Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

'Not housekeepers any more': Somali women of the diaspora

Paragon   

So does Shakur plan to remarry? ‘Any woman who wants to marry must learn enough about the man before getting hooked up.
This is Europe and there is plenty of time. She can go out with him and give it a try. She can even ‘tempt him unlawfully’.

‘Women should avoid marrying men for money and looks. What is important is his intelligence and his behaviour in the family,’ she says. ‘As to whether I will marry again…no comment! But of course I need a man.’

Oh yeah? I like it, I like it. Now that's 'real' progress. smile.gif

Ibtisam   

^^^Lool^ trust you to pick up on that!!

Adam not really into drama, so wont get into names, I just wanted to check that there was no hint of truth in their angry rants. Good to know I had no role in whatever it is.

Chimera   

This is internet, I really don't know anyone here, and i'm quite content with that reality. I don't understand why anyone would want to talk or rant about an 'internet figure' in PM, as if they go way back, pretty lame.

Ibtisam   

Adam no sure really, guess you have fans, so please tell your fans I had nothing to do with anything. I am peace loving, drama free sprit, who only cracks jokes in public with other nomads. Maybe they thought you was really having our baby or something. :eek:

Paragon, I'm sure it did :D

Blablabla religion blablabla feminism blablabla. This whole article is blablabla.

The only important thing here is SATISFACTION. If the woman isn't satisfied, she's gonna look for weaknesses in her man and eat him alive. It has nothing to do with the West, or Islam, or all sorts of scapegoats people try to find.

If you're man enough, your woman will respect you. Period. You can make her do all sorts of things for you, or you can let her do what she wants. But she most certainly won't try to turn you into her slave.

I bet you even Iman would cook for me and wash my draws. Well, if she wasn't married to David Bowie ;)

Chimera   

^Iman as a 18 year old was deeply in love with a Somali guy whom she married and obviously 'respected' yet it did not last, Somali women have always been independent minded, wether as leaders, poets, commanders, scholars, mothers or entrepreneurs because they are no different from any other group of women around the world, this article is generalising and misrepresenting our society.

To be honest though Sherban, i doubt you could handle a Arraweelo, one attempt at singing for her and she will cut out your tongue(before PM's start circulating, this is just a joke!)

Hales   

But according to Professor Wasuge, the largest source of income in contention between spouses falls outside the welfare system. Most Somali women living in Europe benefit from an interest-free loan system. Shalongo, as it is known in Somali, involves large sums of money, managed centrally, which circulate within a fixed number of women. The Shalongo can raise between £5,000 and £12,000 annually for a woman who needs it – depending on how much is invested. This sum has to be repaid in instalments over an agreed period of no less than a year

Ibtiiiiiii

This Shalango is something my mom and her friends do, ah it brings back memories when we use to have have financial problems when discussing how to use the money properly.

It just shows common Daqan like these are among the Somali people.

But anyways I believe us men are the culprits in marriage breakdowns; because of their traditional marriage custom and way of life like the article says, ive seen 1 or 2 Families break because of these reason.

The blame lies squarely on them, laakin i dont think the next generation will have these view on woman.

Tuujiye   

I prefer to use the term "homemaker".

lool waraa libaax san ka xanteeye, siyaasi in aa tahay saan aa lagu kasaa kawaran!

Wareer Badanaa!!!