Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Why are Somalis so Political?

Fabregas   

During the nine-year period of parliamentary democracy that followed Somali independence, freedom of expression was widely regarded as being derived from the traditional right of every man to be heard. The national ideal professed by Somalis was one of political and legal equality in which historical Somali values and acquired Western practices appeared to coincide. Politics was viewed as a realm not limited to one profession, clan, or class, but open to all male members of society. The role of women, however, was more limited. Women had voted in Italian Somaliland since the municipal elections in 1958. In May 1963, by an assembly margin of 52 to 42, suffrage was extended to women in former British Somaliland as well. Politics was at once the Somalis' most practiced art and favorite sport. During the nine-year period of parliamentary democracy that followed Somali independence, freedom of expression was widely regarded as being derived from the traditional right of every man to be heard. The national ideal professed by Somalis was one of political and legal equality in which historical Somali values and acquired Western practices appeared to coincide. Politics was viewed as a realm not limited to one profession, clan, or class, but open to all male members of society. The role of women, however, was more limited. Women had voted in Italian Somaliland since the municipal elections in 1958. In May 1963, by an assembly margin of 52 to 42, suffrage was extended to women in former British Somaliland as well. Politics was at once the Somalis' most practiced art and favorite sport. The most desired possession of most nomads was a radio, which was used to keep informed on political news. The level of political participation often surpassed that in many Western democracies. The level of political participation often surpassed that in many Western democracies

Peacenow   

The think is really about the phsyce of the people. There are no other people who more 'hard-headed' then Somalis. It's difficult to get through and manage that.

A German will stand beside a traffic light and not cross the road until the sign comes on, even if the traffic was light. I have seen it with my own eyes. Imagine that in Somalia.

even the typical Africa can be managed and are soft headed. The differences are stark. It's why the country is as it is.

They need extreme shock threaphy to tell them. The world is a commmunity now and there things you just can't do. Now having said that- that same world community will reward you handsomely, if you follow the rules and live by it.

Originally posted by peacenow:

The think is really about the phsyce of the people. There are no other people who more 'hard-headed' then Somalis. It's difficult to get through and manage that.

A German will stand beside a traffic light and not cross the road until the sign comes on, even if the traffic was light. I have seen it with my own eyes. Imagine that in Somalia.

even the typical Africa can be managed and are soft headed. The differences are stark. It's why the country is as it is.

They need extreme shock threaphy to tell them. The world is a commmunity now and there things you just can't do. That, that same world community will reward you handsomely, if you follow the rules and live by it.

Did a Somali do something to you? You just seem far too bitter, my non-Somali mate.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by G G:

quote:Originally posted by peacenow:

They need extreme shock threaphy to tell them. The world is a commmunity now and there things you just can't do. That, that same world community will reward you handsomely, if you follow the rules and live by it.

Did a Somali do something to you? You just seem far too bitter, my non-Somali mate.
How is secular France today?

Why do you wish to bring another discussion here? Doesn't make any sense. France, islam and secularism is neatly under the 'islamists beat somali women in oslo' thread. It won't go anywhere.

FatB   

i would have thought 17 years of lawlesness and recently the displacement of 1000000 people would have been enough of a shock.

i must agree with PN here, somalies face a long hard road thats probably going to get harder....

A.J.   

Most somali's want their relative countries to regain stability, peace and prosperity. this is why so many of us are interest and keep an eye on the politics and happens back home

peasant   

Must be evolutionary trait. Nomad must seek the news of green pasture and must know if his foes are gonna attack and raid his livestock which pretty much boils to peace and prosperity. Politics on the other hand deals with the same issues just slightly more complex but the fundamentals are the same and if i am not mistaking the major concern of politics is peace and prosperity for a society.

Fabregas   

Richard Burton said that SOMALi nomads in the interior heard about news about the Crimean war and other events in Europe, which he wasn't even aware of. Also when a person come to visit another nomad, he'd sit down and share "warka".

-Lily-   

Maybe because it will have a huge impact on their lives? Without a government, you would be obsessing about how to get one & life back in the process too. It's not like they are passionate about politics in general but Somali politcis.

Blessed   

Is it a bad thing?

First world governments actually fund campaigns which encourage more political engagement from the masses.

Baashi   

Politics is what makes world round. Politicians have tremendous power over our lives. You do wanna know what is going on. Who is taking what side and why. One proble my people have in this regard is the herd effect -- group think if you will. You are from Kismaayo and whatever you say will find a receptive ear within reer kismayo. Terribel!.

On the other hand no one will accuse Somalis of being ignorant about the issues that affcet their lives. Voter ignorance is a terrible clamity that put the levers of power on the hands of few.

Imagine a world where few fat cats ponder upon whether you get health care, pay 30% of your taxes, serve 12 years of prison in violating some law that doesn't make any sense, and what not. Politics are very important awoowayaaal.

I know it is a fashionable thang to diss politics in this forum. Still...