Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

A Somali Women's........... makes to Harvard Kennedy School

Tahliil   

I'm always intensely curious about the depth of honesty and sincerity in these so-called prestigious positions and qualifications bestowed upon certain people and races and religions from the thirld world countries. Prior to this person, the latest person who joined the ranks was Ayaan Hersi who secured a position on American Enterprise Institute, a think tank..I am always puzzled by what that says about the person who is receiving the honor and the paychecks and the intention of the institution who is giving away these honors and issuing the checks? Congrats to her...wishin her all the best in the future.

Sophist   

Tahlil; I think you got the wrong end of the stick as it were. The lady is in Kenya and is holding a "development" book!.

Janna   

Sophist,

Glad to see you are back. ;) And thanks for posting the article. Interesting reading it, something different for a change.

ElPunto   

^What am I missing? I saw a Somali woman refugee's photo but nothing about a Somali woman attending the school. :confused:

-Lily-   

^^I thought the woman was attending also. But it's not so suprising even if she were attending the school, Somalis are doing well for themselves these days, despite the mass hysteria of our doomsday we hear day in and day out.

Maf Kees   

ThePoint.

I don't think there is a Somali woman going to Harvard Kennedy school judging by this link. Just a picture of a Somali refugee in Kenya.

STOIC   

Being unable to tell what the original poster meant this thread for, I will try to stray from his intention.It is imposible to tell what Harvard got to do with the picture.This picture is a symbol of common qualities of all human. The old lady with the book in a Dadab refugee camp symbolized rational control of a person's intellectual autonomy. The idea of learning is to think for oneself and gain command of your thought.The lady might not get the same intellectual rigor as in Havard, but her intellectual perseverance in the refugee camp will tramp the Harvard diploma.Her firm adherance to open that book in a refugee camp symbolizes in my eyes a woman willing to pursue intellectual insight in unsettled environment.

Sophist   

The point "^I think I get - it was totally tongue-in-cheek on Sophist's part"

It seems you are the only one who got this.

Stoic

Walaalkiis, it is symbolism nothing more nothing less and has nothing to do with the noble and deep seated strive which you are alluding to.

The picture is representation of the desprate situations that some of humanity find themselves in; the course aims to study that.

Alexus thank you walaashiis.