Sign in to follow this  
Iffah

Weird Cravings

Iffah   

Have any of you girls ever experienced weird cravings such as eating dirt, paste, and even hair? These past few months I've noticed myself munching on few more ice chips than I'd like...and no, I'm not pregnant! But I was told by my Dr that I had Iron deficiency anemia a year ago. This means that either your red blood cells or the amount of hemoglobin (oxygen-carrying protein) in your red blood cells is low.

The primary cause is blood lost during menstruation. But eating too few iron-rich foods or not absorbing enough iron can make the problem worse. (The recommended daily allowance for iron ranges from 6 milligrams (infants) to 30 milligrams (pregnant women). Yet one government source found that females between 12 and 50 years old, those at highest risk for iron-deficiency anemia, get about half of what they need). Pregnancy, breast-feeding a baby, and blood loss from the gastrointestinal tract (either due to ulcers or cancer) can also deplete iron stores. Older persons who have poor diets, especially when they live alone, often have iron-deficiency anemia.

Anyways, she prescribed some iron pills, Palafer (red capsules). I followed the medication regimen for about a month when I decided the occassional lightheadedness and epigastric pain from my diagnosis was better to deal with than the side effects of the pill itself- diarrhea, constipation and nausea...so I stopped taking the medication and started focusing on changing my eating habits. I started trying more iron rich foods such as green leafy vegetables, liver (beer)- which hooyo insisted on me eating every morning and fish. But being the busy student I was...I didn't get to eat 3 meals a day, let alone following that specific diet. So now I find myself craving ice chips, which apparently isn't normal icon_razz.gif So, I was just reading up on anemia, when I found about this codition called pica which is a symptom associated with anemia. Pica is condition in which people crave non-food substances such as ice chips, dirt, laundry soap, starch, hair, matches, etc.

I also, ecently discovered there are many Somali girls that have this condition. I guess it's due to our poor diets (of course not all of us eat poorly) but some of us don't consume foods that are good sources of iron combined with that monthly cycle of blood loss.

So- having briefly explained that... back to the original question. Have you had any weird cravings as mentioned above? And if you've had or have anemia, how did you try to over come it?

*NOTE*

*Iron deficiency anemia is not only the most common form of anemia, it's the easiest to correct if it's due to being female or taking in inadequate amounts of certain foods.

If you'd like to read more on this condition, click here.

Harmful cravings

My fam always thought I was weird for taking eating a hotdog rolled with canjeelo and ketchup. But I must say, This is the first time I've heard of Pica. Sounds dangerous!

pearl   

So- having briefly explained that... back to the original question. Have you had any weird cravings as mentioned above? And if you've had or have anemia, how did you try to over come it?

no i dont have those weird craving but i do or did have anemia about a year ago. it was due to lack of red meat and greens. my doc subscribed those bills to me as well, but i didint take them due to the side effects, instead i take iron supplements, all natural no side effects. cant tell whether it had any effect on me yet, which reminds me I need to another blood test.

coffee also reduces ur iron intake so cut it out diet.

raula   

SheNomad-PICA is especially prevelant in many girls and pregnant women back home due to the different etiological demographics that surround the circumstances. I was once Anemic and overcame it several years ago(mine was also Iron-deficency Anemia).

How I overcame it: 1-Eating variety of foods by incorporating green leafy vegetables(especially legumes which are scarce in our food culture, but very good source of protein in the diet and other crucial minerals/vitamins in our body), sea food(mostly fresh-water fishes and others), and eating organ-derived meats such as liver, kidneys etc(the organ-derived meats are the major sources of iron but very rare to find them in western markets). Beef is also a major source of Iron, but might increase risks for cardiovascular and circulatory diseases. 2-Exercise! Exercise!Exercise!-this increases your Oxygen-carrying capicity in the RBC(red blood cells). It also tones and help relax/flex muscles related to menstruation for smooth excretion of bodily fluids. Even a mile stroll around your neighborhood would assist in OXygen increase in the lungs and into the bloodstream. Finally, limit your stress level-this assists in reducing the physiological and psychological calamities associated with combatting foreign invasion through constant neurological input-majorly by the CNS(Central nervous system brain).

Other alternatives are suplementation-however, dietary supplementation should be the last resort :eek: if no prior knowledge of the drug due to toxicity levels and other confounding factors.

BTW what is the doctors diagnosis of the etiology of your anemia? Is it due to dietary complication(i.e not enough Iron in your blood) or Heavy menstrual cycles(if the latter is the case-then they need to assess for Zinc-deficiency as well-because its closely associated).

Sorry for the long reply(Iam deluded with the public health) :D;) RAULA :cool:

Tuujiye   

from my understandin i think ya'll hav (buufis) ...guys this is where u can find help

www.buufis.com

DA hotdogs n cajeelo looooooooooooooooooooooooooool walaahi ur more qac then qac qaac

pearl   
Originally posted by garab tuujiye:

[QB] from my understandin i think ya'll hav (buufis) ...guys this is where u can find help

www.buufis.com

woow...i never knew u were such a genius!..

no really..walaalo dont make fun of people who are suffering lack of good health. god forbid u had prostate cancer i said .."i think the reason why he has that is cuz his impotent "

maybe it would help if u learned more about the female body instead of blaming it on mood swings...to get u started off...what are the causes of mood swings and how does that relate to the menstrual cycle? and does a woman really have control over her emotions during that period?...its crucial that u learn this so that u'll better understand and be patient with ur wife during those times....

