Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

Burqa Hijab Ban: Why I agree with Sarkozy

A key point that has been overlooked by many,including the threadstarter, is what is the relevance of the burqa in the current French political discourse? I've read one of the reports regarding Sarkozy's speech and it mentioned an estimated 1000 Muslim women don the wardobe that he was referring to. Is it really a matter of national concern considering the numbers involved?Is it in his place as a head of state of a major European country to mark a major policy speech with such a seemingly irrelevant issue? Surely there are far more pressing concerns that France is currently dealing with?

Sounds like good old fashioned scapegoating to me, and it hs helped to divert attention from the relevant issues afflicting the French population.

It was also mentioned that Sarkozy attempted to get a concession from Mr. Obama himself, regarding the burqa yet the leader of the so-called Free world differed greatly with the French President on the issue. He in fact emphasized the significance of the rights of personal freedom, and freedom of religion as reasoning for his refusal in taking a similar stance as Sarkozy. As Muslims living in the West, shouldn't that give you greater insight into the scaremongering political tactics associated with such a speech? Regardless of your personal distaste for the clothing item in question, the fact that a politician as mainstream as the President of the U.S. has refused to support such a motion should serve as an eyeopener....

Originally posted by -MARX-:

The Burqa belongs to a by-gone era. It has no place in France. It removes the woman of her personality and character! Its not Islamic nor familiar to the Somali psyche.

Was the Somali psyche even in question here? You can argue( perhaps even effectively) for your personal distaste for the burqa, however that does not justify grounds for its ban within a free society!

STOIC   

Zulfa,

When I posted yesterday that article about my city that was written by a Philly journalist about the recent use of Burqa by some brothers as a crime tool I had no intention of disaporving the dress.I view veiling as a sign of honor and distinction among women of faith.I don’t agree with some viewing it as a symbol of women inferiority in Islam, but rather a choice women make to dress to their likings. Now do I see my wife or my daughter wearing that veil? No, because veiling in Islam can be a generic term that means wearing a loosely fit modest covering! I see many Muslims in my city of Philadelphia wearing the burqa style in public minding their business. I don’t think they are under the sway of an oppressive patriachial husband at home rather I’d like to view it as a CHOICE. Thanks God I live in America where people dress as they choose!

Khayr   

quote:Originally posted by Khayr:

Johnny and Lazyie Bone....see you at the crossroads....
:D

Who do you think you are to pass judgement on people Khayr?
Ah yes, I think that we have found the 3rd blind mice. ;)

Please don't rush to misinterpretation or else I might twitter you asap... icon_razz.gif

there are many "subservient" things that women can do in France and much of the western countries which will not warrant such bans and outcry of this magnitude, supposedly aimed at preserving women's rights. a woman in the west can put on a dog collar and walk on all fours while her boyfriend pulls the leash, yet this will not be deemed as "subservient", rather, its a flamboyant display of her preferential autonomy to govern over her choices. but a woman wearing a veil is a no no, why? because to hell with her choice to wear one, in the west, the veil represents a visual assault to western virtues, plain and simple.

Exactly my sentiments. Just another man telling a woman how to dress and conduct herself :eek: . Cheap, cheap shot at the muslim community. If this was all about choice and rights of a woman to be free, then why dictate what she can wear? Harming others? Plzzz.

Why don't men just stay out of womens wardrobes? God you'll never hear a woman kick up such a fuss over issues which are none of her concern, f*cking busy-body men really piss me off.

As for Sarkozy? That digusting little midget can kiss my @ss- I voted for Ms Royale.

The Burqa belongs to a by-gone era. It has no place in France. It removes the woman of her personality and character!

cuz in the west a woman's character and her personality are defined by how skinny she is or the size of her boobs and so when you cover that up she has no value and no personality and no culture!

modesty is more important than whatever they want to call personality and culture and id rather be burqa-ed up than ho-ed out.

Goodir   

'That digusting little midget' must be feeling the heat of France as one of the largest Muslim population in Europe. The best way to attack them is to deny them the same rights he advocates in Muslim countries. Saudia, Iran and Afghanistan non-Muslim women should dress as they wish but not in France? The irony of all ironies!

LZ and Johnny atheist boy: Ask yourselves. Any women in France wears Burqa (read: Afghan Burqa)?

