Sign in to follow this  
Allamagan

Somalis on Somalis

matlcokj701022006.P02.jpg

MAHIR OSMAN

- stabbed to death two days before his 19th birthday

matlcokj701022006.P03.jpg

Floral tributes left at the spot where Mahir Osman was fatally injured

GROWING violence between rival Somali gangs from Camden and Haringey is thought to be to blame for the tragic death of Mahir Osman two days before his 19th birthday.

Police hope to bring charges against some of the 24 men arrested on a route 253 double decker bus in Camden Road following the fatal stabbing outside Camden Town Tube station. A 25th man was arrested close by.

It is believed around four other men escaped arrest by smashing bus windows and fleeing the scene. Police commandeered a bus to transport those arrested to various police stations.

All the arrested men, who are of various ages and mostly from Haringey, have been released on bail.

It is possible the horrific killing is related to an incident in December when a 21-year-old was stabbed and hit over the head with a paving slab in violent clashes between Somali youths in the Green Lanes area. Now police fear further revenge attacks.

Camden Borough Commander Chief Superintendent Mark Heath said: "There's enough happened that the family of this victim are going though at the moment. We don't want other families to go through quite similar pain where young men undertake to commit further acts of violence.

"We've done a lot of work with the local authority with these communities and I'm confident that we'll see the matter brought to trial.

"I would ask that key members of the community work with us to ensure that young men do not act hastily because this will just bring further pain and the appropriate place for this to be dealt with is a court of law."

Police from Camden and Haringey are holding a meeting with leaders of the Somali community. Chief Superintendent Heath said he was also calling on support from mosques to prevent revenge attacks.

He added: "There are a large number of police resources engaged in this investigation. We are determined and confident we'll deliver appropriate charges."

Mr Osman's neighbours in Taplow tower block in Adelaide Road, Swiss Cottage, reacted with shock to the teenager's death.

Taplow Tenants' and Residents' Association chairman Stanley Dobinson said: "I think people will be very upset about it. We're a very mixed community here and we all get on well."

His neighbour Joseph Amichael, 33, said: "I'm in shock. It was my next door neighbour. His family seem like very down-to-earth people. You never think it would happen - but it could happen to anyone."

Eden Ttsion, 30, added: "I saw him around here with his dad. It's awful."

Floral tributes and birthday cards have been placed in memory of Mr Osman opposite Camden Town Tube Station.

One message said: "To Mahir, wishing you a happy birthday. So sorry that I can't share it with you but in heart and soul we can. Always look down on me because I will never forget you."

Another said: "Love you loads. Miss you, from your sis Amal."

Anyone who has any information about the stabbing is asked to call the incident room on 020 7321 7228 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Source

------

am

Yeniceri   

Very tragic story. Allaha u naxaristo marxuumka.

Originally posted by Allamagan:

GROWING violence between rival
Somali gangs
from Camden and Haringey

Wankstas in tight jeans pass for "gangs" only in Europe, I suppose. Gangs kulahaa. That's from an era long gone, coz nowadays, everyone believes in the same color - green ($$$).

"And er'body on da block got the same agenda/Hustle from the beginning of January til the end of December"

- Jeezy

Teenager's death shown to jurors

Images of an 18-year-old being attacked by a gang of 40 youths in a busy London high street have been shown to jurors.

The footage shows Mahir Osman being set upon by the gang who took less than a minute to kill him during the attack near Camden Tube station, north London.

The jury at the Old Bailey saw Mr Osman being punched, stamped on and stabbed 20 times on a Saturday night in January last year.

Eight defendants, including five youths, deny murder.

Faisal Wangita, 25, Ismail Mohamed, 18 and Liban Elmi, 20, all from north London, and five youths aged 16 to 17 who cannot be named because of their age, also deny three other charges of conspiracy to carry offensive weapons, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and violent disorder.

Brian Finucane QC, prosecuting, said: "It is all over literally in seconds. He was set upon by a gang of up to 40 Somali youths. It lasted less than a minute."

He added: "I warn you, you are going to see footage of this young boy being murdered."

The court watched in silence as youths carrying wooden bats, bottles, hammers and knives assaulted Mr Osman.

He was left rolling about in the road as his attackers ran off and tried to get away on a number 253 bus before it was stopped by police, said Mr Finucane.

Some of the youths evaded arrest by climbing out of the bus's emergency exit at the back. An arsenal of weapons had been found in and around the vehicle, the court was told.

The attack had been the culmination of escalating violence involving two Somali gangs from Camden and the Tottenham-Edmonton area.

The trial was adjourned until tomorrow. Source

Nehanda   

Of all the communities I’ve come across Somali is the most ineffective and selfish one. The so-called community charity leaders are naught but a band of vagabonds with the sole pursuit of filling their pockets illicitly.

There are numerous Somali young men in British jails and I have yet to come across a Somali community providing any outreach service. Other communities have dedicated helpline for their prisoners, appointed visitors to ensure that prisoners are not mistreated and counsellors for the affected families.

What do we Somalis offer? Why are we shocked each time we hear that a young boy is murdered? The situation will worsen unless Somalis themselves recognise these problems and intervene.

These young adults are crying out for help, they have been uprooted and thrust into an alien country where they are expected to adept so effortlessly.