Well ive never had a weird craving Alhamdullilah. But have seen alot of cases of Pica. Raula that was sound advice . Sisters if u cant take the pill you can try the liquid formula doesnt taste good but works. Coffee and tea do reduce the irons absorption in the body so its adviced not to have them together with meals wait for atleast 30 minutes.

Just want to add if a guy has anemia the first thing to be thought should be internal bleeding or a tumor.Beware.

raula   

thx.Sade(dada ;) )Iam addicted to tea(sippin' Asami from Herrod's momentarily while admiring my peach tulips :D;) )..but anywayz, good tip Sade bout the guyz as well-many somali men are unaware of this conditions!

Iffah   

Tx for your input girls.

Dr. Raula ( smile.gif ).. tx for that info. My Doc did say my deficiency was due to poor ingestion of iron rich foods. Alxamdulillah it's not with the menses.

Sade,

You mean iron in the liquid form? Doesn't that really stain your teeth? And the taste isn't too nice either. And no injections pls, especially with iron... that'd be very painful. If I hear the Z-track method of giving injections...I'll freak out redface.gif

Also, I read about not taking tea and coffee with iron as they contain tannins which will limit the absorption of iron, but I can't give up on caffeine.... I can try the 30 min limit period tho. Doesn't milk and OJ reduce the absorption of iron too?

DA - nothing wrong with hotdog and canjeero... the canjeero acts as the bread...so what's the problem? Lol..

Pearl - what are the iron supplements called? I might try 'em.

Tuujiye   

Pearl please don't change the words and make me look bad..please...I'm having fun and no I didn't make fun of anybody..their is a difference between a joke and fun of and if I mixed up for you I'm sorey.

woow...i never knew u were such a genius!..

please don't insult my Intelligents because is one thing for you to tell me I'm wrong and should stop making fun of others, but for you to make fun of me while your telling is wrong? ;)

any ways tnx for the lecture...1 love

Nazra   

The Topic's title didn't sound appealing but i was meant to click for a reason.

When i was doing my final exams at high school, some changes hit me.

My mum who i call my doctor, realised i was down with energy, tired and looking pale.

"Pale"??? i know, i told her that only white ppl look pale. But she insisted that i might be anemic. I had no idea what she was on about but all i knew was she gave me a lil booklet to read and educate myself about iron deficiency.

My mum then told me to have a blood test to count and to see if i am lacking in iron.

Once i took this blood test it only came back as "low level of iron".

It wasn't low but slightly low. So i took over-counter iron pills just to keep them up...and i completely changed my diet and included more red meat, and green vegetables and vitamin c to aid iron absorption.

I quit tea/coffee due to my mum's demand.

My mum also told me not to take those pills no longer than three months... and told me after that to have another blood test end of the year, to see any improvement.

I followed her advise.... as unusual.

The Results came back.... my doctor was said "your iron levels are high....STOP TAKING WHATEVER YOU ARE TAKING" that's what i really wanted to hear though i miss taking my daily iron tablet every night... it was a routine not to be missed.... that kept my iron levels well up and ready to conceive :D

My reason for low iron level was due to diet.

Tea and coffee slow the absorption of iron into ur blood stream. And i was NOT eating most of the heam and non heam foods.

Ilhaam some serious case you bought up here...PICA bisinka :eek: it sounds like a mental illness.

I had no unusual cravings. But i suggest you take iron tablets over the counter... they have No side effects AT ALL, but the liquid form is better cause it's absorb quicker in the body.

GIRLS FOLLOW THIS AND YOU SHALL BE ANEMIC FREE FOREVER(if u have are anemic):

*Quit Shaah, that's right u heard me... shaah

*Quit Coffee (yuk i hate the taste of it..now)

*Eat atleast three to four serves of meat, fish and poultry which are easily absorbed by the body these are called (heam iron)

*Eat your non heam foods such as eggs, spinach,raisins weetbixs etc.

*Excercise (excercise helps iron to be absorbed well and QUICKER)

*Take One tablet daily (iron tablet or iron tablet with folic acid or even Vitamin C)

*Increase Vitamin C intake... (orange Juice)

After a complete diet change you won't even know what anemia means. :D

PS: fact; 7 out 10 women are anemic.....Check ur self or pick up the signs which include... fatigue, tiredness, hair loss and pale looking. And not to mention being a women is risk of being anemic due to menstrual blood loss and pregnancy.

Arwa   

thank you Shenomad13 for sharing this information, by doing this you have solved one of my greatest mysteries lol

I was severely anemic for few years and i got hooked up on "salt"... damn the remarks i used to get from my family, relatives and friends was pretty annoying!

wax aan ahayn addict laygu ma waci jirin! my cousin used to announce to every house hold I enter that am a 'saltaholich'.. lol

anyway, that just explains everything smile.gif

wait until I tell them to pay back for all those years of bugging me... they better be sorry i tell ya! :mad:

Salaam

44.gif

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

Nayaa since when did I tell households of your deep dark secrets. I do admit to following you in to the kitchen and hiding all forms of salt from you, and I do that entirely out of love I tell ya.

So you’re not the only one. But I’m glade you read this posting its good to see that you can find and relate to people that although you don’t know personally, you feel that they truly understand you. Ah the power of SOL. damn I feel like an Advertisement tool for SOL.

Join now and get entertainment, inspiration and advice, all for free and all under the same roof :-D

Delusional, I think I need to sleep.

Wasalaam folks