Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Why do Somali entertainers steal our money without perfoming?

Wherever I have been the cost of entrance has been exorbitant. The quality of show not good enough for the price paid, the faraxs and xalimos who arrive there don’t even know what a queue is, the harassment by the "gorillas" at the gates leaves a lot to be desired and the environment in which the clients are put under is absolutely stressful least of all it being a place of entertainment. I know it’s a cool thing to support your own but believe you me these entertains now take advantage of the poor qoxootis who try to support them. I have not seen any entertainer who says tonight is a night of getting together lets just have fun as a community.

Very few do anything charitable....

Why support then and what good are they?

so far i been to 2! one was a blast!!! xalimos were there like dey going out of style!!

2nd one was a nitemare! i got into a fight, some dude grabbed one xalimoz purse! 2 gal fighting into corner, police sirens, lil boyz smoke jac jacley what freaking nitemare, and the damn singers never showed up!! least to say, my money went up in smoke!

NOWADAYS, I WONT GO AND SEE THEM IF THEY MAKE me #1 VIP!

THEY SUCK BIG TIME!!! MOST OF THE DEM!

I haven’t been to one for ages now after seeing how fellow Somalis treat others....however, once upon time in South hall very far away from home....there was a singer by the name of Xassan Adan Samatar....who happens to be one of the best entertainer in the biz...we went as a group to go and enjoy ourselves out there. On arrival, the streets where full of Faraxs and xalimos some dressed well and some who were just looking for hypothermia but nice to the eye. There was avery long queue and so like any civilized beings we towed the line and waited for our turn. As we waited we realised both xalimos and faraxs who arrived on the scene after almost half hour going ahead and jumping the queue..hmmm being the gents where, we swallowed hard n took it as the cold bite through our attires. Anyway eventually we managed to get through but after along and a lot pushing at the door way by both crazy high Teenagers and gatekeepers. We went in and it was ablast. The only disadvantage was that they packed in as many people as they could get making even movement or swinging along very difficult. By the way Somalis never know the word sorry even if they knock you down. As me and ma buddies enjoying the music one drunken 17yr old landed on me like a bullet out of agun. I was taken by surprise and she told me "GET THE F OUT OF MA WAY" damn I remember I can’t help but laugh. There I was scared for ma life. I just watched her wobble off.

To cut the story short, We enjoyed the evening but on coming out...The number of police of cars was unbelievable...hmm being new to that neighborhood, little did I know trouble was brewing...so we found ourselves in the middle of a strange fight.... Suddenly huge dogs that I hadn’t seen except on TV were let lose and boy did we take off like a shot....the good thing was the dogs where more disciplined than the people they chasing...one of my mates landed n got bruised he cursed all the way home. Ultimately the whole thing was hilarious and for us that was the end of us going to them places...feeeri feeriii dangerous

Macalin   

Coz they are not PROFFESIONAL PERFORMERS!

They Do NOt HAVE TOP NOTCH TRAINED ORGANIZERS...if parties were not HARAM, I WOULD HAVE HELPED THE POOR MUSICIANS....but hey they wouldnt afford me..would they? :D

Observer   

I agree with lakkad most are not professional + the organizers often lack a great deal of cohesiveness. Also, people are so desperete to get to gether and bring a notalgic memory of back home.

here we go again...another story on how to put others down...listen folks there are top notch artists out there who respect this art...to be honest i love seein' shego band perform...i've been to many of there shows and i really enjoyed it...as far as my opionion now i see it that Somali ppl don't have enough respect for it's artists...and that's a shame....

Saalixa   

shaqisi

miskiin, bro i feel sorry but i can't do anything

however i could tell u, whenever you have some spare time just relax, make ur self a worm cup of tea, and go to sleep. Its the best thing beleive me, it really helps and you wake up all fresh as a breeze, ready for work, uni, school or whatever.

at least your not half asleap the next they regretting it all, and not forgiving urself.

Well Rayana sis thanks for the advice but Im fine and I dont carry any baggages as you may think **Regrets**.....Just thought I would hightlight the problems faced by many a Somali. I believe its something that has to be addressed for entertainment shouldnt only be for the youth but also the moms and dads who would sometimes want to come sit down n just enjoy an evening out rather than get hustled all the time.

Shaqsii,

My dear, I have come to the conclusion that the organisers and singers of those events JUST DONT GIVE A TOSS about anybody but themselves. They make huge amounts of money from ruwaayadaha, laakiin do they give a shit whether their customers are abused or not? Nope they dont. I have even been told that the organisers, themselves request the security to be extra rough... to 'keep the Somalis in line'. And true...why should they care? They get what they came for, the money.

And Somalida? Its important for them to go to a 'Somali' event, however traumatic it may end up being. Which is very sad, because we should get a good deal for the exorbitant prices we are charged. But we are not willing to complain or demand changes or even boycott these events? No. So there's really no reason for the organisers to change the way they do things, is there?

