Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Birth control pills Plaques

Ibtisam   

This is the third such study I have come across in the space of two weeks! :eek: Careful ladies. :cool:

Study links birth control pill to artery-clogging plaque

Birth control pills have been linked for the first time to plaques that could potentially endanger the heart, doctors here said Tuesday.

A study of 1,301 women ages 33 to 55 suggests that the likelihood of finding plaques in key arteries increased by 20% to 30% for every 10 years of pill use, Ernst Rietzschel, of Ghent University in Belgium, told an American Heart Association meeting here.

The study also links the pill to potentially artery-clogging plaque in women who no longer use oral contraception, he says, noting that 81% of women in the study took the pill, on average, for 13 years. Doctors cautioned that the study is small and should be confirmed by more research.

Despite the widespread use of the pill, researchers have never linked it with heart attacks or strokes, though it's well known to increase blood pressure and raise a woman's risk of getting blood clots. Many of the women in the study used pills with higher doses of estrogen than are used today. "We don't know whether effects will be the same for women taking the pill today," Rietzschel says, adding, "There's no reason to stop taking the pill abruptly; the study needs to be replicated."

"I think it's a wake-up call," says Jennifer Mieres, of New York University School of Medicine. "If you're going to take birth control pills, you need to be aggressive about reducing your other risk factors: smoking, high blood pressure, cholesterol, diet and lifestyle."

The finding turned up by chance, when doctors studying residents in two Belgian towns found that women who used the pills had triple the expected levels of an enzyme linked with cardiovascular inflammation.

Researchers used ultrasound to test the carotid arteries on each side of the neck and femoral arteries in each leg. A woman's odds of having plaque in one carotid artery went up by 17% and in both carotids by 42% for every 10 years of pill use. The odds of having plaque in a single femoral artery went up by 28% and in both by 34%.

"I'm struck by this, because I'm telling patients that there's no evidence of any increased risk for a woman now because she once used birth control pills," says Sharon Hayes, of the Mayo Clinic. "The fact that these investigators have found it warrants further study."

Source:

Why would anyone be on the pill for 10yrs?

Pop three (adorable) kids in 6yrs and then tie the tubes (get a tuck and nip while you're at it). Thats my strategy.

Kool_Kat   

^Saw what you wrote before you deleted it... :D

Why 10yrs? I don't get it...A year or two here and there I can understand, but 10yrs...That is just rediculas...Wah...Hadaanbo caruur saas loo rabin, like Serenity said, tie the tubes...Too long on any medication is a big NO NO for me...

Malika   

Alxamdulillah for our Deen and Daqaan,One doesnt have to be popping pills from the age of 12,as they do in other communities.

Blessed   

LOL@ 'nip and tuck, while your at it' caadi matihid, Miss Serenity.

I like the 3/6 formula.

The pill gets a lot of bad press, I think it's worth an indepth research, if it's your choice contraceptive method.

Ibtisam   

^^^^What is the 3/6 formula? :confused:

Serenity & KK, tie the tubes you say, there is no way back from that if you change your mind. As for why so long on the pill, times are changing dee, and I assume most people want their marriage to last more than 10yrs if it is their chosen contraceptive, they need to be aware of the risks.

Buuxo, what kind (so many these days), I know few studies, interested :D Hayaa maaxaad laa naaxdee she never said anything! smile.gif

Although tying the fallopian tubes is reversible, the chances of conception after the reversal are minimum.

I'm of the opinion that once you've had the number of kids you want, one should say Alxamdulilah and stick to raising them. Haday dhintaan, then Ilaahayba u qorey and it shouldnt make one want to have more kids.

The thing is, the chances of a child being born with a congenital disorder increases in late 30ties and into the 40ties. If one can help at all, they should limit their child-bearing between 20-35yrs. Also with age, comes the inability for ones body to recover from childbirth.

Its really all about weighing the pros and cons for you. But being on the pill for a long period of time is not entirely reliable and it plays havoc with your body and hormones.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Pop three (adorable) kids in 6yrs and then tie the tubes (get a tuck and nip while you're at it). Thats my strategy.

Seems like a good idea, but what if you loose your "three adorable" kids, say..in a car accident or fire? What then my dear Serenity, ma timahaad is jiidi :D ? This reminded me of a woman and her family fleeing the Somali civil war in the early 90's, who upon traveling on an overloaded boat that capsized in the middle of the indian ocean, had her husband along with four of her six kids drowned. Subhaanalaah. Nonetheless, Allah, the most merciful blessed her with a pious husband; remarried and had another three more beauties. Masha Allah! Her Sabir and Iman paid off at the end.

So it's a nay for me abbaay, they won't tie my tubes...lousy good for nothing doctors.

Pujah   

^^ It’s the safest especially considering he can take on another wife without letting you know then you are stuck with the emotional and possible STD’s turmoil :cool:

RedSea   

waar ileen dameer dhaan raacday ayaan maqli jiray. I saw it on Opra and most of western women are doing it, heck me being a Muslim might as well consider it. rolle eyes.