Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Troll Corner

u're obviously not the real McCoy then Aaliyah. O is for blokes. A and Ey is for females. LooL. Don't know Lily. I'll be waving a frigging flag at this rate. Why who else has been at it?

Aaliyyah   

Like I said it depends on the name....but ok lets agree to disagree icon_razz.gif

let me take few examples..

amal- amaley (makes more sense when u add ey)

where for example

sahra- you'r not gonna say sahrey..its better if u say sahroy..

halima- halimoy...halimey (sounds totally outa of it)

that's my opinion

salaam

Aaliyyah   

I already took few examples and i dnt even care abt somalis from north or south or whatever..But what sounds right on my tongue rather ..am not really following any dialect..

salaam

Juxa   

Lily, bisinka uqabtay lol. you should see my colleagues, the shock of seeing so much subag.

it's sounds right on your tongue for a reason, dear. You've been influenced by your environment as have I. Sahroy sounds like a pirate to me lol. I'd always say Sahra or Sahrey.

Aaliyyah   

it's sounds right on your tongue for a reason, dear. You've been influenced by your environment as have I. Sahroy sounds like a pirate to me lol. I'd always say Sahra or Sahrey.

LOl@ pirate...sahrey does not sound right sis. Like I said its abt the name nothing to do with dialect. Some names sound right with "ey" where others don't. my parents are from the north and speak northern dialect but of course I did not grow up in somalia and grew up with different somalis from different regions.

so who knows I might have developed my own unique somali LOL

salaam

Your background is no different to mine. However, our dialects MUST be different. I'm saying whether it sounds right or not, there is a preferred madness to the name-calling(driven by dialect). I think consistency takes precedence over ease-on-ear.

Where are the nutters who know more about this sort of thing? :D

NGONGE   

^^ I have a feeling this is a grammar issue. Would you call a Dahabo the same way you would call a Caasha?

Aaliyyah   

if you are from the north as u claim....how can our dialects be different? I always thought there was one northern dialect? unless there isn't?

anyways for the luv of god we have been discussing this for the past couple of minutes.Total waste of time ...let just move on icon_razz.gif

Ng thank you now we are on the same page. Every name has a way of saying...case closed!!

maanta ayaay naagta reer waqooyinimadeedi meel kaga dhacday...alllah hoyooy!!

kaftan bas lol

salaam

Ngonge, lol, a name is written down/chosen as Caasha or Caasho but when you call someone, it takes on some variations. I would call her Caasha or Caasho depending on what her chosen name was strictly speaking(Caasha/Caas ho)but also Caashey as that would be still be appropriate for a female name when addressing her(as someone of my dialect).

However, I still think the choice of Caasha or Caasho as a name choice is driven by dialect in the first place. The dialect changes the name to fit into its pattern.

How would you call to an Caasha if you wanted to catch her attention(verbally, please, not something dramatic and inappropraite lol )?

Aaliyah, I find this interesting. Move on if u're bored lol.