Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

Being proud....

Hey people just wanted to share some thoughts with you all.......

I love being Somali.Especially when there's family over,weddings and Eids(I know Eid is for all of those that follow the right path of Islam,but I mean I our cunto,dhaqaan ect).

I've noticed that there are things displaced Somalis consider imbarassing or annoying about our people and culture,but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm not trying to discriminate against other cultures because everyone and everything is different and that's the beauty of this world.

I'm just sharing my love and being proud.

This post is just a shout out to all my fellow Somalis and landers cause I love you all regardless of qabiil.

People just share your good memories and experiences that have made you proud to be Somali.Even things that associate with your culture that you love.

Also any Djiboutians or Eriteans feel free to reply.The more posts the better.I'm intrigued to find out more about you guys...

I'll go first.I love the dirac,the way it's so comfortable,effortless and still so beautiful.I'm sure the sisters feel me on this one....

Caano geel iyo jaceyl....Your proud sister Q ;)

I love knowing that should I ever find myself stranded somewhere late at night, I'd feel safe accepting help from a Somali person, even if he/she is a stranger. I love that Somali people would do anything in their power to help out a fellow Somali without expecting anything in return.

I've seen this being done for those of clans the person usually hates. I like that all these tribal issues mean nothing to the individual when humanity is truly needed.

I like that you can go to any Somali house at 3am and someone will whip up dinner with pleasure.

Somali people have some truly great faults, but of all the people I have known or heard of, they are by far the most generous and no one understands the community spirit better than the Somali people.

(Quruxleey, your post greatly overwhelmed me with patriotic sentiments ...must...recover...cynicism..ah..)

That is so true walaal..When qabiil means nothing and helping your fellow Somali is all that counts.

I also love the way we are all supposedly related.There isn't a day that goes by when I have been introduced to a new relative by my hooyo..''Soo dhawoow hooyo...kalay eedoda soo salaam'' LooooooL.Even though they are my 5th cousin's neighbour's wife icon_razz.gif .My gaalo friends used to be in awe when I introduce a fellow brother/sister as my cousin..''So how are you all related''..bey kulaha....Now they know the drill.

I love our people...

BTW Have a loofli weekend efri baadi!!!!!! :D

lol   

Quruxleey, I am glad to see the spirit of patriotism in the air. Not many somalis feed as we do sista...

One thing I really love is, We don't have to call our families before we knock their doors. Seriously, no need to set appointments, just knock and step inside... :D Although many would disagree and say that its invasion of privacy and that people may want to go outside and change their plans for your sake.. I don't think so. If u r going somewhere and someone comes, u can just stay back for 5 minutes and tell them that u were going out. They will understand.. but to eliminate the whole concept of it... will actually cause people to be unclean ( it only applies to those who are lazy). When u know someone is gonna be knocking at ur door anytime... u will scrap ur bathrooms, kitchen and make sure u make ur bed b4 u step out of it... just incase :D

I guess we made habits based on wisdom :eek:

salam all

quruxleey (long name)

hey nice topic good on u sis/bro

i agree wid u on da dirac (i love it, only at weddings though)

hehehe hibo, now i know why u clean ur home:: lol

hey even i'm proud of our culture; and i get told off the most for not following it in my family;

it does have its ups and downs, but i think that our people are the really nice people (when they want to be) when u need help, ur not shy to ask a strange Mali, just say look adeer or edoo i need....

and they real do love each other, even if i saw a mali person i dislike in trouble i'll help them just because they are mail, i also find my self sticking up for them in fornt of other races, making a billion and one excuses for all the farah's and xalimo's.

but hey i'm sure they'll do the same for me!!

in short i think we all love each other;; even the half lost, new generation (dat includes me so don't attack)

salamz

DraGon   

Quruxley from s/net is here...abayo welocome.

One the thing I love about being somalis is how spontanoeous we are.....you can just strike a conversation with a stranger (fellow somali) like you have known each other for ages.

Also at one time it used to bother me when a somali person sees you he/she stares at you like your are his/her lost brother....never knowing all that is expected of you is a simple iskaarawaan.

