Sign in to follow this  
Abaay Heylay

would you...?

"

Excuse me :rolleyes: I already have a husband, I didn't post this topic to find nin Ok.

Anyways, Education is important but a person can be uneducated and do everything as other people. I agree with UD, a man can tolerate a women who is illetrate as long she can meet her ADLs, but women look at it in the opposite way.

Aaliyyah   

I might say right now I won't, bt its easier said than done. If I was crazy in love with him perhaps i will marry him...am sure he can attain education within the next few years.....

wa salaaamu alaikum

Chimera   

I would.

I watched a talk show once about this couple that were always fighting because the girl(who's a passionate poet) felt unappreciated by her boyfriend who refused to read her poems, everytime she asked him he would come with a red herring and start a fight about irrelevant subjects but deep down the guy was burning because he didn't want to fight her at all but rather read her poems, the fact that he couldn't read ment that the only way for him to get himself out of the situation was to start a fight

It's embarrassing for a person at that age not being able to read or write and express themselves. This means most of the time they won't tell their loved ones about their problem because they are afraid they might be viewed differently. If you give the guy/girl confidence then he/she will learn it with time(there are also those who are extremely intelligent but have a learning disability and need more time)

A Somali love story based on true events is centered around a similar situation like this one. In 1917 a Dervish ship busy spying the British in Yemen suddenly encounters a Somali girl from a rich family who needs help because her ship on the way back to Somalia is now facing destruction due to a storm. The girl is saved and she consequently falls in love with one of the Dervish soldiers

Poor brother was illiterate so every letter she wrote him ment he couldn't read it.......she was forced to marry some rich fat Somali guy and died from the pain of love.........[i don't remember the rest lol]

check: Ignorance is the Enemy of Love by Faarax M Cawl

btw this question reminds of the many questions i asked myself as a kid like; wether i would stay with my future wife if she lost a leg/arm/eye or if she severly burned herself in a accident. Back then i said hell no, but now of course.

There is a big difference between imaginary faceless people in 'what if' questions and real life people in real life situations - they have a word for that, it's called:Attachment

Kool_Kat   

Ok let's say he can't read and write:

1. How would he get a job, he can't even fill out a simple employment application? So not only can't he not read and write, he would have no job!

2. How would he get driver's license, doesn't one need to take a written test? So not only can't he not read and write, he would have no car!

3. Say he goes to the bank, how would he communicate since he can't read/write he wouldn't know the difference of a $20 bill from a $50 one? Well unless, he is Canada, then colourka uu kukala fahmaa :DSo not only can't he not read and write, lacagta xataa makala aqonaayo

4. Say you go to a restaurant, how would he order his food? So not only can't he not read and write, you would have to order it for him! OR Somali restaurant it is :D

Just to point out a few things that are essential in any relationship markii la'is baranaayo...

If my grandmother (allaha u naxariistee) ee wax aqrin kartay, waxna qori kartay, I am sure miyi or not, qof walba should be able to do it...

He won't be able to write little love notes xataa, wah... War soco dheh, like I said minika hooyadiis yuu soo dhaafin...Well this is only 'had I been single' scenario...

underdog   

I think this whole argument is a moot point. Does anyone here even know a man or woman of marrying age who cannot read or write (in any language)?

Originally posted by underdog:

I think this whole argument is a moot point. Does anyone here even know a man or woman of marrying age who cannot read or write (in any language)?

Yes,i know actually countless of them. A suprising figure actually. In my line of business,i came accross many many grown a man who could not read & write at ALL(Even Somali).

At first,i was shocked but then,i felt sad,it just occured to me that Somalis,as a whole,are illitrate people.

That is the price of conflicts & civil war.

Excuse me I already have a husband, I didn't post this topic to find nin Ok.

lol@the poster. Does that mean hubby is the subject of the thread? If so, you are to blame.

You should have had him writing poems to you and such before guurka oo dhacay, or else you wouldn't be here posting this thread to find out whether or not folks could tolerate illiterates as their significant other.

PS:KK, qosol aaba igu dhishay, adiga mar hore aa ogaan laheyd haduu mid wax aqrin karin uu kusoo mari lahaa, aan umaleynaa?xashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Layzie woman, shaqo laan baa kabadatay, if u want contribute do so, if not please keep ur matag to urself cause don't wants to read it :rolleyes:

I posted this topic to see people's opinion cause my friend and I were discussing how men do not have any problems marrying women who are not educated,and how it is big deal for women. When I say the person cannot read/write i mean the english language.

KK,

Walaal I think your being a bit simple-minded here. Its not the end of the world if a man or woman can not read nor write. Of course if would make life quite hard but its not impossible. Besides the examples you took can be achieved by someone who cant write or read.

How many Somali men and women work, who are illiterate and cant speak english. Of course these positions arent glamourous ones but they help feed families.

Also many of those same Somalis drive, work and surprise surprise; they can actually recognise what a 20$ look like or mean. They are not retarded or handicapped, they just happen to not speak english.

Last I still dont want to take away from the importance of reading and writing the language of the country in which one lives, however theres no need to dumb down people.

Kool_Kat   

Layzie, magaceyga haduu qori karin, aqrin karina haduu arko xow iisheegaa walaaleey?

Lois Lane, I wish life was as simple as you put it abaayo...All I know is in 2008 nin aanan wax aqrinkarin ama qori karin, wax uu sheegi karo aaba iska yar, unless he's 80yrs old or something... :D That's just the way I see it...If that makes me 'a bit simple-minded', so be it...

Of course if would make life quite hard but its not impossible.

Life could be hard for a lot of other things, but not knowing how to read and write is not on that list...I still stand by 'minika hooyadiis ha iska fadhiyo' haduusan wax aqrinkarin ama qori karin...

Besides, what job can one have to make a decent living for him and his family if he can't read/write?

Working at a factory isn't a way of life; neither is minimum wage jobs or driving a taxi (specially for a young 30something person), that's just for me... smile.gif

KK,

Perhaps he would not be good for you. Its kinda pointless to discuss your personal criteria, as that is entirely your choice. My point here is that those that cant read nor write shouldn't be looked down on. Everybody has their bagage. Opportunities and possibilities arent always handed to you.

Its one thing if a man does not want to educate himself, but its entirely another if the man never had the chance.

Anyways, walaal, just watch out so you dont fall hard for one who cant read nor write and only speaks in drawings. :D