We do not have to rely on community leaders to help our people. Every able and learnt individual can support his community be it free tutoring, sports activities, counselling, mentoring or any other useful support that would channel young people energy towards positive directions.

Be proactive and do something for your people today rather than reacting to situation such as the above.

FatB   

^^ instead of complaining why dont you get a group of people together and tackle this problem...

there are a lot of londoners here in SOL, wouldnt it be good of u all got together and formed a sociaty that tackled these social illness....

mantra   

Originally posted by Nubia:

These young adults are crying out for help, they have been uprooted and thrust into an alien country where they are expected to adept so effortlessly.

Sounds a bit like you're trying to justify the actions of these shaydaamin, may they rot in jail. Their actions have little to do with lack of adapting to British society, most of them were probably born here and consider Somalia to be an alien country..

As for having an effective organization dealing with issues affecting Somali's... yeah right is all i can say.

This is sad. To think so many families left Somalia to avoid violence only to have to deal with other forms of violence in their countries of refuge.

I really do hope much more is done to tackle these youth issues.

Aaliyyah   

So many young somalis are just getting outa of control, and their number is increasing year after year....so whats the problem? whats causing these kids to be engaged in such distructive actions ...Why are they joining gangs?? are they looking for a sense of belonging somewhere? do they feel left out ?? a society starting point is within the family, parents need to find a better way of parenting . I put the blame 3/4 if not all on the way parents take their responsibility. Back home for instance from what I know parents use to spend a lil time with their kids, most of the time they would spend with their peers ( ayeeyday say tidhi ilmihi shan marku gaadhoba adhiga lo diraya/ama dukaan u qabaya haduu magaalo joogo cid la kolkoliyo ama wax loo sheego ma jiro ...every man on his own ).

But that only works back home since a parent wont be afraid of their children adapting to another culture, or losing their sense of identity. However, somalis had moved from back home and settled in a foreign countries where not only people have different culture bt different relegions as well,for example in canada of the total population only about 2.5 % are muslims. Now knowing this a parent should strive hard to make sure his children not only maintain their culture bt to be better muslims, there is so many obstacles out there that are going to make kids or young youth to deviate and lose their releigon in the process. So what do parens have to do ???? you can not just come to a foreign country, send your kids as young as a year to a daycare, hardley spend time w/ them other den dump them as sum quran classes ( which u barely explain yrself as to why they should attend), it is like some kinda norm where they have to attend quran classes til when they are like 15. I would see young kids wearing hijab attending quran classes, their older siblings clubbing, parents out there working or just busy with their own things. So I conclude that I think if parents set some time to spend with their kids, preach them , show them whats right while not enforcing on them, bt making them understand why, why one should do this or one shouldnt do that, somali youth would have turn out better. That is all I gota say now, and allah knows whats best.

wa salaaamu alaikum

Khalaf   

^good points aaliyah....dis looks black on black crime. What missing with the blacks? lack of male leadership...

Mida kale lets not over blow dis...collectively as a group we done well...my pakistani brotha said mashallah man Somalis are strong muslims better then us..... referring to the cab drivers in MN! Also in Toronto, MN wit big somali communities we have introduced islam and are good ppl....marka big ups to us as a community.

Taliban   

UK 'bad' for kids

The UK has been rated as the worst industrialised country in which to raise children.

The Unicef report, which evaluated child welfare in 21 of the world's richest countries, found that the UK is lagging behind its western counterparts in issues such as health, happiness and child poverty.

Entitled Report Card 7, Child Poverty in Perspective: An Overview of Child Wellbeing in Rich Countries, the report looked at 40 different indicators important in raising children.

Education in the UK rated well in the evaluation but Britain's children were found to have poor relationships with their parents. UK children also rated badly in terms of risk taking, health and safety and deprivation.

"All countries have weaknesses that need to be addressed and no country features in the top third of the rankings for all six dimensions," said Unicef UK's executive director, David Bull.

"By comparing the performance of countries we see what is possible with a commitment to supporting every child to fulfil his or her full potential."

Child welfare groups have not been so cautious in commenting about the findings, with many accusing the government of failing its children.

The Children's Society said that the report is a wake-up call to the fact that we are failing our children. Save The Children said that the government will need to take "drastic action" to meet its 2010 child poverty targets.

Responding to the report, welfare reform minister Jim Murphy said the report was "out dated" and claimed that its track record on child welfare has improved since the evaluation was made.

But the minister added: "Hopefully it [the report] leads to a wider conversation about what more we can do to eradicate poverty."

North Europe dominated the league table, with Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Finland taking the first four places. Austria, Hungary and the United States held the bottom of the table along with the UK.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/news/health/uk-bad-kids-$1052267.htm

RedSea   

"Somalis on Somalis".

Alamagon, sounds familiar?

You are huge supporter of the TFG which brought Xabashis to kill other Somalis. Coincidence, I think so...Somalis on Somalis along with Xabashis.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Nubia:

There are numerous Somali young men in British jails and I have yet to come across a Somali community providing any outreach service. Other communities have dedicated helpline for their prisoners, appointed visitors to ensure that prisoners are not mistreated and counsellors for the affected families.

You should be complaining about their parents first, before you talk about the community. If their parents don't care about what their children are doing, why should the communiuty care?