Dameer dhaan raacday.

Johnny B   

Khayr, And your contribution to the thread is?

Norf, there are qualifications all right, not allowing the marriage of a nine year old girls is one, I'm sure you can work your way down to the Burqa problem. icon_razz.gif

Addressing Siren,C&H and Zulfa's arguments of Sarkozy being Another man telling woman how to dress i'd say, Arab men require their women to cover their face when they go out,French men don't do, In Arabic culture parents often remove their girls from school very early just so they will have a better chance of marriage,because Arab Men demand that,namely uneducated child-factory. French parents don't do.

Now, Does highlighting the bad treatment of women in the Arabic culture and forbidding it in our secular society, justify it's continuation because of the highlighter's gender? Does it?

is it not reasonable to disregard a solution for a Woman problem just because it comes from a male human being.

um-hamid,

your choice is not in question , and all those Muslim women/girls who are not 'burqed-up' ARE DEFINITELY NOT 'ho-ed' out.

It is not like either you go under a Tent or you're a ho-ed out.

Originally posted by Johnny B:

Khayr, And your contribution to the thread is?

Norf, there are qualifications all right, not allowing the marriage of a nine year old girls is one, I'm sure you can work your way down to the Burqa problem.
icon_razz.gif

Addressing Siren,C&H and Zulfa's arguments of Sarkozy being
Another man telling woman how to dress i'd say, Arab men require their women to cover their face when they go out,French men don't do, In Arabic culture parents often remove their girls from school very early just so they will have a better chance of marriage,because Arab Men demand that,namely uneducated child-factory. French parents don't do.

Now, Does highlighting the bad treatment of women in the Arabic culture and forbidding it in our secular society, justify it's continuation because of the highlighter's gender? Does it?

is it not reasonable to disregard a solution for a Woman problem just because it comes from a male human being.

um-hamid,

your choice is not in question , and all those Muslim women/girls who are not 'burqed-up' ARE DEFINITELY NOT 'ho-ed' out.

It is not like either you go under a Tent or you're a ho-ed out.

What is with the obsession with highlighting criticism of Arab culture? For a person who purports to be liberal and open-minded, you sure do have a weakness for generalizations. You do realize that Arabic culture itself is far from as homogeneous as your attempting to portray in your myriad of criticisms. There are key differences between culture in places like Egypt and Yemen, yet you've painted the entire Arab world with the same brush using arguments that are usually reserved for Hannity and co. Those same criticisms regarding female education surely cannot solely be attributed to Arabic culture, as the same phenomenons are experienced everywhere from South Asia(not Arab lol) to Subsaharan Africa. Attributing this wide reaching problem to "Arab culture" solely is indicative of lazy research at best and irrational hatred at worst.

Originally posted by STOIC:

Zulfa,

When I posted yesterday that article about my city that was written by a Philly journalist about the recent use of Burqa by some brothers as a crime tool I had no intention of disaporving the dress.I view veiling as a sign of honor and distinction among women of faith.I don’t agree with some viewing it as a symbol of women inferiority in Islam, but rather a choice women make to dress to their likings. Now do I see my wife or my daughter wearing that veil? No, because veiling in Islam can be a generic term that means wearing a loosely fit modest covering! I see many Muslims in my city of Philadelphia wearing the burqa style in public minding their business. I don’t think they are under the sway of an oppressive patriachial husband at home rather I’d like to view it as a CHOICE. Thanks God I live in America where people dress as they choose!

I don't know if this Journalist was writing about philly or not but you should walk down chestnut street in west philly, right afte U-city and they are everywhere, even the non muslims walk around talking about aaki this and aaki that.

LG, while I understand your sentiment

Sarkozy = Opportunist toad = It is fundamentally against the fabric of decency to agree with him.

reference a respectable source

Samafal   

Never mind liberating the Moslem women, Sarkozy could do a thing or two to liberate his own western women who are pressured by men to conform certain lifestyles as far as going to have plastic surgeries everywhere in their body.

Let us put it bluntly, the west use moslem women as a weapon to attack Islamic religion when every other avenue their argument is proven to be baseless, faithless, and most of all logically senseless. It's about time they learn we don't take our lectures from a walking toilet, but almighty god whose revelations we hold dear and whatever they say will tell our moslem women how blessed they are to be moslems.