Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Hospitals

Why is it that if a Somali person goes to the hospital for any reason (mild respiratory issue to serious illness)...50,000 Somali people (whether or not you know them) come and visit? I know the hadith about visiting the sick and I think it's great but there are no manners! They are oftentimes loud (disturbing the other patients sharing the room), they bring their 84 children and let them run loud and loose in the ward (the hospital is a nasty place, I wouldn't bring my cat never mind a baby!).

Ugh.

So embarrassed!

**don't worry if I don't make sense...I'm writing this after a twelve hours shift...why the hell am I on the computer anyway?!!!!**

Juxa   

another bad habit is worrying the sick person even further. the visitors keep narrating horror stories about the hospitals, medications etc

i think visitors should be given a manual with bedside manners and positive thinking

Ibtisam   

I think this better than those paitents whose kidsnever come to see them and is kuquuduma or near starving to death because nurses dont have time to feed them. As someone who spends a lot of time in hospitals both work and otherwise, I think this is the sad and embarrassing (not to mention contributing to their illness and depression, not someone who is surrounded by people, laughter (or even horror stories)and company. Never would I let any family member to sit in a hospital bed alone for more than 30mins, even at night someone stays behind. At work, all the lonely ones aniga aya uu sheekeya, they adopt me and bring me presents and cards when they leave every holiday/ eid etc. :D

^bukaanka SOL ma ugu shekeysaa iyo waxa ka dhaca iyo kuwa waal-waalane ee jooga? :D

Ta kale visitorska ubaxyo inay soo qaatan in la baro weeye, bukaanka raashinka aynan ka cunin inaay dhaafaan oo gurigooda raashin u doontaan aya fiican :D:D

Oz   

I really dont see the wrong doings by my own kind here, Somali folks are doing thier very best to adapt to this society and if the society can't adapt to our own misfits then it's their problem. Hindus, jamaicans, and the rest of the black communty behave the same manner too.

Now, what should be done?

I guess sessions should be opened in the community how to tackle this behavior which might disturb others but not our own kind. You guys who see it as inappropriate should volunteer and teach how they would behave when planning to visit the sick in the near future.

Things that should be considered are:

• Visiting hours should be taken seriously.

• bringing food to the sick which he/she can't eat.

• turning the volume extremely high. (thinking we'r the only living specie on the planet).

Who are we kidding here, brushes dirt off his shoulders God bless Somali people for they are a specie of it's own kind, trully phenomenon.

Ps: Poster next time you wanna post a thread, make sure you are well aware of yourself. God knows what could happen to you when posting this thread.

FatB   

the more the marrier... imagin being all alone or only having one visitor who stays for 30mns and runs off! depressing

Al-hamdulillah horta,waxaanse umalaynayaa those of you who think such habits are inappropriate never got sick and never being in a hospital for long,,when you do ,you are really going to appreciate those those comes over to see you,and this is when you know who Genuinely cares!

Blessed   

^Agree totally. I hate hospitals and visitors only help me forget that I'm in prison.

Somalis are so generous too, making you popular with other patients and nurses when you share your goodies.. ahaha.

Juxa   

beer gaal, you are right, it is nice to be visited but it is also nice for visitors to be considerate of the sick person and others sharing the ward.

^ ^ Only if they keep their mouths shut ,,,,,,,

I've seen some of them visiting a patient then telling stories of people died on this bed, or in the next ward or some who had the same symptoms then died after few days ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and u can see the sick person's face turning into red ,, :D

Juxa   

i went to see a relative who had a tumor removed in his head. there were alot of family and friends when the doctor explained that his frontal lobe was not affected and no cancerous cells.

due to the position of the tumor they had to cut a large section of his forehead.

come 5pm and some visitors started narrating what the doctor said, how the tumor was as big as small baaldi (bucket), how maskaxda uu taabtay etc.

the poor man was terrified and actually thought hadalkii dhaqtarka inaan sifiican loogu sharxin.

I think the issue is not the visiting but how considerate we are to other patients in the same ward. We just need to show a little bit more to other pateints and maybe say hi to them as well.

overall the nurses do like Somali ( or any other culture other than the White man's ) pateints because it means is there is always someone else to do the mundane works like tiolets, feeding etc.

I have nuff respect for nurses ( but some of them can be shites )