

was he talking about khamees? buy him a khamees. actually, no dont una cebeyn balayadu.

Ibtisam   

^^^Did you not read the rest of the story!! HE has already got one and one for his boyfriend.

Nunne you want me to take him and his boyfriend out :eek: miyaad igu ciiyaar, I'm already tried of hearing about his boyfriend, now you want me to entertain them. That would be them giving me dacwa. redface.gif

II No that one is a different hospital all together, :D lol

JB, why what is A&T going to do?

NGONGE   

Ibti, go with the flow means GO WITH THE FLOW! :D

See how he wants to play it and adjust accordingly. Any other way and you may come across as too eager and put him off (heh! I make it sound like a love story). :D

Ibtisam   

^^^so the last option

Or should I just leave it and answer his questions when he asks, after all he has not asked me for a book or explanation.

Lol Beelayo iyo love story adiguna

lil Ibts, what this guy is up to is no different to what other non-Muslims who become interested in Islam are. At some point he will get that his actions and Islam are not compatible and he will have to choose. In the meantime, give him an introduction to Islam, answer his questions. Don't be stingy with your knowledge.

I met a woman who was a convert herself. She had once become friends with a woman who became interested in Islam. This woman happened to be living with a boyfriend at the time. When she embraced Islam, she packed up and left. She shooed him away every time he turned up at her new door. Mr other half could not believe what could take her away from him so he looked into Islam. He fell for it too.

Let it unfold. Pass on the knowledge. The rest is up to him.