Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Facebook - The Good and The Bad

^ I am surprised more people do not feel the way Ngoge does .... my sentiments exactly.

I opened the account because the Muslim students Association send out notification of events on their FB group.

My biggest reason is the privacy settings are a complete joke and their is no way im uploading pictures of myself or other personal info on that junk.... i literally have 100s of friends requests and applications that i have not accepted when im asked i just tell my friends that yes i have an account but no i do not use it at all.

loooool, I hate FB so much 3 co-workers and i lobbied the IT-manager to setup a policy to block it on our proxy :D our report detailed a bunch of security risks (most of which have been fixed by now)you would not believe how !@#$ ppl were ........ after a month the policy was reversed.

Nephissa   

The good: Viewing the friends of those who have their profiles viewable to all users. Dad badan badan baan arkay.. :D

The bad: My Mum joined recently although she's not done anything on it yet and I'm her only friend. Time to warn my younger brother. Him and his gfriend talk to each other on their 'walls' quite often [honeymoon stage arrrghhh!]

Serenity, Ciao abbaayo.

Baashi   

NPR's 'Talk of the Nation' weighed in on this very issue the other day -- Listen 35 minutes of discussion where privacy gurus dissect the issue in great detial.

Get smart and go for more useful social networking site Linkedin. Type your company or school and watch scores of familiar names pop up -- in some cases with fancy titles! You'd be surprised to find out that many of ur classmates and former colleagues use this thing. The other thing is job offers -- you will receive plenty communserate with your profile and credentials.

One more thing 60 Minutes of CBS had a good 12 minutes on Facebook. Dig it if interested.

STOIC   

I joined facebook back in 2005 before the place turned out to be some sort of a dark moody place that undermined your privacy and destroyed your little privacy and turned you into a carnal alien. I admit resignedly that I used to be a facebook addict.I always diverged from the privacy issue in a haste when I was young and virile, but not anymore.I wistfully ponder on the privacy issue before I post anything about my life! I hardly visit the place unless I got a friendly email from old time friends through facebook. There are few positive thing about facebook that I'd have never thought was possible without it. I found beautiful, charming, and educated Somali sisters that were worth interesting to talk to through facebook. Now I try not to shun away from the place like plague even though I’m past that stage of glaring at the pictures of hotties anymore.It galls me to see how many of the Somalis in facebook have formed many tribal XY AND z GROUPS ( i Came ACROSS OF tribal X and Y group on facebook groups :rolleyes: )

-Lily-   

Good: not sure

Bad: it's very dull.

Msn is way friendlier to keep in touch with friends and family, if telephone and face to face fails.

Kool_Kat   

The Good: a nice way to keep in touch with long lost high school/college/co-worker friends...

The Bad: friend requests from people I've never ever met...If I don't already know you, I don't want to get to know you now, specially through FB...Shoot...

The Ugly: getting poked or receiving emails from non-friends, just so they can see profile pics when you poke back or reply to their email... :mad:

Dadka qaarkoodna waxaan kala yaaba, they post every little dhuuso, then later complain about privacy...WHAT!!! :confused:

Ciao