Sign in to follow this  
MonMon

Somalis and useless university degrees

Ms DD   

G

I know what Social science entails however as i said above, majority of its dicsiplines (except law, etc) it isnt financially rewarding. But those seeking for personal enrichment, it could be just the ticket. Needless to say, I think ..for a soceity to develop, we need social sciences. Social sociences are far more important to modern life than a media studies amongst others such as degrees in surfing/art/music/ Tourism/ Sports Science/fashion etc. There is certainly no intellectual or character-stretching skill involved in these soft options.

We have many degree courses which are neither academic or able to train people in specific skills/trades/vocations.

Too many graduates with meaningless degrees.

Too few apprentices for jobs that are crying out to be filled.

-Lily-   

Well, in the UK, you can study pretty much anything you like and still get a job in non-related fields. Bottom line is you have to train in something and gain skills. The only 'guaranteed' jobs at present are in health and scientific/engineering sector, but that might change again in a few years

I think it's unwise to study so you can 'be something back home', if you're graduating in 3-4 years, you'll need to study something you can get a job in the city you live in.

An interest doesn't pay the bills but not everyone has a boring mathematical & scientific mind icon_razz.gif

Ms DD   

Lily

Speaking of studying a subject for back home, I am very keen on Town & Regional Planning as I think we could really do with this. So the thought has crossed my mind.

Originally posted by Ms Dhucdhuc & Dheylo:

Lily

Speaking of studying a subject for back home, I am very keen on Town & Regional Planning as I think we could really do with this. So the thought has crossed my mind.

Canbaro,

how about Teaching in back home? and you would be a shining light in the land of ignorance, paid or unpaid - dont see any difference, voluntry for a couple of years would be nice.

Ms DD   

Do you think studying it at school would make any difference? When I was there, I have lost all hope. The corruption was rife and nothing gets done unless you bribe the relevant authorities.

Marbaa waxa nagala casumey guri, I have asked for the tiolet, and i accidently went into this room where there was boxes of cash. I have later found out that it was the taxes collected from the port. Ever heard taxes kept in the living room of some bloke? Waan fajacay wallee.

Yaab wlc sxb, what makes you Yaab? for me alot of stuffs made me Yaabka-Yaabkiis.

For the career don't let anyone to make decisions for you, for the industrail design we need it back home alot as well as africa where the world(western countries,developt asians) targeting now,other then that when someone says useless career i think he/she encounters the value it adds into your life as well as society life..i call some degree useless as XIIN listed except philosophy: as ppl become more sophisticated(human needs increasingly changing), problems arising, lifestyle changes-- philosophy comes at the stage.

Yaabka

ps i have done my degree in industrail design though i am now finishing masters in social-political entrepreneurship.

Yaabka.

Please, for those giving advices, let's do it from a purely Islamic perspective instead of focusing on potential earning, "insight" into Western cultures, "fun" ect.

We all know "Law" (Muslims abide by the Shariah laws as Defined by The Quran and embodied by the prophet SCW), Finance, PR (promoting firms) ect are more lucrative than Nursing and Engineering (or work as technician, surveyor ect).

However the former are at best questionable as careers in the West and mostly void of any ethical dimension (you merely maximise your firm and clients' profit) while the later are much needed everywhere and will always be so (even more with ageing populations, pollution, modern diet and lifestyle ect).

Having said that, it is always best to study subjects in terms of their relevance Islamically-wise: Deen and Arabic primarily, only then sciences & healthcare subjects.

Philosophy will confuse you without very solid Islamic knowledge and lead you towards applying your "critical thinking" skills where it's redundant, ie in religious matters, hence its prohibition by scholars (talking partly from personal experience).

Ahl-ul kalaam were always condemned for their reliance on their rather limited cognitive skills instead of purely following Quranic teachings embodied by the Prophet Sunnah scw.

As for Social sciences such as Economy, Sociology and History, not only are these subjects taught within a Western/secular framework but they are, by definition inseparable from Western societies which promote them (Economy & Finance rest on the Interest paradigm and void of the ethical dimension whereas History Degrees, as previously, said revolves around the British Isles, American Independance ect).

Of course, History is important as a subject, but Islamic History matters most to us with England kings or Wars being the last priority.