The most proudest moment was when I was standing in a queue in a bank and these two year old somali kid crossed line to come and ask me if I was a somali....with Somalis you can run but you cant hide.

I love their generosity! With my non-somali friends when they say to me "lets go out to eat" or "lets watch a movie" I know that I better not forget my wallet and head out to the bank to get some extra cash. And even If I was to borrow two dollars...they expect it back...they wouldnt actually be so cheap as to remind me...but its sort of an unwritten rule everyone knows.

But most of the time..when I'm with my somali friends or relatives...they insist on paying for me. Whether or not I have the money is of no importance. And many of them consider it an insult if I return borrowed money less than 10 dollars.

Sooooooooooooooooooo sweet!!!!

Emerald   

Great topic Quruxleey,

for me the best element of our culture has got to be the Somali language. It's beautifully crafted and exclusive to the Somali race its this that creates the tightknit Somali community. I love the way we pronounce our words regardless of accent, I'm intrigued by the variety of accents and the simplicity of the language as a whole and I'd best not forget the people behind the tongue, I love my Somali maryooley smile.gif

Muhammad   

I'll have to go with Xu and Dreamer,

If there is one Hadeeth that we Somalis take heart to its is : toobaa for the ghurabaa!

Its their generosity, specially to the strangers.

Soomaaliyeey Toosoo, toosoo isku tiirsada ee,

Haba kiina taag taran, taageera weligiinee

1 love

1 Ilah

1 soul

1 faith

1 ummah

Jacpher   

We're all proud to be Somalis. Couple of things I like about Somalis but some of you may not.

1. I like their (Xushmad & Xishood) respect and consideration. Have you ever been into a store/restaurant and want to get something real quick and late from work? Somalis will give you a priority as long as you ask respectfully. Some of them might have been standing in line for a while but they let you get the service first. We also do this for non-Somalis especailly Muslims. Have you not heard, "War qofkaan ajnabiga iska hor mariya or is-dhaafiya?"

2. The Somali kids will yell your name out in the public if you ran to them in the shopping malls. Couple of years ago, I was a teacher at dugsi Qur'aan. Every time I am at the mall, I see Somali kids call me by "Macalin hebel" and I end up meeting their parents. Now everyone knows me and my name. Little strange but makes me feel I'm on top of the world because I made a little contribution to their life.

3. I like how we respect our Somali neighbors even if they’re noisy. Some Somali families have problem controlling their teenagers' behavior and it tends to effect all the residents. Some kids hang with the wrong crowds & end up stealing or breaking into cars. Somali will never or rarely complain to them or about them. They will ignore and hope the problem will go away. They do this not to cause problem to their fellow Somalis. They won’t even call the police if they see Somali kids doing drugs in the neighborhood. Others won’t hesitate.

I'm afriad the young generation may not value these qualities.

dawoco   

quruxleey, shaxshaxleey nice topic. What I love about our cultures is when ever a group of somalis come together, there are no uncomfortable silences, no embarrasments. In a Somali event everyone is so full of good will, and they are so friendly and anyone will be made welcome.

Also, I love the various traditional dances, like the dhaanto and the baraanbur. I just enjoy the way islaamaha can do it somuch better than the younger ones icon_razz.gif

It is a mystery that a heavy woman in her 50's and 60's can make the jumps look so easy and to the rhythm, while a girl in her 20's looks ridiculous, even if she does the steps without tripping over her own feet and falling

Thanks for all your replies people...All brought a smile to my face and warmth to my heart.

Another thing about Somalis(linked in with emerald's post about our language)is the labels that we tag one another based on physical attributes...

Examples;

-Cawar..one eye

-Nafyar,caato or lafolafo......Skinny

-Gacanlow..Missing arm/one arm

-Dhego dheere..long ears

-Suuleey....one thumb

ect ect

I would NEVER contemplate addressing one of these terms to say,a British anglo-saxon.They would be in shock and dismayed LooL :eek: &would think I was insensitive and cruel.

Funny thing is the Somali person who is coined one of these labels responds with no imbarassment...Happy go-lucky-people our Somalis are walle ;)

<-----Trying to figure out who DraGon is...hmmm..Yes this is I Quruxley from S'Net :cool: