Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

BAN KHAT NOW!!!

Gediid   

I really dont have much to say about the topic at hand but I thought maybe this

I thought was one hilarious.Better than the Misters youtube videos if you ask me.....Enjoy

PS

Dont watch it if you hate hearing Somali cuzz words...

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by NinBrown:

Ismahaan u tellin every ten somali men you know nine of the chew khat.....is that what you sayin...well i guess you know the wrong people.

I worked on a research project about khat and Somalis....we had 5 controls for every 1 subject i.e we had 5 times more non-khat chewers.

what you got to understand is that statistics can be spinned evryway you like...may be the survey was done in a marfish...then I would understand the 90% figure.

Does anyone else think 90% of somali men in the UK chew khat.

Ok, you said that you worked on a research project about khat and Somali, thought, u didn’t mention what was the research about, where and how the survey was carried out. However, you said that you had 5 times more non-khat chewers (less than 1/5=20%). In other word a total of 100 people were examined of whom less than 20% were chewers, mmm seems very fishy...does this seem right? Maybe you should visit the marfish I am sure you will score 100% dang.

Anyways according to the scientists, BBC world, Dispatcher as well as the Home Office's drugs and alcohol research unit, 80-93% of Somali men currently residing in Uk chew khat and most are addicted. Having say that, “It is hard to agree or disagree with you because you seem to argue for both sides”. No matter if this figure is right or wrong you have the right to your own opinion.

There’s an old saying … “I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Well even if I don’t agree with your opinion, I believe that you not only have the right to your own point of view, but that you have the right to express it as well. The problem is, once people disagree with the opinion or massage the issue become muddled and people begins focusing on the message instead of the issue. Anyways everybody’s entitled to their own opinion, don’t you think?? :rolleyes:

Ps: sorry but I only know men in my family members, allhamdulilah they are all religious i.e. they don’t do what Allah has prohibited. Indeed, what Allah prohibits has a reason to why He forbids it.

Emperor   

^Your number is too high, if something is too juicy to believe is just simply is too dodgy to be believed... that number is way too high...

90% of Somali men in the UK chew????????? God that is scary, had you even said 20% chew I would have found myself hard to believe it.. Just see if that make sense to you, Im a man dear, a social man at that, I know more men than you do and infact interacted with many chewers than you, if you are not a heavy chewer yourself :D LOl only kiding, typo sort of thing, paas, forget it :D

Honestly the number is around 10%, I would think if not less... thats my observation anyway...

As for banning Khat, Im for the ban, what is it good for anyway, whether it would go underground or draw some of the society into a crime matters less, whoever wants to be a criminal is his choice, there are places appropriately made for them, prisons...

How many Somali criminals are there that are not heavy Qaters themselves, what about the drug dealers, shall we call to outlaw the ban against other drugs so thes guyz wouldn't be criminilized and not end up in jails.

NinBrown   

Baning khat is neither here nor there...it wount solve our problems overnight...if anything it might introduce criminality and gang warfare.

What I have an issue with is this 90% figure, cos thats just ridicilous...there more people in the marfish than the masjid, according this figure.

Like you said believe what you wanna belive...but evryone knows 90% of Somali men in the UK dont chew qat.

NGONGE   

^^ Of the 90% only I confessed to chewing every now and then. Are you sure you don't chew? I think Underdog does you know. Baashi is a bit coy about it all and Marc, well, you only have to wonder why he's wearing those shades after all. :D

Why are there are a lot of pro-khat people in this forum. I thought we all had a consensus that Khat was a social ill and one that should be banned if anything. I see a lot of people in the pro-khat campaign advocating that Khat be allowed to be consumed and continue to wreck havoc in the Somali society.

Emperor   

NinBrown, In your own numbers, how many percent of the Somali population in the UK would you think consume Qaat?

As for the Ban, when it is time to take action, action should be taken, Qaat is a big problem to our community and hence should be banned if that is possible... Of course everything action taken would have a consequence, advantages and disadvantages, in the longer run the Somali community will benefit from the ban while if let legal it will continue and far worse may lead to a more addicts off all level from young to old and more female..

underdog   

Originally posted by marcassmith:

Why are there are a lot of pro-khat people in this forum. I thought we all had a consensus that Khat was a social ill and one that should be banned if anything. I see a lot of people in the pro-khat campaign advocating that Khat be allowed to be consumed and continue to wreck havoc in the Somali society.

If I, as a consenting adult, choose to engage in some recreational weekend munch-sessions, aren't you violating my free-will by trying to ban khat?

If I'm a functioning member of society who occasionally enjoys unwinding with some miraa in the privacy of my own home, will you come to my door and arrest me?

If we disregard the hopelessly gone sector who wouldn't be useful with or without khat, do we know any khat chewers who actually have jobs and raise families?

I know a few.

Besides, there's a deeper knowledge of the issue that I assume you are unaware of. How many sub-species of Khat are there? Did you know different types of khat have different effects of people?

There's pro-khat people in this forum because you failed to provide a convincing presentation to ban khat. You kind sound like GWB and the whole WMD argument - "Its bad, you should already know this. and we have to do something about it now!"

Laba-X   

Originally posted by underdog:

If I, as a consenting adult, choose to engage in some recreational weekend munch-sessions, aren't you violating my free-will by trying to ban khat?

If he chooses to advocate for the ban of Khat, Aren't you violating his free will to do so by standing in his way?

underdog   

Forget the old skool Khat chewers for a moment...they're old enough to know better. What about our Somali youth double-fisting the Rum and Vodka at every night-club in the western hemisphere? How about a nice video rant at those ones.

I know you've seen em. I see them all the time...and shockingly, whereas khat is male dominated, the sistas chug down almost more than the brothas.

You all know thats a WAY bigger issue than Khat. Maybe its just more socially acceptable here. Budweiser's sexier than Kangeta, right?

How about "Let's Save the next Generation from Weed and Alcohol" I'm sure thats more appealing than Khat.

NGONGE   

LX,

Not the same, is it? UD is challenging the man's argument whilst Marc wants to limit UD's choices (by calling for a ban).

Do you believe you have the RIGHT to make the WRONG choices? Do you think someone else should decide what's right and what's wrong for you?

(looks like we're going down a different and more interesting path now).

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Emperor:

I know more men than you do and infact interacted with many chewers than you, if you are not a heavy chewer yourself
:D
LOl only kiding, typo sort of thing, paas, forget it
:D

Maybe you should not kidding about these things redface.gif :mad:

About the figure: Go back and re-read what I originally wrote before you are claiming I'm wrong because this figure was estimated and calculated by BBC world, the home office, dispatcher, the guidance etc not me :D .

Read it Yourself:

1)http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/extra/series-1/smuggling_drugs_khat.shtml

2http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs05/rdsolr4705.pdf

underdog   

2 stone,

If he chooses to advocate for the ban of Khat, Aren't you violating his free will to do so by standing in his way?

ninka asagaa ii soo radsaday. Tryin' to have me arrested on my day off. He should take up a hobby like stamp-collecting or something aristocratic like polo.

underdog   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Do you believe you have the RIGHT to make the WRONG choices? Do you think someone else should decide what's right and what's wrong for you?

(looks like we're going down a different and more interesting path now).

Indeed. Lets see the Gestapo come out of the shadows.