Economics is inseparable from one's basics assumptions about human nature and priorities.

In that light, focusing narrowly on "maximising one's satisfaction/ utility" within a secular framework (every move not clearly opposed by the law is considered) as economics curriculum do could hardly better any society.

At any rate, economists disagree on every foundation from how to measure the GDP to growth, employment and inflation, thus relying increasingly on mathematics, neuroscience (itself a controversial and ill-defined subject)ect.

Islamic economics and finance as practised by some Western/ Western-influenced institutions functions only a cosmetic veil as islam clearly prohibits interest whatever its branding and ethical concerns should be reflected in the very structure of the economy as well as society according to the Shariah, hence no need for a separate field needing mastery on its own in my humble opinion (unless what we want is only to "legalize" mortgages, credits cards, interests ect through clever tricks).

As for modern ethical dilemmas (environment, genetics, fair trade...) as well as the ways of organizing our societies (women's role, wether to ban "mild" intoxicants, marriage...) and rising productivity (good governance norms,technology transferts & investments regulations, optimizing productivity...), it is plainly obvious that this is a work for qualified health professionals, scientists and mathematicians working under the guidance and authority of Islamic experts or Ulamas to try and solve what is not already clearly adressed in the Qur'aan and Ahaadiths whereas the rest is solved once and for all.

Why should we buy anyway into this delusion whereby "human needs are evolving" as if our physiology follow the latest Hollywood or marketing trends or as if clean water, natural food and healthy environment were not and will not always be what we REALLY needs instaed of what corporations want us to need, more often than not at our own perils...

Nehanda   

Xiin what so useless about philosophy?! Please refrain from passing such cynical remarks and I'll have you known that great things were born out of philosophy!

Right on yaa Djib-Somali!

Nehanda :D , my passing comments were not in any way intended to gain SOL philosophers’ anger! But I am now tempted to take a harsh stab at this useless thing called Philosophy. What is it good at anyway adeer? What is it that you reckon its chief produce is? Eloquent speeches filled with grammatical riddles! Perhaps. Speculative guess works on issues beyond human grasp! Most certainly yes I would say. To be sure philosophers tend to formulate seemingly tangible arguments, adhere strictly to the rules of logic, and at times pretend to be in a superior realm of theirs. The answers they so desperately seek are either mysteriously elusive or have no significance on the human development however.

Revelations have effectively put Philosophers out of business, and Muslim students who spend money and their precious time studying yesteryears Greek fadhi-ku-dirirs are indeed missing the point.

^^Now that was a serious dig, and now its your turn to defend and tell us what ‘great things were born out of philosophy’.

ps--Mutakallim :D , where are you adeer?

Abwaan   

Yaab, I understand where you coming from and please dheg jalaq ha u siin ee just follow your dreams and do what you are happy with sida ay caano geel, Zenobia and others said.

I know in xitaa kuwa marfishlayaasha ee ah ee aan iskuullada aadin ay rabaan inay talo ka bixiyaan qof noloshiisa qorshaynaya oo go'aan gaaraya ayna dadka jahawareeriyaan.

Good luck sxb and if it is civil engineering you want to study I might be able to introduce you to brothers who are doing well after completion and working here in the west and elsewhere.

Blessed   

Dijb.Somali. You are right, if we assume that you enter into a degree as an empty vessel waiting to be filled.

Dhudhuc.

Media and Arts are used as tools of da’wah and create dialogue. You wouldn’t have Islamic channels and media if some Muslim didn’t go through the motions of studying those subjects.

NASSIR   

Add to the list to any computer related field. You will have millinos of Indians and Chinese Software engineers working for a $5 an hour. Other than this, these subjects basically evolve faster than any other field and it needs constant reeducation and update.

^I can highlight these sort of points over and over, but we need to realize as a Nation, that every field is important in our human lives. I find it really sad that educated folks would dicourage freshmen students from pursuing whatever that might interest them. There has to be something that a person can specialize and that perfects his or her productive efficiency in terms of becoming competent professionals.

You can still maintain your faith while perfecting your knowledge. Our religion advises against restricting the quest for knowledge based on fear that it might contradict our own religion.

To conclude my remarks, we are not yet sophisticated to understand the importance of many fields, esp in the realms of subjects which use applied Math as opposed to Pure Math.