Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

BAN KHAT NOW!!!

Laba-X   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

LX,

Not the same, is it? UD is challenging the man's argument whilst Marc wants to limit UD's choices (by calling for a ban).

Do you believe you have the RIGHT to make the WRONG choices? Do you think someone else should decide what's right and what's wrong for you?

(looks like we're going down a different and more interesting path now).

NG, by calling for a ban, isn't it, by all means, his prerogative to do so?

As for choices, whether you came to a decision through a conscious deliberation or not, it surely must be your right to make a wrong or a right choice - conscious deliberations of the choice making process imply a higher a propbility of making the right choice, which is what we want to make eventually. Now this questions, why would one deliberately make a wrong choice unless there is some sort of a benefit? Could this still be called a wrong choice

Emperor   

ISmahan, I know my community more than the BBC, Home office or any other organisation... No one can tell me how my house looks like, and the BBC isn't some sort of revelation of a holly BOok, they can get it wrong, Very Simple.

Khalaf   

^^and u say 10%? lol..., Ismahan your estimates are closer to the truth walaleey. When i said the same thing while back, 90% i also got the same responses from other cats.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

LX,

Do you believe you have the RIGHT to make the WRONG choices? Do you think someone else should decide what's right and what's wrong for you?

I know this was directed as LX, and i didn't follow the discussion or watch the video, but to answer this question in another form, absoutly yes. Why are laws made? Where do laws come from? they dont come from thin air. If your choices as an individual are harmful to the majority (society), then people concerned citizens lobby and get legislations passed to change current policies. Who decides if your choices are harmful? Well the majority does. (speaking from a non-religious prespective)

ps: as for teens drinking/and smoking weed, that is an entirly different topic. the khat industry is an international business, and would/should concern governments/law ect.

NinBrown   

Emperor...gabadha iska daa, the bbc is very accurate with all their figure...lol...yeah right, if its the BBC I know anyway. and for the Home Office dont even go there....they dont even know how many Somalis in the UK, let lone how many of the chew khat.

Baashi   

UD,

Enforcement is a job designated for the state organs such as law enforcement and criminal justice system. Marc as a citizen wants to convince the government to weigh in the social ills in his community. You as a user naturally see it differently. That puts you on the other side of the aisle.

That's that.

As to alchohol consumption well no action needed there as that is a regulated product.

At this point it is activists vs. interest groups with vested interest in trying to preserve the status quo -- users, traders, etc.

Luckily we live in states where process is open enough to wage full fledged campaign against khat :D and my man Marc intends to take full advantage of the right to petition his government to weigh in the social ills caused by khat -- drug of choice of my people.

Emperor   

NinBrown stay away, Will ya :D

Ismahan, my dear sister I never meant to be Faarax, although Im one but I have all it takes to re-undo myslef should that makes me any better.

You, my sister, may be right in your statistics or wrong, I could be wrong as well, I have presented my views, neither I, or you is wrong or right, no obvious right or wrong answer is out there, only staticts of some form...

It's only a dicussion forum, I liked you and your character, and that's why I have personaly opted to comment your reply, nothing personal, I hope you take it as clean as it could get...

Now you shouldn't rest you case, shed a light if you have more, it is as a discussion forum, it's fluid and has to be discussed in it otherwise It will shut down...

NinBrown   

Ismahaan...This is a recent study funded by the home office, the figure they qoute from their sample is 38%.

However, it does emphasise that in this study and all other studies the sample size was small, it was not randomised and the power of the study could not generate statistically significant results.

You come across as someone who is well versed in both scietific principles and statistics...so let me know what you think of it.

This is the link

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs05/rdsolr4705.pdf

This topic has become so philosphical! you people have turn something interesting into something so trival and pointless. thanks alot (!)

CG - the world doesnt revolve around you son!

MARC

underdog   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

Who decides if your choices are harmful? Well the majority does. (speaking from a non-religious prespective)

So with this theory, and the BBC stat about 80% or 90% chewers, hasn't the majority indeed decided? Democracy in action.

ps: as for teens drinking/and smoking weed, that is an entirly different topic. the khat industry is an international business, and would/should concern governments/law ect.

As to alchohol consumption well no action needed there as that is a regulated product.

Alcohol and weed is international too. Widely available and 100% proven to be more dangerous than khat. But its sounds like both of you would approve of young Somali adults engaging in regulated drinking than unregulated chewing.

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Emperor:

NinBrown stay away, Will ya
:D

Ismahan, my dear sister I never meant to be Faarax, although Im one but I have all it takes to re-undo myslef should that makes me any better.

You, my sister, may be right in your statistics or wrong, I could be wrong as well, I have presented my views, neither I, or you is wrong or right, no obvious right or wrong answer is out there, only staticts of some form...

It's only a dicussion forum, I liked you and your character, and that's why I have personaly opted to comment your reply, nothing personal, I hope you take it as clean as it could get...

Now you shouldn't rest you case, shed a light if you have more, it is as a discussion forum, it's fluid and has to be discussed in it otherwise It will shut down...

No problem bro,thanks for you comments smile.gif

I’m glad you dropped by to read this and post your comments.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by marcassmith:

Why are there are a lot of pro-khat people in this forum. I thought we all had a consensus that Khat was a social ill and one that should be banned if anything. I see a lot of people in the pro-khat campaign advocating that Khat be allowed to be consumed and continue to wreck havoc in the Somali society.

Saxiib, they went to chew every once in a while you see. They don't want to nervously wait in a back corner somewhere for the stuff to arrive whilst sweating nervously and looking out for police.

Ismahaan   

^^and u say 10%? lol..., Ismahan your estimates are closer to the truth walaleey. When i said the same thing while back, 90% i also got the same responses from other cats.

Well I am glad at least you have the guts to admit this, real man iga dheh smile.gif

Did they? So you knew this :(

Why Didn’t You Warn Me earlier? :rolleyes: :D

Emperor   

^Haa Waa Zidaaz, gabar rag ah iga dheh :D

Now how did I miss KHalaf's point? Khalaf where do you live? UK? Don't tell me in a miraa cultivated land somewhere in Kenya or Ethiopia, perhaps you underestimate the 90% figure...

Like I said before, Im not depending on any statistical date given by outside Organisation but my personal experience and observation. There are many Somali mosques in the UK, London and else where in the regions, during every Salat it is packed and full of Somali men, you hardly get space to breath, and also there are many fadhi kudirir Maqaaxiyo similarly filled by Somali men and you won't find a space to stand let alone sit... Pay a visit to the Marfishes where you would only find few no more than 3 or 4 lost heads, low lifes who had not seen the Sun or sky for few days... How had the number of the heads in the Marfish had grown exponentially than the rest based on the BBC's data is beyond my comprehension... Why would it give a head count to those in the Marfish in the name of the Somali community and ingore the decent worshiping or Shaah drinking lads...

If you take data only from the Marfishes then the percentage of those who chew Qat in the Marfish should have been 100%, it's logical they said 90% because there are always those that work in the Marfish but don't like to chew it...

Im Somali, I know my community more than anyone else, I won't let the BBC or any other news media tell me what my community looks like. What's going on is a form of generalization, the problem of a few shouldn't be branded on the whole of the community, it is exactly whats hapening, we are not all Qat addicts... Period.