Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

MARC SMITH*** Dear Somali Gangs*** VIDEO EXCLUSIVE

MS Productions presents:

A Marcassmith film

Delivered exclusively by MARX Mohamed for SOL!

Hi Guys,

Hope all is well.

Check Marcassmith latest video exclusive.

‘Dear Somali Gangs’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-_uJb-d4s

Synopsis:

The high increase in gang membership among young Somali men has induced a lot of problems. This is largely due to the social marginalisation faced by the Somali community. Factors such as racism, lack of opportunities, criminality and police brutality has culminated in massive increase in gang memberships and make young Somali men highly susceptible to committing criminal activities, violence and gang-related incidences.

Gang-warfare has resulted in ‘no-go areas’ where each gang protects their turf against another rival Somali gangs. This has often resulted in the indiscriminate deaths of young Somali men. Additionally gang-warfare has further increased the number of young Somali men in prison. In places like Feltham and Belmarsh Somali prisoners constitute unproportional rates.

The video advocates that young Somali men should renounce their gang memberships and instead focus on making better lives for themselves without resorting to violence to get what they want. Moreover the video makes comparisons between the situation the Somali community find themselves in the West (experiencing fear and violence) and fleeing Somalia for fear of violence.

This video is dedicated to NINBROWN for his work against Somali gangs. Thank you sxb!

N.O.R.F   

Its very sad and I hope we address this major issue today. Not sure about not being able to go to other areas though.

Fabregas   

Gang Members are unlikely to devote their time listening to some post on Youtube by some unknown dude, oo boqorada ingriskeda ku hadlaya. Remember you have to appeal to your target audience and relate to them!

Ibtisam   

I agree with B_Geel Jire. There needs to be direct dialog with them. this they are never going to see (nor have I) I see so many talks and lectures about young gang members, and the attendees are normal law abiding citizens. Clearly they are not going to change those who need to change and reform.

In north London, they have a good initiative going with the prison. Where Somali youth workers go and speak to young offenders and try and establish a relationship with them so they are better placed to help them rejoin society.

KK - I agree with you on the issue of parents taking responsibility for their children, lakiin there appears to be a generational gap between young people and their parents. There is no communication and parents don’t make any attempts to learn English and integrate. This is a serious issue and Somali parents need to take a more active role in the lives of their children. Having said that, some parents have raised their children impeccably but their social environment is an obstacle.

IBZ and Brof.GJ

I agree these talks and events are a complete waste of time. They achieve no outcome and do very little, if anything for their intended audiences. !

The biggest problem in my opinion are these bogus community leaders. One of my colleagues wanted to organize an event dealing with gangs, gun, and knife crime and proposed that we should collect the money and pocket it ourselves. He was sacked on the spot of course! Real Impact Community doesnt tolerate such behavior.

-Lily-   

Ibti they do? How come I dont know about these sort of things.

Marx, good on you guys. The community leaders are a waste of time but I guess you'll have to work around them.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by -MARX-:

KK - I agree with you on the issue of parents taking responsibility for their children, lakiin there appears to be a generational gap between young people and their parents. There is no communication and parents don’t make any attempts to learn English and integrate. This is a serious issue and Somali parents need to take a more active role in the lives of their children. Having said that, some parents have raised their children impeccably but their social environment is an obstacle.

IBZ and Brof.GJ

I agree these talks and events are a complete waste of time. They achieve no outcome and do very little, if anything for their intended audiences. !

The biggest problem in my opinion are these bogus community leaders. One of my colleagues wanted to organize an event dealing with gangs, gun, and knife crime and proposed that we should collect the money and pocket it ourselves. He was sacked on the spot of course! Real Impact Community doesnt tolerate such behavior.

Marx, I actually meant you video was quite boring, especially considering the title and the audience it was supposed to be catered to. Most people go on Youtube to be entertained, they are also picky with what they watch. Either they specifically search what they want or they end on a video via another video. If I as a university student, got bored of your video, imagine the the yongsters? Maybe you need to spice up your video, most people don't go on youtube to watch a guy sitting down on a chair speaking for five or more minutes( at least not youngsters). Here are some suggestions brother,

Get other people in videos, ie former prisoners or Somalis that transformed their lives,

Get pictures, ie knife wounds and gun shots.

Interview SOmali victims or relatives of Knife/Gun crime,

And perhaps use some editing effects.

And keep up the good work, saxiib.

NinBrown   

There is much god work out there suddly its not enough.

One of the biggest reasons young people turn to delinquency and gangs is lack of posative role models along with educational underachievement and unemployment.

The biggest obsticle in London to helping the youngeters is the lack of posative somali role models. Majority of people who are succesful dont want to know...try organising and event or finding an ideal mentor for some of the youngesters and all of them disapear. WHY?

Why do succesful Somali dhalinyaro find it hard to engage with the youngesters?

N.O.R.F   

Its not very easy trying engage youngsters who need engaging (gang members, school drop outs etc) and many who try simply get it wrong by assuming that you can approach them on the street and tell them you’re there to help them etc etc. This is why many give up or avoid it all together.

Its a lot easier to engage them and get a little respect from them through activities (it was football for me) then a quiet word here and there to get them thinking about turning a new leaf. Events for teenagers are fine as well but their effect is limited.

Getting them to become selfish (in a good way) is the key.

Brof.GJ

I agree with your critcism sxb. I need to spice my vids but I cant afford to compromise my journalistic integrity to connect with a few suffers of SCS. Despite your criticms, people are still watching the video.

Fabregas   

Marx, I was referring to this particular video, which is seemingly targeted at a particular group of people, not your other videos:

quote:The video advocates that young Somali men should renounce their gang memberships and instead focus on making better lives for themselves without resorting to violence to get what they want.

Qorax   

Horta waxaa quman in la eego ilmahan waalidkood markaas ayaad arkeysaa halka ciladu kak jirto. Koleey annigu illmahan inta aan arkayey 80% waxaay ka yimaadeen guryo dunsan, hooyo single mother ah waalana oo filimaan kale u daaran yihiin, indho la iyo aabe qawaafsan oo marfish joog fadhi kudirir kasra jooga faataale ah. Marka ilmaha guriga halowsan ayeey kusoo koreen welina joogaan. Allaha u gargaaro dhalankayaga.