Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

BAN KHAT NOW!!!

i see alot of people with intelligent thoughts but who have lost hope.

The worst form of anger is apathy. I am guessing most of the people who commented on this post have lost hope and have become cynics, whenever a new idea is mentioned, they tend to dismiss it. open your minds and be active!.

dont lose hope brothers and sisters.

Marc

Fabregas   

I don't think it's a case of losing hope. Simply banning something doesn't always solve the problem. The classic example is the prohibtion of alcohol in America, which only drove it underground and encouraged the growth of gangsters. Khat is illegal today in America and various other states, but it is still easily smuggled and sold for relatively high prices. This means not only are people paying high prices for the drug; they are taking high risks such as the risk of a jail sentences; and it also creates a culture of myth and the factor of the unknown to the youngsters. Thus, I don't think there is a great deal of evidence to show that banning khat would dramatically increase the negative effects it has on the Somali community. The Islamic Courts Union banned khat and it was reported in some towns that women were happy as there husbands started becoming proactive and working for the first time. But in other cases many people became angered as the khat was one of their only means of earning a living. Also some people flocked to other cities in Southern Somalia once certain days to escape the ban of the Islamic Courts. Khat is a multi millin dollar, on which many poor people earn a living, either through the sale or growth of it in Kenya and Ethiopia. Therefore, taking such a harsh measure requires a great deal of resources, planning and intelligence. Perhaps creating more avenues and projects for Somali youth to stay away from chewing would be more effective? or exposing the negative effects of khat through the use of dramatic pictures and videos of it's symptons?

I complete agree with you, but have slight concern. banning Khat in the UK and In somalia are two different things and thus cannot be compared as you have so clearly done.

In somalia, khat sustains the economy, in the UK its doesnt. In somalia- its the main source of income for hundreds of thousands of people. in the UK it doesnt play such an important role.

Khat needs to be banned not only for its health, economic and social impacts, but as its destroying the future of an entire generation of young somalis who would have otherwise be far better off without this drug!

MARC

N.O.R.F   

^^What benefit will banning Khat bring to the UK govnt? HM's Customs & Excise will lose out on millions of import taxes. Until it is proven/shown to them that the benefits outweigh the tax money things will remain the same.

Now, how do you think that can be done?

Marc:you wouldnt write that unless you know me (!).

which i doubt.

^ I dont need to know you to comment on a ridiculous idea when I see one.

NinBrown   

marc welcome

Khat causes many problems to the individual and in society. however, i dont see how banning khat in the UK would be all of the solution. like others have said many in many other countires where khat is illegal, Somalis still use it and it causes more problems.

p.s mate i know you funky glases or not.

NGONGE   

^^ Who were you before you changed your name? This has been bugging me for a while you know. I don't like things that bug me.

Hi Guys, Your comments have all of a sudden become personally. Some of you may know me, others might not!, but does this really matter?

I might have gone to uni with some of you, or might not have, but is that really something we need to discuss? I think not!

Now lets concentrate on the matter at hand, Khat and why it should be banned.

Some of you have argued that banning in the UK will make no difference and that it will cause more problems. -- i completely disagree with this idea for the simple reason that you only have to look at somalis in the US and Canada. these people have become prosperous and live a life much better than those of us who live in countries where khat is abused. Additionally my main concern with khat is that its destroying the future of young somalis in the west, particually in London, where khat usage among young people is endemic.

Also what benefits does khat bring to those who consume it?, nothing except poverty.

If we organised ourselve and lobby those who weild power then this can lead to khat being banned. Most of you seem rather cynical and i dont appreciate this. We are the future so let have some postive thinking please.

NGONGE - MY REAL NAME IS MAMADOU SALAKIM AND I AM FROM MALI, WEST AFRICA.

SALAM AND PEACE TO ALL!

MARC

NGONGE   

^^ :D

Ignore the personal questions, Marc. Only answer what you feel comfortable with. In time, people will get used to it and stop asking questions. For now thought, you're a bit of a celebrity in these parts and people are bound to want to know everything about you.

ps

I would not persume to ever ask anyone their real name in such a vulgar public way, I would send them a PM (Lazy uunsiga eno daar, wan so socda).

My question was addressed to Willamina above not yourself Mrac. smile.gif

i completely disagree with this idea for the simple reason that you only have to look at somalis in the US and Canada. these people have become prosperous and live a life much better than those of us who live in countries where khat is abused.

Ahem@@@@@@@@@@@@@my adopted country.

Lol@Ngonge, they wouldn't let you passed customs.

Originally posted by marcassmith:

... Now lets concentrate on the matter at hand, Khat and why it should be banned. ..

seriously man, please rest our minds .. and tell us the shades have been incinerated

as for the topic, your argument doesn't stand and preaching it doesn't help. There are plenty that use khaat responsibly and there are plenty that abuse it, as for endemic where do you get your figures? and for that matter how many is endemic?

NGonG.

what's wrong with you man? what's this *nice guy* act your putting on?