I went to a Hibo Nuura, who happens to be one of my most favourite Somali singers, concert earlier this summer and you couldn't imagine how much I was looking forward to seeing her perform and how disappointed I was afterwards.

For one, there were several other singers performing with her, so I didnt expect any non-Somali music to be played there. The thingy started at 10pm and RnB/Hip-Hop was played until the wee hours of the morning because the singers (all of them would you believe it?) didnt bother showing up until after 1am. Then Hibo Nuura performed two songs and after that, I had to listen to fanaaniinta aroos walaba ka heesta aan kun iyo afar boqoloo jeer hore u daawaday. And the star who's night it was? The woman I went there to see dib danbaba loo ma arkin. I was :eek: and then :mad: only to end up :( for the rest of the night.

That was the last ruwaayad ever for me. I may be a Somali music freak, but there's only so much crap I'm willing to take...

And just to make sure that I was never tempted again, I made my mother, sisters and friends swear on the Qur'an, that they would slap me silly should I ever mention going to one of those thingies, ever gain! redface.gif

Haygu soo hadal qaadina..ciilka weli dadkaa iga haya ayeydaan garaneyn.

So what I'm reading is:

You PAID money to enter the spot and then you COMPLAIN?

Talk about a critic. Apparently you've done it quite a few times. ME? I never go there for the performers cause I got no idea what song they singing. I'm looking to chill with the homies and "the" shorty of the night.

WesT CoasT bLue'D uP

Bee Now we need people like you who shouldnt take these peoples shiid anymore. We love our entertainers and love to listen to their songs both on stage and via audio/videos. However, when it gets to a stage where you pay alot more money than any other entertainment, get abused by being shoved all over the place, made to look cheap and ultimately not see what you went there for, then you know its time to totally blow these organisers and their so called lame ducks to hell. Most of the Somalis who go to these places are decent people and should be treated with uttermost respect for they dont go there to beg but pay to get some entertainment back. Yes we do have trouble makers and yes they should get rid of them but to spread it all over the rest of us and treat us like criminals I say nooooo. We as the "Riwayada goers" need be respected by these silly one dime Faraxs/Xalimos and their stooges. I tell you what if they boycotted these places, where in hell would they get the money? You pay you get the right service everywhere why not Somali entertainers.

Believe me if Micheal Jackson was in town you wouldnt pay as much and even if you did, you wouldnt be treated like a "dog"

Gediid   

Last year I happen to go to an Ethiopian concert with a couple of my Somali buddies and Ethio friends and to my surprise the show was off da hook.Walaahi the backup singers sang their hearts out and the big fanaan arrived sang what most have been for hours straight.Everything was orderly ,people very well behaved and courteous.It was just perfect.Even the girls taad tidhaa ila ciyaar before you know it She is doing the shoulder shake down.

Somalis well except Samater who I rate as the #1 showman and Maryan Mursal whose show I saw in Ohio the rest all SUCK.We are better off just listening to their tapes and not attending their shows at all,like a boycott till they recognise we are PAYING them and not the other way round.

As for the audience they should show decency and civilty cuz they are just pathetic in their attitude right now,I'm sure they exercise that when they go to other concerts other than Somali ones.

Salaan...

Shaqsi, Kaaba of Museeyaasha, ii waran? Xaalad boqolkiiba boqol kheyr ii dheh.

Ruwaayadahaan, I was never fond of them until recently. I started to go and see what was the big deal with friends. Everytime I go--including tonight, I came back from it now--it is same old "^**&%#$%^&@" One proposal I would like to recommend, as Barwaaqo wants too, is to ban the hip-hop/rap/any foreign music from its premises.

Tired of the ill-mannered ciyaal kuni kuni markii loo shido their kind of music dagaal bilaabaayo time after time, again and again. Most of them don't pay; some of them are "high;" some don't respect no body, and they don't even know what is going on around them. And most come because that "rap/hip/hop" factor.

Ban their kind of music and ban themselves too--anyone under the age of 22 {with certain exception, of course ;) because some under that age are well-mannered and courteous}.

Macsalaama.

N.O.R.F   

I remember one infamous night in Stonebridge, it was eid night on a weekend (about 6 yrs ago), cant remember who was performing. We all travelled down from the Sheff parked out right infront of the doors, jumped the queue (as u do when its freezing). The place was just crazy, kids fighting, pick pockets, no space to move whatsoever so the inevitable happens. Music stops, security tells everyone to leave, we left sharpish and moved the cars, next thing u know gun shots, broken glass/cars,police, ppl running, just sheer madness :eek: . So what do we do? move on to the after party :D

I have learned my lesson, not being a gr8 admirer of somali music until recently, ruwaayeds were never my cup of tea, but u did get the odd enjoyable night out with somalis (key word being odd).