Sign in to follow this  
Gorilla Theater

Why are Somalis successful in OTHER countries?

Quick question before I slap myself for being Somali... redface.gif

Why do Somalis achieve success in every way possible and in every country BESIDES their own?

Here in Minnesota, they are the hardest working, most law abiding, most educated, and fastest progressing people in the state, bar none, no competition. And they live a way of life and have a certain swagger and appeal that is welcomed by the state, sort of like Somalis are the solution to the state, like they have saved the state, I can tell they are by far the mayor's favorite newcomer group.

Okay, that being said -- why is Somalia (weak little fractured republic in Africa) still walking on one leg, while continually biting its other 3 infected legs? (I hope you can comprehend the metaphor).

And please, no "reasons" or excuses -- obviously I know of the civil war and the dictator and all the other info, so don't bring it up in hopes of finding an answer -- the answer is deep within the people's psyche and a hidden tradition that our ancestors have created that we continue to promote while not really knowing much about it.

Hmm...

FatB   

you know you raise a every interesting question...

i suppose back in somalia people luck the forsight they have here in the west....

Su'aasha aan isweydiiyo sometimes waaye. Dubeey iyo Nayroobi ayee dhistaan, oo muran kama dhaxeeyo. The moment la yiraahdo Soomaaliya hala dhiso, muranka imaanaayo iyo isqabqabsiga - dhulkaas ama magaaladaas qabiilkeyga ma dego maxaa u dhisanaa; meeshaan nabad kama jirto, maxaa isku qasaarinaa; Soomaaliya waa ka quursaday and yada yada yada.

Buuxo   

^but that is true,there is little one can do without stability.YOu can go and build a mansion ,open a great business but it won't be successful because people can't even afford the basics.And with all the revenge killings ,its no wonder that somalis are successful in other countries.

GOrrilla, who says somalis back home aren't law-abiding(if there was any law) it could be a lot worse, consider the nomadic people, they may not be the most educated ,but noone can say they are not hard-working and law-abiding ( following a moral code,i guess).

cuz bush entered the somali ocean with his goons.

..tfg-amxaarow-boys.

dont fret...freedom fighters are working hard. the enemy will burn in somali and in hell.

Chimera   

FIFA disqualified the Somali football federation multiple times in the past,because we have a few myopic greedy men who spoil the fun for everybody else with their corruption. Our people want peace and stability, they would love to live like the generations before them did (as you can see on these video's they lived quite comfortably) but a few lunatics dragged them back to point A

If you click on this Link you will process the fact your people outside of the political landscape have done alot of remarkable things for themselves

But alas Uncle Sam and his docile slaves had to ruin it, and we are back to point A.

Only a sinister individual suffering from a inferiority complex would take his own people's time of turmoil to question wether their actually ''human''

No, I am a middle aged Somali man (ethnic background) living in the United States, with a green backyard, a nice truck, and a huge...*grill*

I think it's best you went back to that huge grill and left Somali issue's to those who actually take the time to figure out things for themselves instead of asking to be spoonfed information that in your case you will regurgitate in the end cause your not here to learn , your just a middle aged man with a childlike ''I'm better than you, you and you'' attitude trying to boast about his little gains

I'm out, have a nice day

Ibtisam   

^^^^ redface.gif Lol Take it easy on him, you might even change (open) his mind if he sticks around long enough!

Poster: The conditions are different: you cannot do well and walk around with a swagger while dodging bullets or running for your life. So it is a bad comparison to draw.

Somalis your city got a helping hand, a stable environment and most of all OPPORTUNITIES, something that is missing in Africa, let alone war torn Somalia. The rest you will have to research yourself.

I don’t know what you term as success, but from what I hear of your town, the Somali contribution is below average in performance in economically terms, few shops and five high flyers does not carry the community.

Seriously how did you get to that conclusion? Successful am confused since when did 40 money transfer shops, 40 internet cafes, 30 xalal butchers on the same street Equate to success how explain please?

Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale,

I am a logical Somali (smallest demographic on Earth) and when I just can't find a logical answer as to why an entire ethnic group is working towards its own self destruction, I start to look elsewhere and see if anyone has a logical and educated explanation (FYI, their views on the stick people must be in line with my own).

But, being a REAL Somali, you'll probably find the answer on your own, and by the end of the day, qabiil will work its way in your answer and you will have murdered upwards of 20 people. I promise.

Aaliyyah   

Why do Somalis achieve success in every way possible and in every country BESIDES their own?

We have made some accomplishments overseas that are worth mentioning. But, we have only been permanently away from our homeland for about 20 years at most. There is still much to be done in our new adopted countries.

So to answer your question, the reason why Somalis haven’t achieved much back home is because they are consumed by the very idea of tribalism. Every tribe wants to lead the country, and sometime every sub tribe. We have to get over tribalism, and rather seek which individuals has what it takes to lead the country.

That been said. If we look at the whole picture Somalia is part of Africa. Africa has been taken advantage of economically by the west for the past two centuries. Hence, Somalia will have to go through a long grueling journey to finally pull away from Africa’s predicament. As Somalis we must succeed, by uniting and getting over our small differences that even the rest of the world can’t comprehend; we are Africans, Muslims, and Somalis. So what is our dissimilarity, that till today we have shed blood for?

chubacka   

^^ good point AA...we are part of Africa you can't isolate Somalia and say why have we destroyed ourselves.

The ones living in the west, some are trying to succeed and some are not you cnt blame them for the problems of a country they left or have visited once.

Ask those in Somalia why they can never get their act together.

AAliyah416,

Thanks for the clear answer. My last chapter on Skinny Sociology 101 has just been closed.

I wonder if one skinny out of the 10 million is smart enough to designate a peace of the massive pie that is Somalia, so that every skinny can have something to eat.